Sponsored

Please help a newbie with camber

stang302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So I was talking with a local race mechanic, and (hopefully I'm getting this right) I think he said if I wanted to do a moderate adjustment, one that I could set and leave for both the track and the street, that I could just do camber bolts in the front, and I think he said you can get enough adjustment from the rear without having to buy anything. Has anybody else experimented with a moderate setup that works on both street and track? Can I get enough adjustment in the rear without needing something like the steeda arms, for example? I'm not at all questioning what he was telling me, but was wondering if anybody else has tried a similar setup and had any recommendations, or if it's better to go with camber plates and change back and forth from steet to track. I appreciate any input/suggestions. Currently I'm running the SuperSports on the street, and have Cup 2's for the track. Will probably try Hoosiers once I wear through the Cup 2's.
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
You don't need anything extra for adjustment in the rear. The stock parts there will get you "enough".

The fronts, I think you can only get another 0.25 degree with the shouldered service bolt. That'd put you somewhere in the -0.5 degree range. That may work for your needs, but it's a pretty minor amount.

I have Maximum camber plates on mine and had it aligned to -2 degrees. I marked off the position and then I just kicked it back to something sane by eyeball for street driving. It's really easy to adjust camber with the plates. Just jack up the front, loosen 3 bolts and push or pull. I really like the flexibility there.

Last edited:
OP
OP

stang302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You don't need anything extra for adjustment in the rear. The stock parts there will get you "enough".

The fronts, I think you can only get another 0.25 degree with the shouldered service bolt. That'd put you somewhere in the -1.5 degree range. That may work for your needs.

I have Maximum camber plates on mine and had it aligned to -2 degrees. I marked off the position and then I just kicked it back to something sane by eyeball for street driving. It's really easy to adjust camber with the plates. Just jack up the front, loosen 3 bolts and push or pull. I really like the flexibility there.
Thanks. If I'm going to put around 3,000 miles/year on the street, and do maybe 2 track days a year, do I want to add some negative camber to the rear, or just leave it alone?

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Actually, I just found my alignment sheet. It came stock with -0.3 degrees in the front. From what I remember, that bolt will still only get you another quarter degree, so -0.5 is a pretty light amount. This is why most people are doing plates if they want any sort of track camber adjustment.

As for the rear, mine stock was -0.5 and they kicked it out to max with the stock hardware which was -1.17. I'm leaving mine at that and I'm driving a lot more than that on the street. But the rear is also a major PITA to adjust from what the guy told me.

OP
OP

stang302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
How much street driving since you had it done? Enough where you would notice if the rears were going to wear unevenly on the street?

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Only a few hundred miles so far and 3 track days, not enough to notice any unevenness, but I don't expect tires to have a ton of longevity in this car anyway.

In your case if you're legitimately only putting 3k miles a year on it, your tires will probably be aged out at 4-5 years regardless of the evenness of the wear.

OP
OP

stang302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
In your case if you're legitimately only putting 3k miles a year on it, your tires will probably be aged out at 4-5 years regardless of the evenness of the wear.
Good point. I'm thinking maybe I'll get camber plates and switch the front back and forth. Probably leave the rear alone and just monitor tire wear as I go. Thanks for the input. :cheers:
Sponsored