Sponsored

Performance Package Front Brembo Pad Replacement - Anything to look out for?

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Hi Guys,

My car only has 7000 miles on it but I decided I had to ditch the stock pads, I couldn't handle the squealing and the dust anymore. The stock pads provide great stopping power, but they suck for a daily driver. I am swapping for the PowerStop Z23 pads. Hoping the new pads alleviate some of the grabby-ness at slow speeds too.

So... I've done plenty of brakes in the past, and just wondering if there is anything special I need to be aware of on the front Brembos? Are the caliper mounting bolts Torx? And if so, does anyone know what size? In the past I've always just used a C clamp and the old pad to push the pistons back in, will that be okay on the Brembos? My car has never been tracked and I would have to imagine the fluid is in good shape so I'm not planning to bleed them.

Anyhow, just looking for any general tips and pointers to make the job easier! Thanks in advance guys!

--Tom
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Don't have to pull the calipers to change pads. They are open at the top so you just push the pistons back and pull pad out. Easy

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Don't have to pull the calipers to change pads. They are open at the top so you just push the pistons back and pull pad out. Easy
Seriously? So is there a retaining pin or anything? I'll have to get out on Youtube! Or, maybe there is a video on American Muscle? Thanks!

Anybody know where I can find a video showing how to change the pads?

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Found one....

[ame]

Sorry guys, I should have just searched before I posted! Thanks again!

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
And here is one more in case anyone is interested...

[ame]

Sponsored

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Since the calipers should float, can a guy just give the caliper a push and a pull to move the pistons back into the caliper before removing the pads?

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
They don't float in that sense. The two times I've taken mine off there is enough wiggle room to just push up and pull out. In this video shows a way to spread if needed. [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]cDwjhn_D_O0[/MEDIA]"]

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Ford service manual says 150 lb-ft for the lug nut torque rather than the 135 in the first video. Also my practice is to only lower the car enough to keep the wheel from turning before torquing . . . just because. :)

Has anyone found a good pad which eliminates the low speed grabby-ness? FYI my oem PP GT Brembo pads didn't squeal on my 15 in 31K of driving and haven't so far in 5K on my 18 GT PP. We won't talk about dust. I just pretend it is road dust being sucked through the wheels. At least the oem and my Forgestar wheels are black and simply transition from gloss to matte finish.:D

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Ford service manual says 150 lb-ft for the lug nut torque rather than the 135 in the first video. Also my practice is to only lower the car enough to keep the wheel from turning before torquing . . . just because. :)

Has anyone found a good pad which eliminates the low speed grabby-ness? FYI my oem PP GT Brembo pads didn't squeal on my 15 in 31K of driving and haven't so far in 5K on my 18 GT PP. We won't talk about dust. I just pretend it is road dust being sucked through the wheels. At least the oem and my Forgestar wheels are black and simply transition from gloss to matte finish.:D
I know there are a lot of folks that like the z23 and z26 powerstop pads. Lots less dust but your gonna lose some performance...never track those pads either!! Daily should be just fine.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one. I have a pair of Brembo calipers ready and waiting for an install later this summer and am trying to decide on pads. I know that the dust from the oem pads combined with my OCD would kill me. Is the Powerstop Z26 still regarded as the best option for a street-driven only car? I saw that Steeda has StopTech Posi Quiet pads on their site: anyone have experience with those?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one. I have a pair of Brembo calipers ready and waiting for an install later this summer and am trying to decide on pads. I know that the dust from the oem pads combined with my OCD would kill me. Is the Powerstop Z26 still regarded as the best option for a street-driven only car? I saw that Steeda has StopTech Posi Quiet pads on their site: anyone have experience with those?
Z26 or G-LOC GS-1.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Thanks brotha, I also saw the GS-1. Is it worth the price premium over the Z26? ($400ish for all 4 vs $120 for the powerstop) I'll bite the bullet if it is. I know these along with new rotors will last a long time for me on this car.
Sponsored