• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Older guy with manual

Rfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I want to order a 2024 with manual, as I know it will be more fun to drive. But, I am 73 and wondering if a manual might become tiresome for me after a while. I will not track drive it at all - just around town to restaurants, stores, etc. Any of you older guys with a manual have an opinion?
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I would say that, as long as you're not stuck in heavy stop-and-go traffic on a regular basis, enjoying the visceral rush of driving a manual V8 in a Mustang or Dark Horse would be completely doable at most any age ... and an awesome thing to do!

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
How do you do with stairs?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I checked your local dealer: they have a manual GT in-stock right now. Test drive? :rockon:

https://www.hardyforddallas.com/new-DallasGa-2024-Ford-Mustang-GT-1FA6P8CF4R5417941

Younger than you OP, but all my vehicles are now and have previously been manuals. I can't speak to the '24, but I'd think it's not far removed from the '22 or '23.

I feel no greater effort driving Skye than I've had with other vehicles. If anything, the pedal action is smoother while having more positive engagement. Rowing gears is firm but without any great effort in arm or leg.

Along the lines of shifting effort is how the clutch engages. Using the factory clutch assist spring, some report an "on" or "off" engagement, an all-or-nothing feel. I did. Many of us have changed the stock spring to Steeda's.

https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/steeda-s650-clutch-assist-spring-now-available.160081/

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-7033-ford-mustang-clutch-spring-assist

Looks like the spring is available and Steeda is still testing a replacement perch. In the mean time, reads like the Steeda spring will work with the factory perch.

@SteedaTech might be able to provide updates on the perch.

If you do buy the car and consider swapping the assist spring, it's a simple change for the individual or their mechanic.

Last edited:

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
Hey, who you calling "older?" LOL

If you don't do a ton of driving I don't think you'll have any issue with it. It's a very easy clutch and shits smoothly. Unless you dive 1,000 miles a week up and down mountains I think you'll enjoy it.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I want to order a 2024 with manual, as I know it will be more fun to drive. But, I am 73 and wondering if a manual might become tiresome for me after a while. I will not track drive it at all - just around town to restaurants, stores, etc. Any of you older guys with a manual have an opinion?
honestly? Great question.
It really depends on where you live.

If youre often in stop and go traffic like rush hour freeways, etc. or if you have very long drives in congested traffic, get the auto.

I got the 6 speed years ago because I wanted to row my own. In SoCal, that got old fast.

next far will be auto for me.

if you have the luxury of long, leisurely drives often, the manual might be more fun.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1

I think only you can answer that. Unless you have a physical impairment that would keep you from operating the clutch I feel you would be fine. Since the S550 the clutches have slave cylinders and is easy on the leg. I am 60 and will have either a manual M2 or a new S650.

mks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse (Grabber Blue)
I think only you can answer that. Unless you have a physical impairment that would keep you from operating the clutch I feel you would be fine. Since the S550 the clutches have slave cylinders and is easy on the leg. I am 60 and will have either a manual M2 or a new S650.
This. Plus the Auto Hold feature works well at providing "clutch leg relief" in stop and go, long lights, etc.

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
Yeah, I bought one and I love it. I don't daily the car, so I'm good with having it. Also, I've taken 2 hours road trips, and I've had no issues. Even around town, with stop and go traffic I feel good about having it. Sounds like you really want to buy one, so you'll decide quickly. Have you driven one yet? Before I bought mine, the dealer let me take one home. I was sold.

I have been driving a manual for years, but had to stop years ago because of medical issues. But I decided my recovery was good, so I went for it. No regrets.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
This. Plus the Auto Hold feature works well at providing "clutch leg relief" in stop and go, long lights, etc.
I just put the car in neutral and rest my foot on the brake.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 GT vert A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 A10 / ā€˜23 Mach 1 6MT
Iā€˜m a couple years older than you and my 2023 Mach 1 is zero problem. Factor in too I have a recent total left knee replacement.

These cars require very little clutch effort and the engagement is smooth and linear. Thereā€™s no chance Iā€™d risk mucking it up with this Steeda kit unless I had a problem I thought it might solve. You wonā€™t. No need to fix what ainā€™t broke.

Bottom line: get the hawgleg and have fun!

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Rfox I would say the Tremec and the V8 are the only reason to buy a Mustangā€¦Unless you go drag racing or have only one leg go for the manual as they are so much more FUN and you are in tune / have a connection between man & machine only a manual transmission gives !

Pierre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I think you should get the manual, I'm 63, have a 2008 f250 with a manual and ordered the GT with one. It is a smooth shifting trans, especially if you are accustomed to driving a larger truck every day. You will be happy!
Sponsored