Sponsored

oil smell

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I just noticed some smell of oil while driving my 16 GT today. I only have about 40k miles on it and just got the oil change about a month ago. I didn't see anything after opening the hood except for some debris like small twigs and little pipe needles from my tree covering most of the screen near the wipers. I got the large clumps out. It does look like the oil is at the full mark or maybe a touch above, but it was hot when I checked. Any idea what it could be? I know the tireman place I went to didn't do a very good job installing new tires, so now I'm wondering if they did something wrong changing the oil too.
Sponsored

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
maybe they spilled some, dripped down on the headers, etc.. and you smelled it burning off?

or, perhaps they spilled it all inside the plastic under skirting and didnt clean it up?

Stng50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your valve covers may be leaking sightly onto the headers. mine just started doing it
Check the bolts on the valve covers as a few were loose on mine, especially the ones at the back near the firewall.
That is probably where it is leaking from...

vDrast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Serg
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had an oil smell on my 15 GT at about 30k miles and the oil was from the driver side valve cover.
The oil would leak onto the exhaust manifold and actually cause smoke once the engine would heat up.
My assumption is the valve cover but i'd still have a shop inspect it or get the car lifted up at the least

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that is what I'm guessing it is. I had my dad look at a couple days ago and he didn't see anything. But then again he didn't do anything and we didn't even know how the engine cover comes off to look at the engine better. He used to be good at working on cars back in the day, but that was a long time ago before all the electronics and such and I have never been very mechanically inclined. He said its probably nothing to worry about, but I could take it to a shop (in which I have no idea where to go anymore after the recent Tireman incident) or a Ford dealer to check it out. I really don't want to put a lot of money in it since I was planning on trading it in soon, but now it may be awhile until I can get my credit back up a bit.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I've been through this multiple times in the past few months, with multiple trips to the dealer and warranty work. The first time, it was loosened passenger side valve cover bolts, but they did the TSB on both sides, which includes installing additional valve cover bolts (the 2015-2016 came with too few bolts in some instances). A few weeks later, it was smoking again, and I took it back. They replaced the valve cover gaskets. A few weeks later, it happened again, and they replaced the PCV, valve cover gaskets, and PCV hose. Everything was fine for about two months, then I took the family on a long Covid-tine drive, and when we pulled back into our driveway, could see a little smoke from the engine bay. It turned out to be the #8 plug well sleeve had become unseated. That was two weeks ago, no issues since.

JR

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had an oil smell on my 15 GT at about 30k miles and the oil was from the driver side valve cover.
The oil would leak onto the exhaust manifold and actually cause smoke once the engine would heat up.
My assumption is the valve cover but i'd still have a shop inspect it or get the car lifted up at the least
You were right, took it in the other day and he said it was the driver's side valve cover getting loose. They have to order a gasket and I have to go back, but he said it should still be under warranty.

vDrast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Serg
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You were right, took it in the other day and he said it was the driver's side valve cover getting loose. They have to order a gasket and I have to go back, but he said it should still be under warranty.
Nice Medsport!

thanks for the update, hopefully they do take it under warranty and that oil smell should be gone.I don't think it should have leaked a lot of oil but be sure they check all the fluid levels and clean off any leftover residue and you should be golden. :)

mjribeiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Sierra HD, 15 Acadia, 21 Aviator, 10 Explorer
I just noticed some smell of oil while driving my 16 GT today. I only have about 40k miles on it and just got the oil change about a month ago. I didn't see anything after opening the hood except for some debris like small twigs and little pipe needles from my tree covering most of the screen near the wipers. I got the large clumps out. It does look like the oil is at the full mark or maybe a touch above, but it was hot when I checked. Any idea what it could be? I know the tireman place I went to didn't do a very good job installing new tires, so now I'm wondering if they did something wrong changing the oil too.
I notice the same on my 2016 the last week or so. ~65k miles. Had it on the lift today and it is definitely the drivers side valve cover, near the firewall. I assume this is not a covered repair if you are outside the 5/60?
Sponsored

Last edited: