• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Oil level after delivery of new car?

FrankAR15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus IS Fsport, Toyota 4Runner, Genesis coupe
Mine is just barely over the minimum. Generally In My other vehicles that has been a quart low.
Just wondering if any of yours have been coming this way?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
If you did not already know, oil expands when hot, which will affect the readings.

I check mine on level ground, after the car has been at its normal operating temperature and sitting.

Taking hot and cold readings after purchase, I've noted markedly different levels. I always check hot.

With the car at operating temps, are you still seeing at the minimum?

From the 2024 Owners Manual, printed page 299:

"CHECKING THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL

1. Make sure that your vehicle is on level ground.

2. Check the oil level before starting the engine, or switch the engine off after warm up and wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan.
Note: Checking the oil level too soon could result in an inaccurate reading.

3. Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a clean, lint-free cloth.

4. Reinstall the dipstick and make sure it is fully seated.

5. Remove the dipstick again to check the oil level.
Note: If the oil level is between the maximum and minimum marks, the oil level is acceptable. Do not add oil.

6. If the oil level is at the minimum mark, immediately add oil.

7. Reinstall the dipstick. Make sure it is fully seated.

Note: The oil consumption of new engines reaches its normal level after approximately 3,000 mi (5,000 km).

Note: Increases in oil level can occur from frequent short trips that do not allow the engine to get to operating temperature, as well as frequent idling or low speed driving for long periods of time.

Note: If oil levels are continuously noted above the maximum mark, have your vehicle checked as soon as possible."

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
If you did not already know, oil expands when hot, which will affect the readings.

I check mine on level ground, after the car has been at its normal operating temperature and sitting.

Taking hot and cold readings after purchase, I've noted markedly different levels. I always check hot.

2. Check the oil level before starting the engine, or switch the engine off after warm up and wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan.

Note: If the oil level is between the maximum and minimum marks, the oil level is acceptable. Do not add oil.

Note: The oil consumption of new engines reaches its normal level after approximately 3,000 mi (5,000 km).

Note: Increases in oil level can occur from frequent short trips that do not allow the engine to get to operating temperature, as well as frequent idling or low speed driving for long periods of time.

Note: If oil levels are continuously noted above the maximum mark, have your vehicle checked as soon as possible."
The best way to check oil level is when the engine is cool not when it's warm.

OP
OP

FrankAR15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus IS Fsport, Toyota 4Runner, Genesis coupe

Thanks for the lesson in checking oil, lol.
Can you now tell me the oil level your Mustang came with off the lot?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Can you now tell me the oil level your Mustang came with off the lot?
The instructions I posted above are for a 2024. This post will be of my experience with a '22, Gen 3 engine.

First time I checked, hot, it was right at the "Full" level, or very close to it. Within the range of the top "x".

First time I checked cold, it was close to 2 "x" positions down from the top "x".

The dipstick on Ford V-8s has always been something of a PITA. Often, putting the stick in one orientation yields oil on one side, the other, possibly unreadable. So you can flip it, to see if it reads better one way or another. Mine reads best with the "x" markings facing the engine block.

Checking hot, the stick is often more difficult to read. It helps to move the stick in bright light or the Sun.

Checking cold, the stick can be easier to interpret.

Hot or cold, however you're checking, do so in a consistent manner and place.

While still learning the car, I recorded hot and cold readings and set aside to look back at later.

Last edited:

DAS5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Mine is just barely over the minimum. Generally In My other vehicles that has been a quart low.
Just wondering if any of yours have been coming this way?
My 2024 Dark Horse was delivered at the minimum dipstick mark, at a cold reading. I checked the digital owners manual and it recommended filling to the 3/4 mark between the low and high marks on the stick. So, I followed the manual.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Something related to this thread: record keeping.

I have a simple notebook I use for writing down almost anything. I might not remember what something was, but I know where to find that information.

The first few drives in-particular, I'd do a general check of the car. Fluid levels, tire readings, etc, to include using a torch while crawling under the car.

For the overwhelming majority of us, things are OK. For a few, doing some checks as described can help stop something before it becomes a bigger issue.

After the first several weeks, I then got into a routine of checking things as I felt necessary. Oil levels are now checked once a month.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Checked mine and was right at the add mark. I added 1/2qt put things in the middle zone. 850 miles oil is still in the middle. I don't baby the car but haven't gone to redline yet but close. I will change break in oil out at around 2k with Ford blend. On my 2011 I waited to 3k and it uses no oil no tick and was broken in the same way.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
To the OP: My GT was right at halfway between the marks at delivery.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
It isn't so much the oil expands when hot, but you need to let the engine sit a bit after running for the oil to drain back to the pan for a correct reading

ZL1_1LE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT, 24 Eco , 22 ZL1_1LE, 21 Rubicon
Mine was at the bottom of the add mark as well, so just added enough to bring it half way up the crosshairs on the dipstick.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 EcoBoost Rapid Red
Mine was at the full mark. I don't know if the dealer topped it up or not, but it was fine.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Checked mine and was right at the add mark. I added 1/2qt put things in the middle zone. 850 miles oil is still in the middle. I don't baby the car but haven't gone to redline yet but close. I will change break in oil out at around 2k with Ford blend. On my 2011 I waited to 3k and it uses no oil no tick and was broken in the same way.
First time Mustang owner here (GT) and just passed the 500 mile mark. My oil level seems fine so far (knock on wood). I've been leaning towards changing my break in oil around the 1500 - 2000 mile mark but I plan on running Motorcraft full synthetic. Honestly changing at the 2K mark sounds good to me and I will probably do it again around the 5K mark. Any particular reason your going with the Ford blend? I used the blend for years in my other vehicles without issues but I figure the Stang deserves the good stuff so why not, lol.
Sponsored