NZ Spec'd compared to USA Spec'd

NZmuzzy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Ok, if your ever looking at purchasing items overseas it is always good to know what spec's your talking about to make sure your parts fit when you get them. I've looked at all sorts of pretty pictures, made some mistakes and I think I'm getting a bit of an idea of what we get in new Zealand.

First indication I got was when talking to several dealer salesmen was names like, performance pack exterior, premium etc met with blank looks and comments like, 5.0 or ecoboost.

Now, if your like me and want to personalise your car you gotta get the right part. It is bloody expensive to try and swap something once shipped.

My experience is based on the GT, I know little about the ecoboost so if anyone is out there post up your findings

Now here is a list I found from cjpony parts

http://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/euro-spec-us-spec-mustang-differences

It's a good start. Now some things that i didn't see there:

Exhaust. Going from LHD to RHD does more than put the steering wheel on the right side (yes that was intended). The room for the headers is different (reference Streetfighter)

The reason for the full exhaust giving so much extra power/torque is due to our Australian headers being restrictive.
As you will note by the pictures below, the Australian RH header has been modified and reduced in diameter versus the original U.S header.
This is so they they can accommodate the steering column for the RHD vehicles.
Unfortunately this also restricts flow and therefore ultimate power.

To achieve the results as per the graph above would require the headers and cats to be replaced with headers and high flow cats.
Streetfighter can offer headers and cats to suit your standard rear exhaust section so, you can achieve the power you desire , with the close to standard sound levels.

So be careful if buying from overseas (Go see CTB in Auckland, speak to Sam)

Chin Spoilers: (correct me if I am wrong), the chin spoiler on the GT is the performance pack one suggesting the GT also gets the performance pack belly pan and this is different to a stock American GT. So be very careful if buying to see if the chin spoiler your looking at fits all makes, performance pack only, not performance pack i.e. Cervini. If someone could help me out in this?????

Trunk Lid (I know but you can't fight foreign terminology). People, ours aren't the same as the American. We run the round faux (false, not real, immitation) gas cap. It is held on by 4 line up points that form a circle. the stock american trunk lid (so quaint) has a different configuration of the line up points so if you want to ditch the round thing in favour of say a black GT you gotta buy a new trunk lid. Unless your good at cutting and filling, oh bugger that for $USD100 but a used lid and ship it out.

Wheels: there performance pack wheels

Can anyone add to this, correct me? I would like to know so I don't waste money and time. This maybe help to you.

Oh and if you like to keep it stock, why?
Sponsored

Last edited:

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah there's some pretty good info on the Oz and UK sections about what works and what doesn't.

I'm a Kiwi, living temporally in Oz and will ship the Mustang back with me when I come back home. It's been really great to have the resource of all this experience to guide my purchases, even before the car has arrived.

OP
OP

NZmuzzy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Well if you see anything useful pin it up here. It'll save us and any new bods from having to trawl through all the threads to find the same info.

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Well if you see anything useful pin it up here. It'll save us and any new bods from having to trawl through all the threads to find the same info.
Hah, I think it would fill up pretty quickly, the Aussie section is full of great info!

Sponsored

OP
OP

NZmuzzy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yep but I think those differences that will stop us buying the wrong bits (our cars are not stock american) plus useful confirmed tips on subjects such as spare tyre that have caused others to research. Just the end summary really.

Seeing quite a few NZ spec'd mozzies around now.

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
OP
OP

NZmuzzy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
or get a new Streetfighter exhaust straight out of CTB Performance in Auckland. It is designed for the RHD mustangs, designed and made in Australia.

I've got one coming on my mustang that I am picking up TOMORROW.

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
thats gonna sound absolutely amazing with long tail headers. Would love to hear that!

I had long tail headers and hiflow cats bolted up to a Remus system on my V8 commode and it sounded amazing.

I am currently waiting for mine to arrive in Baltimore
Sponsored