Sponsored

Not thrilled with the way this thing channels water

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I know the car is supposed to evacuate rainwater via the rocker panel, which is weird but seems ok since air will e moving through there to dry it up. But, It's also laying on the door threshold (or whatever you call the area above the rocker panel) beside and on top of the mustang logo. That can't be ok long term. If the water seeps under the logo foot thingy (and I presume it does) and lays under there I can't see anything happening other than rust. Maybe it's dripping off the door but that's still not ok. What's the deal?
Sponsored

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
Mine gets wet underneath the door (outside the rubber seal) but does not collect water. I dry it with a towel after handwashing to prevent water spots. I do not notice water on the illuminated MUSTANG at bottom of door sill.

That said, based on subject of this thread I thought this was going another direction. Those of us with ragtops who get really wet when opening the door in the rain know all about lack of rain channeling.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I thought this was going to be along the lines of how your car channels what seems to be gallons of water all over the doors, rear bumper, 3/4 panel after washing and thoroughly drying your car (even blowing). Seems to be an infinite supply of residual water to ruin your just cleaned car as soon as you drive a few feet lol.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I thought this was going to be along the lines of how your car channels what seems to be gallons of water all over the doors, rear bumper, 3/4 panel after washing and thoroughly drying your car (even blowing). Seems to be an infinite supply of residual water to ruin your just cleaned car as soon as you drive a few feet lol.
Yes it's very annoying, and especially if you take a drive with the windows down after washing it. It drops right in the door on my arm. I understand nothing is perfect, but I've never had another vehicle that did that.

My 86 camaro collected so much water in the T top storage area (when T tops were NOT removed) I kept a kool aid pitcher in the back to scoop it out after a big rain. there was every bit of 2 gallons in there if it was parked even slightly with the nose higher than the tail.

But back to the mustang..I wipe the water up after a wash as well, but there's no reason water should be standing on the sill plate (thanks for the correct terminology). I really think that's just asking for rot. Maybe it's extreme but I feel like I should run a little bead of silicone around the plate.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Channeling water?

I drove my 2015 vert through Birmingham, Alabama last winter through a Monsoon rainfall. Bumper-to-bumper traffic at about 50 mph on the Interstate. We hit more than a foot of standing water at a low spot. About 3 inches of green water rolled up the hood, over the windshield, across the top and down the back. It drove perfectly straight...right on through with no hydroplaning feel at all. I had the auto-trans in snow/wet and AT tires. The vert had absolutely no water entry at any point. I soon pulled over to check...not a drop in the interior nor trunk, and no sloshing of water in the doors.

Sponsored

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
Mine gets washed at least every 2 weeks, never saw more than a couple of drips in the door frame.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Same as above (if I wash the car).

You should see how a Subaru channels water... it's ridiculous.

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I apply wax, specifically McGuire's. . .water beads off like a ducks back

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I apply wax, specifically McGuire's. . .water beads off like a ducks back
I do as well but I'm more concerned with water getting under the sill plate and staying there.

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
That said, based on subject of this thread I thought this was going another direction. Those of us with ragtops who get really wet when opening the door in the rain know all about lack of rain channeling.
Exactly what I was thinking! :cheers:

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Usually after washing and drying, I take a leaf blower to blow water out of all the gaps and stuff.
And then as I am removing extra water, I open the doors and dry the door jambs. Then I pull in the garage to wipe down with quick detailer.
I usually end up with maybe a drop or two of water coming out of the door.

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
Usually after washing and drying, I take a leaf blower to blow water out of all the gaps and stuff.
And then as I am removing extra water, I open the doors and dry the door jambs. Then I pull in the garage to wipe down with quick detailer.
I usually end up with maybe a drop or two of water coming out of the door.
I do the same except I dry the whole car with the leaf blower. I noticed the water in the door jambs as well. I removed the illuminated sill plate and put weather stripping underneath it to prevent water from getting under it.

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
driving the car >50 mph is a necessity for me after a wash before I dry

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I do the same except I dry the whole car with the leaf blower. I noticed the water in the door jambs as well. I removed the illuminated sill plate and put weather stripping underneath it to prevent water from getting under it.
I tried but my water is pretty hard so it leaves water spots.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
In Rainey UK, never had any issues, only total pain is after washing and wiping the amount that drips down from the mirror, leaving water marks
Sponsored