Sponsored

No radio?

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
My car is a 2015 base model. When I started it today the radio never came on, not a peep or sign of power at all, but everything else seems to be working fine. The radio worked normally driving home last night, as it has every day since I bought the car new, no indication of any problem

The only glitch I've ever noticed before was maybe 2 - 3 months ago when I got in the car the usual pony graphic never showed on the screen, but the radio came on fine once I started the car.

The only other issue I've had even remotely related is the backup camera has intermittently not worked when I shift to reverse, but I don't know how that would affect the radio turning on when I start the car.

So I imagine a worst case scenario is a total failure of the head unit, or maybe some accessory module that might comtrol powering the radio on and off? I'd like to check the fuse before taking the car to a shop for this, does anyone know where I'd find that fuse? Is there anything else on the same circuit that would be affected by the same fuse the radio uses?
Sponsored

Indylatenight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
In my 16 Premium the fuse for the radio is #33 (20A Audio head unit). It is located on the right hand passenger footwell behind the panel. Doesn't look like there is anything else on that circuit. Hope this helps in some way.

OP
OP
Rick#7

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just as a quick update, when I got in my car last night to go home from work the radio came on normally, so it's obviously not a fuse. Now I have to wonder if this was a one time thing or is this going to be another intermittent issue like the backup camera, sometimes it works sometimes not? I can live with the backup camera not working on occasion, but not knowing if I'll have a working radio any time I get in my car will drive me crazy, and having 2 intermittent issues in my car will also seriously affect my enjoyment of owning it!

So, if this issue pops up again, knowing it's not a fuse at this point, what is more likely, that the radio itself is going bad? Or is there a module somewhere in the car that controls the radio powering on and off that could be the problem?

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Maybe it needs a hard reboot. I don't know how to do this on the Mustang, but on my Mazda cx5, I had the same issue with the backup camera not working and a hard reboot fixed it.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Just as a quick update, when I got in my car last night to go home from work the radio came on normally, so it's obviously not a fuse. Now I have to wonder if this was a one time thing or is this going to be another intermittent issue like the backup camera, sometimes it works sometimes not? I can live with the backup camera not working on occasion, but not knowing if I'll have a working radio any time I get in my car will drive me crazy, and having 2 intermittent issues in my car will also seriously affect my enjoyment of owning it!

So, if this issue pops up again, knowing it's not a fuse at this point, what is more likely, that the radio itself is going bad? Or is there a module somewhere in the car that controls the radio powering on and off that could be the problem?
Since the "power" switch on the radio is not a power switch, it is helpful to know that fuse number for the times when you need to do a hard power cycle of the radio. I've used it for that purpose more than once: if you pull the fuse out and replace it, it does what a power button is supposed to do :headbang:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rick#7

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since the "power" switch on the radio is not a power switch, it is helpful to know that fuse number for the times when you need to do a hard power cycle of the radio. I've used it for that purpose more than once: if you pull the fuse out and replace it, it does what a power button is supposed to do :headbang:
Thanks, I'll try that if this issue happens again!

Sheesh, I love the car but sometimes I really miss the simplicity of the '73 I used to have :headbonk:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Thanks, I'll try that if this issue happens again!

Sheesh, I love the car but sometimes I really miss the simplicity of the '73 I used to have :headbonk:
You might want to update it to MyFord Sync 5.11, also (the most current version of Sync available for the base radio). If you go to owner.ford.com, you can download it. It requires a thumb drive to put it onto, and ~20 minutes worth of idling.
Sponsored