New to Virginia

XakwardX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt magnetic grey
Hey guys I just moved from Washington to Hampton Virginia and had a few questions.

what is the yearly inspection consist of?

is there yearly emissions testing?

Any other car related info I need?

Thanks
Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Hey guys I just moved from Washington to Hampton Virginia and had a few questions.

what is the yearly inspection consist of?

is there yearly emissions testing?

Any other car related info I need?

Thanks
Hello there !

I grew up in Newport News and left when I went to college. Still home to me even though i have been in the DC/MD/VA area the past 9 years. Unless things have changed inspection is simple. No emissions in that part of Virginia. $16 should be the cost for annual inspection.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
I think $20 now, no Emission in Hampton. Basic safety inspection. Brakes, lights, horn, wipers…etc

OP
OP
XakwardX

XakwardX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt magnetic grey
I think $20 now, no Emission in Hampton. Basic safety inspection. Brakes, lights, horn, wipers…etc
ok do you know if they care about cel? I was thinking of putting long tubes on my car when I do a supercharger And assume they will throw codes

Sponsored

OP
OP
XakwardX

XakwardX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt magnetic grey

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Last edited:
OP
OP
XakwardX

XakwardX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt magnetic grey
Good resource
https://vatire.com/car-maintenance-tips/virginia-vehicle-inspection-check-list/
See #6

start at page 57
https://vsp.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Motor-Vehicle-Safety-Inspection-Manual-2021.pdf

Covers Airbag light 19VAC 30-70-290

Covers Air pollution control system or device
19VAC30-70-310.
I did find that va tire site and looked around. I also asked this same question on another platform and they are saying they just refuse to get inspected and pay the fix it ticket. I don’t know how much truth there is to that.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
ok do you know if they care about cel? I was thinking of putting long tubes on my car when I do a supercharger And assume they will throw codes
Why would long tubes and supercharger throw codes? The only way I’d if the tune or install is off which you wouldn’t want to drive on anyways

OP
OP
XakwardX

XakwardX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt magnetic grey
Why would long tubes and supercharger throw codes? The only way I’d if the tune or install is off which you wouldn’t want to drive on anyways
I wouldn’t trust catted longtubes to last very long and throw codes like non catted but the supercharger is just getting installed at the same time. I don’t want to run stock cats with a supercharger and have it take out the motor so I’d like to run long tubes but don’t want a headache with the inspection

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I wouldn’t trust catted longtubes to last very long and throw codes like non catted but the supercharger is just getting installed at the same time. I don’t want to run stock cats with a supercharger and have it take out the motor so I’d like to run long tubes but don’t want a headache with the inspection
I see. I don’t think cats die immediately after sc install. And also if The Hampton roads area doesn’t do emissions then you should be fine without cats but have your tuner tube for it. Does Kooks still offer their green cats? I think that what most FI people used to get to retain their cats. Maybe I’m missing something and someone else can chime in.

OP
OP
XakwardX

XakwardX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt magnetic grey
I see. I don’t think cats die immediately after sc install. And also if The Hampton roads area doesn’t do emissions then you should be fine without cats but have your tuner tube for it. Does Kooks still offer their green cats? I think that what most FI people used to get to retain their cats. Maybe I’m missing something and someone else can chime in.
I wouldn’t think so I’m just trying to get as much info as I can before I spend the money and time doing it. And I’m not sure if kooks does or not I can look and find out

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
You may need cats depending on how lazy the inspector is.
Sponsored