Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I'm writing something up today... those version.der files might kill this idea pretty quickly though. They have file sizes and hash values in them... and I'll bet not only in the plain text lines.
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
So regarding gracenotes, here is the issue as I see it!

GB5T-14G386-SB contains a bash script (GB5T-14G386-SB.sh) that removes the gracenotes.img from /fs/images/ and the Gracenotes version number /fs/rwdata/.Version/HB5T-14G423-*

HN1T-14G423-BA contains a file (gracenotes_new.img) that gets saved into /fs/images/

However, I see no mention of replacing the file removed from /fs/rwdata/.Version/

The following is only a guess on my part:
I think the version number gets updated when the .img file is first loaded. Since the update does not rm gracenotes_new.img once the GB5T-14G386-SB.sh script is run a second time the version number is removed, but the .img is NOT! and thus never reloaded.

Unfortunately the use of X.509 encryption makes it difficult to just alter the files within the tarballs. We will have to compare the .der encrypted certificates change other than the files specified within. If the data stays the same other than the file callout (name, size, hash value, and save location) it might be possible to write our own certificates. (this could lead to custom wallpapers and splash screens, by the way!) X.509 does seem to have a few security holes and no way to revoke valid certificates.

It would be so much nicer if we could just SSH into the APIM! ;)

RawisTheGameHhH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Conv't

GB5T-14G386-SB contains a bash script (GB5T-14G386-SB.sh) that removes the gracenotes.img from /fs/images/ and the Gracenotes version number /fs/rwdata/.Version/HB5T-14G423-*

HN1T-14G423-BA contains a file (gracenotes_new.img) that gets saved into /fs/images/

However, I see no mention of replacing the file removed from /fs/rwdata/.Version/

I think the version number gets updated when the .img file is first loaded. Since the update does not rm gracenotes_new.img once the GB5T-14G386-SB.sh script is run a second time the version number is removed, but the .img is NOT! and thus never reloaded.

Unfortunately the use of X.509 encryption makes it difficult to just alter the files within the tarballs. We will have to compare the .der encrypted certificates change other than the files specified within. If the data stays the same other than the file callout (name, size, hash value, and save location) it might be possible to write our own certificates. (this could lead to custom wallpapers and splash screens, by the way!) X.509 does seem to have a few security holes and no way to revoke valid certificates.

would looking at the navi files help you out? at least to compare what the navi update is doing to the gracenotes image?

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
would looking at the navi files help you out? at least to compare what the navi update is doing to the gracenotes image?
I have access to all of them, I just haven't snooped around in the nav files. It might be worth a look. For now I'm looking at using OpenSSL to figure out these encrypted certificates... I'm really hoping each one has the same key along with details about the particular files it pertains to. That would allow us to create our own certificates and install/run custom bash scripts. The first of which will create a file (similar to the .xml update verification) that contains the structure of the file system and all of the things contained within.

I doubt it'll be that simple though. That seems like a HUGE security issue that QNX would have never allowed to happen.

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Just wanted to follow up. I started the car the next morning and I got a notification stating it's been updated. After shutting off and restarting the car, the system shows the latest update.
Mine did this shit. I let it go an hour then said forget it. Turned the car off. I'll go back later and see if it works out the same way yours did.

Sponsored

RawisTheGameHhH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Conv't
can anyone confirm the cover art actually works in v2.2; meaning it shows the right art for all songs and not some generic cover art here and there?

im really not sure why the mp3 id tags arent displaying cover art; this has nothing to do with gracenote right? this worked flawlessly in 1.0!

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
can anyone confirm the cover art actually works in v2.2; meaning it shows the right art for all songs and not some generic cover art here and there?

im really not sure why the mp3 id tags arent displaying cover art; this has nothing to do with gracenote right? this worked flawlessly in 1.0!
I turned gracenote off and the album art is still a generic picture of the artist here and there

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Mine did this shit. I let it go an hour then said forget it. Turned the car off. I'll go back later and see if it works out the same way yours did.
Well I fixed that pretty quick.

Did a master reset and tried again. Update finished in 9 minutes :crazy:

ETA: Gracenote IS there. I have nav.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase

check pm :hail:

RawisTheGameHhH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Conv't

Sponsored