Sponsored

New 'hood struts' ?

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Original redline hood struts looking all manky and corroded. I might tidy up the brackets and replace the struts just in case the corrosion is a sign of future failure (also, the the rust looks awful).

There are several 'mustang strut kit' supliers, but does anyone know if these struts are pretty much a standard size/fitting thing that you can just pick up cheaper from a UK 'strut supplier'?

IMG_4816.JPG
Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wow they haven't lasted long. I was wondering this too as I still have the pre UK ones that had to be modified to fit our bonnets - I took an angle grinder to it lol

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Wow, thats some real poor quality there. I am intereste in the Ford Performance ones.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Wow they haven't lasted long. I was wondering this too as I still have the pre UK ones that had to be modified to fit our bonnets - I took an angle grinder to it lol
Wow, thats some real poor quality there. I am intereste in the Ford Performance ones.
Although its cheaper, I gather the FP banded kit is still using the smaller bracket that people were reporting 'hood flex' with. At the time, the redline kit was considered better even though in the UK we had to get our angle grinders out! All the aftermarket struts appear to be an identical design and look thinner than the chunky ones you see on a BMW for example.

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
ford ones have been on mine for nearly two years they work fine

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My redlines still look fine with no rust appearing and I've got hood vents so a fair chunk of shite gets in that engine bay!

Assuming the lift weight and the mounting holes are the same/same size I see no reason why a uK Strut supplier wouldn't be able to have one to fit the brackets etc.

Stevet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 Mustang Ecoboost Grabber Blue
I have Steeda hood struts that have been fitted for over 2 years. Still in as new condition, no rust or corrosion.

Deleted member 35644

Wow, thats some real poor quality there. I am interested in the Ford Performance ones.
Went with these instead of Redline, just to keep everything under the hood "Ford". Not satisfied. Both sets (2018 Mustangs) have gone weak within a year and no longer raise the hoods at all. I have to raise the hoods by hand, and pray the struts keep them open. Will probably switch both sets out for Redlines at some point.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Went with these instead of Redline, just to keep everything under the hood "Ford". Not satisfied. Both sets (2018 Mustangs) have gone weak within a year and no longer raise the hoods at all. I have to raise the hoods by hand, and pray the struts keep them open. Will probably switch both sets out for Redlines at some point.
Maybe a heat issue. My Evora tailgate struts went the same way (engine heat)

These guys supply aftermarket struts and recondition old ones as well https://www.sgs-engineering.com/

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
MRT for the win...no drilling required. I did the Redline once, big mistake.

Sponsored

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I've had the Ford Performance hood struts on my 2018 GT for over 6 months now with no issue whatsoever.
Brackets fitted perfectly & no raising of the bonnet either. Only issue was moving the hose to the windscreen washers as it was being pinched.

Deleted member 35644

I've had the Ford Performance hood struts on my 2018 GT for over 6 months now with no issue whatsoever.
Brackets fitted perfectly & no raising of the bonnet either. Only issue was moving the hose to the windscreen washers as it was being pinched.
Had this issue too....had to replace hoses on both cars. Pinched completely shut on the convertible, intermittent flow in the coupe. Not a fun job.

I guess I got struts from a bad batch. Neither set will raise the hood on their own anymore. About 14 months old.
Sponsored