Sponsored

New a suggestion with paint/body work...

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
So I had a factory defect on the lower rocker panel of my car. It’s the piece with the plastic that sits directly under the door when you open it.
Here’s the YT Vid to the removal process.

The dealer is ordering me a new piece and is painting it under warranty. Is there any reason to have the car their or would it automatically be color matched? I want the paint tech guy to have it look as good as possible. Should there be anything I tell them to do to keep this in mind with this particular piece?
Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
A. That's an awfully short name.

Check your title, maybe a typo. Maybe you meant need?

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Anyway... typically when they repaint a panel, they spray beyond the repair to "blend" the paint in, thereby ensuring that any difference in the paint color is not as noticeable. The part that you removed is not painted, so I'm really quite confused.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
if its not prepainted, i'd think they'll require you to drop off the car for the work to be done.. i would think so anyway.. if its prepainted, then they'll just have you come in, install the part, and then send you on your way.

TakenCharge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT vert
Really, it depends on the color you have, as well as how picky you are.
If you look closely at your bumpers, door handles, mirrors, and rocker moldings you will see they are not a perfect match from new. The reason for this is all these pieces are painted off site by another vendor. Angles also play a visual “trick” as to color match.
If you stare at this newly painted part, chances are, you can trick your brain into thinking there is a worse mismatch than there may be.
For most colors, your dealer should have a good match for that color, mainly through experience on what variant to use on a particular model. Or, just popularity of that color.
For whatever reason, J7 Magentic always looks a little off in our paint system.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
The piece is your lower rocker panel that is factory color matched. The plastic is the piece below that.

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Really, it depends on the color you have, as well as how picky you are.
If you look closely at your bumpers, door handles, mirrors, and rocker moldings you will see they are not a perfect match from new. The reason for this is all these pieces are painted off site by another vendor. Angles also play a visual “trick” as to color match.
If you stare at this newly painted part, chances are, you can trick your brain into thinking there is a worse mismatch than there may be.
For most colors, your dealer should have a good match for that color, mainly through experience on what variant to use on a particular model. Or, just popularity of that color.
For whatever reason, J7 Magentic always looks a little off in our paint system.

Thanks for the update. Yeah he pointed out that all the plastic pieces would look different variation from the metal. I don’t want to see any orange peel or dirt in the part. So hopefully it will be a very close match.

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I’m just hoping they will make the paint look great on that piece. Apparently they have ordered the part and they are waiting for it to come in. They are going to paint it first and then do an install which should be no time because it’s just clips that come on and off, just hope they make it look good. I have my first rock chip too in an inconspicuous spot that I’m going to try and hide...
Sponsored