Sponsored

NASA allows Camaro 2010+ but not Mustang

kutsyy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
'11 V6 Convertible, '19 GT Convertible (upcoming)
Vehicle Showcase

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
The rules state with top closed only. I found another Camaro race reference to the A-pillar plus closed roof being legal. Their tops are also rated to open and close at speed. I can only surmise that the top is significantly more robust than ours? That perhaps a closed roof adds enough structural rigidity to make it safe enough (driver risk)?

Also noted, the Mustang Vert is not specifically excluded in that list like some cars.

OP
OP

kutsyy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
'11 V6 Convertible, '19 GT Convertible (upcoming)
Vehicle Showcase
The rules state with top closed only. I found another Camaro race reference to the A-pillar plus closed roof being legal. Their tops are also rated to open and close at speed. I can only surmise that the top is significantly more robust than ours? That perhaps a closed roof adds enough structural rigidity to make it safe enough (driver risk)?

Also noted, the Mustang Vert is not specifically excluded in that list like some cars.
I was also surprised about "top closed only", but it sounds wrong that top is structural, may be it is just enough. As for opening while driving (up to 30mph), I thought it is because the back opens up so air can go through.

I think that someone had ZL1 vent and went thought the trouble to get NASA to inspect it, but since there is no GT350 vet, nobody bothered. Just wanted to see if I missed anything about the differences....

ticat928

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt PP1, 2018 Explorer XLT ecoboost
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/u.../2010/Nov/10los_angeles/1116_camaro_conv.html

"Additional safety structural reinforcements are designed to improve noise and vibration characteristics, while also contributing to the elimination of cowl/steering wheel shake. They include a hydrofromed tube in the A-pillars, an inner reinforcement bracket in the windshield header, a reinforced front hinge pillar and reinforcements inside the rockers."

I wonder if the A-pillar is actually reinforced enough to provide roll over protection? thus no need for roll bar