Sponsored

Mustang Whipple UPR Catch Can Install

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I ordered the UPR catch can for the Mustang / Whipple setup (from Beefcake - free plug for ya there Terry!) and it is truly top notch quality. I've owned the JLT seperator (my last Mustang with a ProCharger) and this is hands down a different league of better.
15_17_mustang_gt_single_valve_whipple_oil_catch_can_separator_4.jpg

A pet peev is the box had no installation instructions and the online instructions are for a non-Whipple setup. So first things first:

***DO NOT TRY TO UNSCREW THE CAN LIKE A JLT*** IT DOES NOT SCREW APART. It has a square drain drive plug in the bottom of the can to drain the oil from when it starts to collect.

With that warning up front I'll share the best installation instructions I can put together for it since I couldn't find this model's specific instructions online or on UPR's site:

Note - you do NOT need to remove the plastic tray on top of the radiator shroud / front bumper to do this installation, so save yourself that whole step if you've seen that somewhere else.

1. Remove the top visible bolt on the passenger side radiator/fan shroud.
IMG_1002.jpg

2. Unplug the sensor from the A/C line that's right next to the washer fluid fill neck and move it out of the way until you're done.

3. Disassemble the UPR mounting bracket from the catch can and set aside the spin off knob and washer for a moment.

4. Hand thread the mounting bracket bolt of the UPR bracket into the empty bolt hole you just created by removing the shroud bolt. Use a 13mm socket and ratchet to tighten it down firmly in place.

5. The wire harness runs directly underneath where the bottom of this can will rest, so you may have to compress the wiring harness down and slightly out of the way, which takes a little effort but be mindful not to overdo it so nothing inside the loom is damaged. Test fit the can without any hoses attached to it to make sure you have enough clearance to mount it using the mounting hole on the UPR bracket closest to the catch can itself (there are two holes to choose from.) Once it nestles in there neatly, remove the can for now.

6. There are two long hoses. The only one with a straight connector will clip onto the quick-connect fitting on the SIDE of the catch can. The other end of this line will snap in place of the PCV input line on the passenger side top hole of your Whipple. (Note - this hose has a metal check valve in the hose run with an arrow and that arrow should ALWAYS run away from the catch can and towards the engine.)
IMG_1003.jpg

7. Now that the main line is snapped into place (the push fittings are terrific), nestle your can onto the mounting bracket you bolted to your radiator/fan shroud earlier, again using the hole closest to the catch can. Grab the washer and knob you set aside earlier and place the washer over the mounting post and then the screw the knob down and tighten by hand until the can doesn't move/shift under light pressure.

8. Now snap the other long hose 90 degree fitting onto the top of the can's
quick-connect fitting. The other end of this hose has a 90 degree fitting that snaps onto the passenger side PCV valve.
IMG_1004.jpg

9. On the driver side, remove the Whipple supplied PCV hose from the engine to intake air housing. Replace it with the clean side seperator and hose from UPR. It also used a push button quick-disconnect to attach to the bottom of the Whipple intake tube and a nifty quick connect aluminum collar on the engine cover side to make removal from the engine cover simple and tool-less.
IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

That's it. Just double check you handiwork and be sure you plugged your A/C sensor back up over the top of your catch can (unless you routed yours underneath I guess - I
just didn't.)
IMG_1008.jpg

I have had mine on the car for 3 days and some spirited driving over a long weekend and was curious how much oil I had collected (since you can't tell from the outside of the can.) It had residual oil in the can and smelled like oil, but nothing had yet collected inside. I'll start checking it weekly and then adjust - I'm betting once an oil change is probably plenty for draining and maintenance.

So to check the can, I found the easiest way to do it is this:

1. Unplug the A/C sensor and move it out of the way for now.

2. Disconnect the top 90 degree fitting from the top of the catch can and move it out of the way.

3. Using two hands so as not to drop the metal knob and washer, unscrew the knob and set it aside. You can pull the washer off now or hold it in place while you lift the can up off the mounting bracket. Just be sure not to drop it whatever way you do it.

4. Now with the washer and knob safely aside (and not lost into the void of the engine belly pans) the can lifted out of the car, use the push button fitting to remove the straight line from the side of the catch can.

5. Take it to your bench and set it on a towel and have a cup or something to empty it into (never put the oil back into your engine.)

6. Use a 3/8" open end wrench (it's a square plug - not sure why - but it is) to remove the plug (standard thread - counterclockwise.)

7. Invert the catch can over the collection container of your choice and wait for it to finish draining.

8. Take a moment to use a flashlight and marvel at the internal construction of the can before you put the drain plug back with your 3/8" open end wrench until it's snug in place. Wipe it down with a rag if there's any mess.

9. Back in the engine bay, snap the straight fitting into the side of the catch can.

10. Place the catch can back onto the mounting post and using the washer and knob, hand tighten the can until it's secure.

11. Snap the quick connect 90 degree fitting onto the top connector.

12. Reconnect your A/C line sensor.

That's it - lots of steps but it takes about 30 seconds to remove it and put it back.

So in summary, no instructions is kinda weird - but hey - if I could figure it out anyone can. For the record, I had 1400 miles on my Whipple before I installed this catch can. When I removed the throttle body to do some inspection of hoses / internals, etc, I had to wipe up excess oil that had collected inside the blower housing from the PCV system on two occasions. A catch can is a MUST for this application, unless you want permanent degradation of the intercooler inside the blower from getting gummed up with oil mist and build up.

The kit is top notch - seriously - it's impressive. You get what you pay for. I went with the satin so it stood out a little. I'm happy with it. If you spent the money for the Whipple you need to get this. The hoses are serious business quality and the fittings alone make this hands down better than anything else you're going to find or farm up on the DIY side IMHO.

I hope this helps someone out!

:cheers::ford::cheers:
Sponsored