Sponsored

Mustang v6 potential buy?

Jp23rockstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Auto
I just saw that my local dealer has V6 model for $17,750 listed on their site. Its exterior is orange and transmission is automatic and it's from a rental fleet with 21,120 miles. Would any of you even consider a rental fleet car? If you did, would you keep your daily driver or trade/sell privately? If I kept my daily driver, that would make it probably easier come winter time. Opinions are appreciated but please make sure they are constructive.
Sponsored

baeghurst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
Hey I'd be leary of rental fleet car if it were me people drive those cars horribly and I'm sure a sporty car like a mustang I'm sure it was drove hard if I had to guess and being it's only 15k from the warranty being gone I'd just be scared imho to buy it. I could be wrong but that's just how I feel about it I bought mine new for 22500 idk if that's great but it was satisfactory to me lol

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
With the disappearance of the V6 from MY18 , I'd consider a rental. The cars could be driven hard but then again so can one that you get off a dealership lot. Only difference is it will be Ford Certified and have more of a warranty. I love my V6 so if you don't get this one, I'd seriously look for another. Good gas mileage and great sound/performance. Plus you'll save money which can go to making yours really special with aftermarket goodies.

OP
OP

Jp23rockstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Auto
With the disappearance of the V6 from MY18 , I'd consider a rental. The cars could be driven hard but then again so can one that you get off a dealership lot. Only difference is it will be Ford Certified and have more of a warranty. I love my V6 so if you don't get this one, I'd seriously look for another. Good gas mileage and great sound/performance. Plus you'll save money which can go to making yours really special with aftermarket goodies.
Maybe I wasn't clear but this was in a rental fleet but being sold at a Ford dealership. I see that you're from NY and snow is an issue there, do you drive your car in the winter or something else?

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I wasn't clear but this was in a rental fleet but being sold at a Ford dealership. I see that you're from NY and snow is an issue there, do you drive your car in the winter or something else?
Oh, so it should be a Ford Certified car then. Get an extended warranty and have fun! I drive mine all year. I bought snow tires and the car did very well over the past two winters. Took it slow and steady, no drama or stupid driving and I was fine. If you take it easy, get to understand how the car feels in snow, and get snow tires there's no real problem. I'm always more concerned with people hitting me!

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Show me a Mustang that isn't driven hard! I say go for it.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Honestly, that does not seem like a good deal to me.. it's a used Rental car, definitely has been abused..

My nearest local dealer has about 7 brand new 0 mile 2017 V6's sitting on their lot.. they're listed at 20k-ish.. you could probably talk them down to 18k.. maybe use x plan and ask about all available incentives. Also, with the 18's dropping soon and the V6 going out of production, I'm sure you will be able to find 0% for 60 months being offered by Ford Credit shortly.. right now I think it's at 1.9% for 6 months on new Mustangs.

Last, I see low mile used 2016 V6's with the 051A package going for about 15-18k locally.. and I'm talking sub 20k miles 1 owner cars still under warranty, most CPO. I'd say you're better off buying new if you're interested, if you just want a cheap used Mustang, keep looking, that's not a bargain.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
being it's only 15k from the warranty being gone I'd just be scared imho to buy it.
Do these just have a warranty from or purchased by the rental car company? Don't most factory warranties says for non-commercial use so void the second the first renter drives off the lot?

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
Look to the left, My car was a former rental I got it sept 9 2015 it is a 2015 and it had only ready for this 3600 on the clock. Why so low you may ask it was a problem child for the rental company, It had a bad 10 dollar unit behind the dash that kept locking the dashboard up and nothing on the dash would work. My dealer took 2 day to find the problem, I have now had her for 2 1/2 years and other than the drive shaft vibration that a lot of the cars have I have had no headaches with her at all, I got the full ford warranty on the car and where I live I paid less in sales tax and did not take that big hit when I drove it off the lot . mine is a convertible so they were asking 21k for her with the trade of my 05 acura tl a 10 year old car with 65k on the clock and some back and forth I was down in the low teens and my wife really like that she got her mustang back we added exhaust system , hood struts, AiRaid cold air system , and an MPT tune to the car it now keeps up with the GT's and when they find out its a six they don't believe me till I pop the hood.as for winter wife and I are retired and we have two cars the mustang and a Jeep wrangler so winter we tend to use the jeep more. so here are a few thoughts.
1) lower insurance for the V6.
2) because its used less sales tax and excises tax.
3) you still get a warranty on the car
4) the motor is almost bullet proof, its been in mustang for several years now with no big issues.
5) its fun to mod the V6 and cheaper to.
6) last but not least the money you just saved you can pocket or use to make the car more your own, you are going to save on gas over the GT's and you do not have worries about a turbo. its not fancy its an NA motor but boy are you going to have fun with it.
Its makes its power on reg gas 87 octane where both the Gt and the Eco Boost need 93 octane to make there stated HP, and 300 Hp is nothing to laugh at, remember its just a few years back that the big GT's were only making that so this car has more HP than some of the GT's that are still on the road.
If you are worried about it being a rental take it out for a run and I mean a good run do a WOT on it see how the trans shifts if its an auto put it though its paces you should be able to tell if its in bad shape , But remember ford knows that the mustang is going to be beat on its part of mustang history don't you think they beat the crap out if it in testing it they are made to be driven not just looked at.

Hope you find the car you can have fun with and enjoy

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I wouldn't. $17k is pretty high for a rented V6 with 21k miles. Plus those who rent Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers/Chargers will most likely abuse them. A level headed person would rent something like a Corolla or Sonata lol.

You can definitely find a better deal for 17k.

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
^^^^^ what Mark said :)

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My mother bought an ex-rental car when I was kid. Van lasted 250K miles...

The VAST majority of people treat rental cars just fine.

The problem is the car is ORANGE! Barf! ;)

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I wouldn't. $17k is pretty high for a rented V6 with 21k miles. Plus those who rent Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers/Chargers will most likely abuse them. A level headed person would rent something like a Corolla or Sonata lol.

You can definitely find a better deal for 17k.
^Price is too high
If you really want it, talk the dealer into a much better deal.
If they won't work with you...walk away.

OP
OP

Jp23rockstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Auto
I appreciate all the advice so far. Would 15k be a reasonable offer?

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
^Price is too high
If you really want it, talk the dealer into a much better deal.
If they won't work with you...walk away.
Yea to me it seems high because I got my V6 brand new with only like 15 miles for $21k. I also remember seeing a post earlier this year or sometimes late last year that was talking about new v6s and ebs being sold for 19k. It was legit.
And yea, don't ever walk into a dealer letting them know how much you are actually willing to pay imo.
Sponsored