Sponsored

Front Bumper Removal, and Bye Grille Shutters

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I installed two ZL-1 Addons 18-21 Mustang GT products. A tow hook and a license plate holder. Both use the same part bolted to the bumper, called the receiver. One receiver is for the tow hook and the other receiver is for the license plate holder. Left and right are not interchangeable. They are mirror images but you cannot flip them to the opposite side, it won't work.

I posted here because I noticed some install differences from what guys are reporting for the 2015-2017s. Even though it's all 6th generation, Ford made some changes in 2018-2021, and the existing YouTube videos and manuals have old info. And I'm bored.

First of all, the instructions included with the ZL-1 tow hook/license bracket are really bad. Instructions for left and right kits were sent both for the right side. The sizes of the sockets and allen hex given are incorrect. The photos they provide are also quite blurry. The directions also fail to mention what Ford calls a Shutter (and sells for $450). You will find the shutter in the Splash Shields section of parts.ford.com. I read Ford's own tow hook instructions and they fail to mention this shutter as well. Anyway, with these grille shutters in place you can no longer just "remove the belly pan," the whole front fascia needs to come off. This isn't too difficult but it is something to budget time for. Once you remove the Sight Shield all the screws up top are easy to see, even the two small ones at the end. The fog lights in my car had one connector to disconnect on each side.

By the way I did not end up reinstalling the grille shutter assembly. They aren't on every Mustang as far as I can tell. I've been peeking into grilles around here. There are also no warning lights, and no obvious negative effects. So I simply removed a bunch of weight and ugly plastic that can no longer jam or break. Good riddance. Goes in the junk pile with the "sound symposer," engine cover, and the original front plate bracket.

I did disassemble the shutter and kept the Actuator just in case the car throws a code. I could plug it in and tape it out of sight in case the computer just needs to see it's presence.

The Actuator from inside the grille shutter, it's pretty small:

Actuator.png

Oh yes, there are also TWO bumper to fender bolts now. Some say just one bolt. I say that must have changed for 2018. The bolts are integral to the pair of new Support Brackets and pass through the fender to be bolted at top. I did not have to remove the whole wheel well liner to get to them, just a couple clips at the front edge of the liner and then pulled the plastic back to reach the bolt heads.

After this, I took off the temp sensor and the connector plug for the actuator and zip tied them behind the bumper beam to a convenient wiring harness back there.

Finally keep the bolts loose until everything is in place so that you can line up the extension rod to pass through a hexagon opening in your lower grille. There was enough wiggle room and I did not have to cut the grille at all. Then tighten everything down. Blue Loctite is good. You will have to unscrew the extension rod that projects through the grill if you need to take the bumper off in the future. But that's all you will have to do.

The ZL-1 kit is not bad at all, it's real beefy. It secures to the extra thread length behind the bumper bolt. Thus pulling on the tow ring works WITH the bumper, and doesn't just rely on the strength of the bolts.

That socket set is Kobalt, by the way, and looks like it came with the car! A conincidence.

Front.JPG
Behind Bumper.JPG

These show the new bumper to fender connection points:

Holes 2.JPG
Holes 3.jpeg
Holes 1.JPG
Final.JPG
Sponsored

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
For the ZL1 mounting studs in your pic, do you know what size nut is used? I need to get one for another project and need the thread size.
Thanks!!