Sponsored

BREITLING, ROLEX, TUDOR, OMEGA, anybody into high end watches?

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have the same one, unused, because I decided to go with watch winders for the ones in rotation. I like it, just not using it. and it is a large logo, but that's Barton.

I recommend checking out Etsy; lots of good craftsmen out there; good place for watch straps, watch rolls, etc.
I have two ChronoSwiss watches. Here is a picture of my favorite:

Chronoswiss01.jpg
Sponsored

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Okay so I'm a bit confused on the terminology behind automatic watches. If mechanical watches have 'automatic movements' then why do I need to self-wind them to power up the battery? Are they powered my kinetic energy lol?

When I use the Breitlings and shake it, it doesn't turn on.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Okay so I'm a bit confused on the terminology behind automatic watches. If mechanical watches have 'automatic movements' then why do I need to self-wind them to power up the battery? Are they powered my kinetic energy lol?

I’m heading to bed but start here..........

https://www.prestigetime.com/blog/manual-wind-vs-automatic-watches.html

https://www.themodestman.com/watch-movements/

https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/quartz-mechanical-automatic-movements/

Horseplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Magne-Ride Recaro show stopper red

Not all mechanical watches are automatic winding. Some people prefer manual-winding movements.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Not all mechanical watches are automatic winding. Some people prefer manual-winding movements.
Exactly. I have one hand wound mechanical and I love the feeling of winding it. Kind of like a manual transmission.

To expand on these comments. There are two types of mechanical watches, hand wound and automatics. The former is self explanatory, the latter is a hand wound watch with a few extra parts, mainly a rotor that allows them to wind just by wearing/shaking it. Most automatic watches can be hand wound but there are some that cannot be.

Next up are watches that are powered on by a mainspring but by a battery. The most common of these watches are regulated by a quartz crystal. Very accurate, simple and can be cheap to make. There are also some very expensive quartz watches out there because the movement is not the only part of the watch.

Then there are the "others". Kinetic (hand movement and a capacitor), solar (solar cell and battery), & spring drive.

Here's another good article. Go down to C. for movements.
https://watchranker.com/types-of-watches/

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
This is, by far, the funniest statement I have ever heard concerning an automatic watch.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

What does this mean? Turn on?
I'm sure he meant for the watch to start keeping time by noticing the second hand moving, or the watch ticking.

No need to shake them, just pull the crown and hand wind it. About 20-40 rotations in a clockwise direction only should do it. You should then see the second handing moving.