Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Hey guys,

I brought my vehicle in from Hawaii about three months ago. I had to get it smog tested per California law. I heard somewhere that specifically for me that i have to get my car smog tested every so often. Does anyone know how often it is for out of state vehicles? Will they also do a visual test? Asking cause I may want to put in an aftermarket downpipe with a high flow cat in the future. Thanks!

Maybe it would also be worth mentioning that my car is not 50 state legal at all. Its 49 state.
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I am not sure the laws on out-of-state vehicles. I know for in-state it is every 2 years starting 2 years from the original retail sale. Realistically, most places just check three things: 1) no CEL 2) all the OBD readiness tests have completed 3) actual smog test with the exhaust.

If you have any issues, there are stations that will "pass" you for $200-300.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
New cars originally purchased in CA & continually registered here are not subject to any smog inspections for the first 5 years. Then it becomes bi-annual depending on year (odd / even years) after that.

May be different for out of state vehicles, meaning it may just be for the first time only when you register it here. The DMV should be able to answer your question.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Ahh, they changed it.

My car is new. Am I still required to get the biennial smog inspection?

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

OP
OP
Tamadrummer88

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ahh, they changed it.
Ah, so basically i pay a smog abatement fee every year?

EDIT: Never mind, LA County requires one yearly. Thank god I'm moving to San Diego in less than a year.

Sponsored

Horde5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
The Warchief
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Looks like you don't have to get it smogged at all for six years. After that they are required to do a visual check so if your headers are visible from the engine bay they'll fail you. Welcome to California where its vitally important for the government to look like they are doing something worthwhile, even though they aren't.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yeah, our state is quickly becoming the proverbial Prius with a vegan and planet fitness sticker.

OP
OP
Tamadrummer88

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I've actually gotten dirty looks from pedestrians and people in Prius' driving around Santa Monica. I've never been so proud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
Ah, so basically i pay a smog abatement fee every year?

EDIT: Never mind, LA County requires one yearly. Thank god I'm moving to San Diego in less than a year.
weird, i didn't get one on my DMV renewal

OP
OP
Tamadrummer88

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
weird, i didn't get one on my DMV renewal
Did you buy your car in California? If so that doesn't apply to you. Im from out of state, so if i live in LA County i have to get one yearly.

Sponsored

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
Did you buy your car in California? If so that doesn't apply to you. Im from out of state, so if i live in LA County i have to get one yearly.
ah yeah, bummer! yearly that sucks!