Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I wish all my S550 brothers and sisters a Merry Christmas. I hope y'all have a safe and fun Christmas with your friends and family. Hopefully, where you live, the weather is nice enough to take the Mustang out for a nice drive.
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
We have a church tradition of asking if anyone wants to share something on the Sunday before Christmas. This year I went in my old USAF dress uniform with all my medals and badges and this is what I shared:

It's good to be home for Christmas. I know that's true because there were many Christmases and holidays when I was far from home. So today I chose to wear the suit with all the decorations in remembrance of those who have to be away from home and loved ones, and to remember some of my own Christmases.

Does everyone remember Bob Hope? He was a comedian who chose to take his act to soldiers in foreign lands. He started doing that in the 40's during World War Two, and he was still doing his act for soldiers in Vietnam more than twenty years later, when my dad saw him. And he was still doing it during the build-up to the first Gulf War. At age 87, he was there for me in Saudi Arabia on December 25, 1990, just trying to bring a little light and joy to the strangers he cared so much about. If anybody deserved a quiet Christmas at home with family, he had earned that, but no, he chose to pack his golf bag and fly to a desert air field halfway around the world rather than leave us sad and lonely. Remember those who choose to make sacrifices for the sake of others.

Most of my holidays away were harder than that one. I remember on Christmas Eve 2003, my flight crew's task that day was to haul a load of ammunition into Bagdad. It was only months after the city was captured, there was still a lot of fighting in the streets, and I hoped that those bullets wouldn't get used, at least for a few days. Couldn't we have peace and quiet at least until the holidays were over?

Peace on Earth. That is what we always wish for this season, what the angels sang about. We know it will come. But we know that day has not come yet, and we pray especially for those who volunteer to go in harm's way in our defense. Jesus, you said there is no greater love than to lay down your life for another, and we hold up to you those who embody that spirit. Hold them, guard them, shield them from harm, until your promised day of peace is here at last.

He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
he breaks the bow, and shatters the spear;
he burns the shields with fire.
“Be still, and know that I am God!
I am exalted among the nations,
I am exalted in the earth.”
The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our refuge.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Great story/experience. Thanks for sharing. No doubt your congregation also appreciated it.

It's normal during this season to focus internally and forget about those who are less fortunate. As an experienced SOF warrior, SFC Goble accepted the risks. However, there is now a 6 year old girl who will forever remember Christmas as the day Dad's body was returned home. Likely still too young to be proud of his sacrifice, only empty. She deserves a Christmas prayer.

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thank you Blue Moon for your service. My father was there in the Army (Civilian by then) - stationed right down the street in Riyadh. Painting tanks from the Vietnam camo to the desert camo. He was there to witness the aftermath of the Patriot missile failure that killed the Marines. That was a rough Christmas for sure. It would seem to me that the country finally does treat y'all well, unlike the Vietnam hippies that were too busy enjoying "free" love than to fight for the "free"-dom.

I decided many a year ago that I wanted to do my part and serve in the reserves, but quickly found out that old, out-of-shape dudes weren't what they were looking for. (Can't say I don't blame them).

I have a buddy who got to see Bob Hope on a carrier also around Desert Storm. He was with fire/rescue. My best friend was a gunner on another carrier. He flew over here once for a vaca and took me on the USS Midway and explained what it was really like.

That was an outstanding bit of info you shared, and thank you for sharing it on here as well. If I could, I'd buy you a beer or coffee, or whatever your beverage of choice is!
God bless and thanks for your service! :flag:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.