MD exhaust laws

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I recently bought a Ford Racing x-pipe, but haven't installed it yet -- I'd also like to do an axleback at some point -- I've read about people getting "fix-it tickets" and have looked at some laws, but can't find all the answers that I'm looking for"

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/transportation/title-22/subtitle-4/22-402

It seems like there has to be a quantity involved -- as in an actual decibel level -- the first part (a): "Noise levels in excess of those adopted by the Administrator under § 22-601 of this title are excessive." refers to § 22-601 -- what does that say? I haven't been able to find it? If there is no baseline decibel level for a particular vehicle, how can anyone suggest that your car is too loud, other than to have blanket cannot-exceed sound levels? I've seen MD dealers offer new cars for sale with Ford Racing catbacks on them -- if it's illegal to have those on our cars, it's illegal for dealers to sell them that way... Does anyone have experience with any of this? I want more sound and less weight, and need to stay on the right side of the law too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Ahh -- here we go:
§ 22-609. Modification of exhaust system.
(a) Modification that increases sound prohibited.- A person may not modify the exhaust system or
any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this
State in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as
originally manufactured.
(b) Operation of improperly modified vehicle prohibited.- A person may not drive on any highway
in this State a motor vehicle with an exhaust system or noise abatement device modified in a way
prohibited by subsection (a) of this section.
§ 22-610. Sale of mufflers and other abatement devices.
(a) Sale of nonconforming devices prohibited.- A person may not sell or offer for sale in this State
for use as part of the equipment of a motor vehicle any exhaust muffler, intake muffler, or other
noise abatement device that, when installed, will permit the vehicle to be operated in such a way
that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally
manufactured.
(b) Certificate of compliance.-
(1) The manufacturer of each exhaust muffler, intake muffler, or other noise abatement device sold
in this State for use as part of the equipment of a motor vehicle shall file with the Administration a
written certification that the particular device, when installed for its intended application, complies
with the requirements of this section.
(2) The certification shall be on the form that the Administration requires.

Looks like I may have a problem. I may be selling my x-pipe.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I've had modified exhaust on every car I've ever owned in MD. I've never once been questioned about it and I've been pulled over a lot.

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Good to know -- I had a modified Bug in my early twenties -- SUPER loud -- you could literally hear it for a mile or more -- but I had less to lose then -- and this was back in the mid 90's, well before the vague-a$$ laws drawn up in 2010... I'll likely do what I want -- I was figuring that if my x-pipe was too loud anyway, I would go for full-on weight savings and go with a loudmouth muffler delete -- but honestly, I just want a little deeper tone, better scavenging, save some weight, and have some nicer looking tips to fill out the rear valence some -- I don't want to draw the wrong kind of attention.

Sponsored

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The last "fun" car I had before the Mustang was a 2007 Corvette, with a pretty loud exhaust. That car attracted a LOT of attention and the exhaust was never mentioned. I have the Steeda axle back on my Mustang and the windows are tinted a bit darker than 35%. No issues so far.

I've had Harleys for 20+ years, all with loud pipes. Been stopped a few times and it's never been mentioned.

I think a lot has to do with how you behave. I don't blip and try to be respectful. It irritates me as much as anybody when people go out of their way just to make noise.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Wouldn't worry about it in MD. I've had lots of modified cars in my past and the only trouble cops ever gave me was for tinted windows. As many loud a$$ diesel trucks running around in MD as there are, you would be the last one they would worry about give a ticket to.

OP
OP
mikeyjobu

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Ahh -- here we go:
§ 22-609. Modification of exhaust system.
(a) Modification that increases sound prohibited.- A person may not modify the exhaust system or
any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this
State in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as
originally manufactured.
(b) Operation of improperly modified vehicle prohibited.- A person may not drive on any highway
in this State a motor vehicle with an exhaust system or noise abatement device modified in a way
prohibited by subsection (a) of this section.
§ 22-610. Sale of mufflers and other abatement devices.
(a) Sale of nonconforming devices prohibited.- A person may not sell or offer for sale in this State
for use as part of the equipment of a motor vehicle any exhaust muffler, intake muffler, or other
noise abatement device that, when installed, will permit the vehicle to be operated in such a way
that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally
manufactured.
(b) Certificate of compliance.-
(1) The manufacturer of each exhaust muffler, intake muffler, or other noise abatement device sold
in this State for use as part of the equipment of a motor vehicle shall file with the Administration a
written certification that the particular device, when installed for its intended application, complies
with the requirements of this section.
(2) The certification shall be on the form that the Administration requires.

Looks like I may have a problem. I may be selling my x-pipe.
Thanks guys -- I'll probably take my chances -- this is a huge government overreach anyway. And without quantifiable numbers: baseline decibel numbers, and measured "after" decibel numbers, this law seems totally unenforceable.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Mike never had an issue w/ that over 20 years. Only issue was with my tint.
Sponsored