Sponsored

MAPerformance CAI on 2018+ Ecoboost? Hits the horns?

bigbadspoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
I poked around a little bit, but had a hard time finding a solid answer on this:
I saw a few posts on MAP's website saying the MAPerformance intake interferes with the horns on 2018+ models and is difficult and/or impossible to install without removing the horns, but none had pics. Looking at the area compared to older cars, the horns definitely take up more space.

Has anyone on here tried to install this intake on their 2018? Have any pics of the area or what had to be done to fit it? If not, is there another 3" fender-mount intake that fits 2018s without modification?
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
There are a lot of other options if I were you I would look elsewhere. Air raid seems to be popular

OP
OP

bigbadspoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
The Airraid isn't a fender mount. In looking around, I'm not seeing a whole lot of options there for the 2018s .

I guess if nothing else pans out, it'll be Airraid or Roush, but I love the sound of the fender mount intakes.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I'm just curious, other than the cone filter element, what real advantage would a CAI intake have on a stock 2018 intake? The factory intake draws cold air directly from the front of the car. There is even a special opening in the grill on the driver's side to allow air to flow more easily to the intake.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just curious, other than the cone filter element, what real advantage would a CAI intake have on a stock 2018 intake? The factory intake draws cold air directly from the front of the car. There is even a special opening in the grill on the driver's side to allow air to flow more easily to the intake.
This.

All the research I've done led me to conclude that the factory air box is more than good enough. Some of the highest HP EB our there use the stock airbox with a drop-in high flow filter and AirRaid intake tube. I did see a forum post that showed a very slight improvement from opening up the grill in front of the intake.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did see a forum post that showed a very slight improvement from opening up the grill in front of the intake.
I believe this pertained to the 15-17s. My 18 already has an opening in the grill for the intake. I assume your 19 is the same.

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I believe this pertained to the 15-17s. My 18 already has an opening in the grill for the intake. I assume your 19 is the same.
Only partially. One of several reasons I replaced.

EA8C5CC1-45E2-4219-9804-B2AE075F2C05.jpeg

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, we were talking about openings in the grille... so I meant that I replaced the grille.
I thought so, but the OP was asking about CAI, so I just wanted to be sure.
Sponsored