Status
Not open for further replies.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I drive a commercial vehicle, so I drive alot. Trying to understand why alot of people do this, if you do this please help me understand. This is for interstate driving.
1. It's raining cats and dogs: day or night and you put on your flashers
2. It's raining at night you put on your brights and flashers
3. It's raining cats and dogs you put on your flashers then drive beside someone doing the same at 25-30 mph tapping your brakes if you see a puddle or shadow. ( You know with flashers on no one knows when you are braking) blocking both lanes.
Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
1. For the increased visibility if it's a REEALLY bad downpour so you don't get rear-ended.
2. No excuse for high-beams.
3. Dumb.

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
After having done the same 100 mile a day commute for 20 years, I have given up on figuring out why people do anything. There is a commuter that puts his/her hazards on every day no matter the weather, congestion, lighting etc.
Each morning I find that the farthest right lane is usually the fastest because everyone who enters the freeway immediately moves as far left as possible and then chooses a random speed unrelated to surrounding / following traffic.
Not many people turning lights on during heavy rain.
A few people running at night with DRLs only and have no clue that they have no tail lights on at all.
Many who feel that driving the vehicle is the secondary activity while commuting. Phones, food, makeup all take priority.

I have adopted the mind-set that all of these fellow commuters are either really old or mentally challenged. This has helped me to cope with the aggravation as I now think of them as distant relatives who have handicaps which need to be accounted for. No vigilante justice from me, just resigned acceptance.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
After having done the same 100 mile a day commute for 20 years, I have given up on figuring out why people do anything. There is a commuter that puts his/her hazards on every day no matter the weather, congestion, lighting etc.
Each morning I find that the farthest right lane is usually the fastest because everyone who enters the freeway immediately moves as far left as possible and then chooses a random speed unrelated to surrounding / following traffic.
Not many people turning lights on during heavy rain.
A few people running at night with DRLs only and have no clue that they have no tail lights on at all.
Many who feel that driving the vehicle is the secondary activity while commuting. Phones, food, makeup all take priority.

I have adopted the mind-set that all of these fellow commuters are either really old or mentally challenged. This has helped me to cope with the aggravation as I now think of them as distant relatives who have handicaps which need to be accounted for. No vigilante justice from me, just resigned acceptance.
...proving that most states will give out a license with anyone with a pulse.

Here in town I see a LOT of people driving with no lights at all (also in the rain) because ambient light from the street lights are enough to see. They have no idea they don't have their lights on (and flashing them does nothing), and they have no idea they're invisible.

I also see exactly what you're describing on the freeway - people enter roadway (refuse to adjust their speed to match everyone else before entering) and immediately push left. Here in WA the state law reserves the left lane as a PASSING lane. In other words slower cars stay right. There's even signs all over the place telling drivers exactly that. You're not supposed to be in it at all unless you're passing (assuming certain conditions of course). But HOV lane popularity has essentially confused the hell out of that too since it's now placed left of the passing lane usually. So now people think the HOV lane is the passing lane (if at all). Now you get to sit behind people going slower than the speed limit in the left lane and refuse to move - even if you signal them. And single occupant vehicles use the HOV lane to pass, which is illegal.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I like your thinking ... I'm trying to get there too but not quite yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. For the increased visibility if it's a REEALLY bad downpour so you don't get rear-ended.
2. No excuse for high-beams.
3. Dumb.
Not trying to say who right , who's wrong, but when it is down pouring rain hard, day or night, and you have 4 or 5 cars in front of you with flashers on..... Then the constantant speed variations. It really screws up your night vision, reflections everywhere from led rear lights etc....

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I turn on my flashers in a downpour if it gets so bad I can barely see the vehicle in front of me. I figure if my visibility is that bad that I should give the car behind me an opportunity to not rear end me. I would just pull over but that seems even less safe. I also do it if I come upon stopped traffic until I get a couple cars behind me to absorb the impact of the first idiot not paying attention.

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can not remember seeing a rear in collision on the interstste from heavy rain, plenty in the ditch from hydroplaning.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I drive a commercial vehicle, so I drive alot. Trying to understand why alot of people do this, if you do this please help me understand. This is for interstate driving.
1. It's raining cats and dogs: day or night and you put on your flashers
2. It's raining at night you put on your brights and flashers
3. It's raining cats and dogs you put on your flashers then drive beside someone doing the same at 25-30 mph tapping your brakes if you see a puddle or shadow. ( You know with flashers on no one knows when you are braking) blocking both lanes.

There's no rhyme or reason, that's just how people are

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Basic defensive driving thought process: always assume the other drivers are about to do the dumbest, most dangerous thing possible. (Or impossible; people can be amazingly creative when they're being dumb.)

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Putting hazards on during rain is illegal in Florida. They’re only meant for emergencies - not people who are uncomfortable with the daily rain storm.

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it is illegal in a lot of states, didn't won't to post that because people may live in a state it isn't.
Kinda goes with the laws on acceleration lanes that people think they have a right to merge at their speed.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
...It's raining cats and dogs: day or night and you put on your flashers......
Never seen this in my life....maybe the morons on the road down here have yet to plumb that depth of stupidity.

Putting your Mustang in neutral at 60mph when you enter an off ramp, using only brakes and not downshifting to save the wear and tear on your transmission....even more stoopid.

Last edited:

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Basic defensive driving thought process: always assume the other drivers are about to do the dumbest, most dangerous thing possible. (Or impossible; people can be amazingly creative when they're being dumb.)
this is what i do. a lot of the time they do end up doing something stupid and thankfully im the one whos been paying attention. people are straight oblivious either that or they think they are the only ones on the road.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Putting your Mustang in neutral at 60mph when you enter an off ramp, using only brakes and not downshifting to save the wear and tear on your transmission....even more stoopid.
I don't much care about victimless stupid :wink:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.