Sponsored

Mach 1 Globally available - Possibly:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Yeah I'm getting a bit fed up with Ford UK, total lack of information. They just want to concentrate on boring boxes like the Puma and Kuga.

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'm getting a bit fed up with Ford UK, total lack of information. They just want to concentrate on boring boxes like the Puma and Kuga.
They will act dumb on the mach 1 until next year.I doubt if they would even take an early deposit.Same thing with the Bullitt,deny its coming over,then the big announcement and "sorry our allocations are all gone"

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Aus are getting 700 allocations, how many are we likely to get :frown:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which sell in huge numbers .... Why not concentrate on big selling models ?
That's fine if Ford want to follow the model of Dacia etc, with no aspirational vehicles or have zero enthusiasm/customer care for their high performance cars. It does look like Ford is going down this route, especially with the demise of the RS.
Why anyone would want to buy the new Puma I have no idea, save money and buy a Focus.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
That's fine if Ford want to follow the model of Dacia etc, with no aspirational vehicles or have zero enthusiasm/customer care for their high performance cars. It does look like Ford is going down this route, especially with the demise of the RS.
Why anyone would want to buy the new Puma I have no idea, save money and buy a Focus.
RS is not coming purely because of emissions targets (and the ST is so good!)

Puma is second best selling Ford so clearly a lot of people disagree with you. New Puma ST confirms that Ford are interested in the performance end of the market still.

Niche high performance cars have zero profit in them for Ford at the moment. For every Mustang sold they need to sell 30 or 40 cooking cars to get the average CO2 down low enough for the range. No wonder they are not keen on selling too many.

If Mach 1 will be $53k then that would be £80k in the UK to make it worth it for Ford.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-ford-puma-st-lands-197bhp

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RS is not coming purely because of emissions targets (and the ST is so good!)

Puma is second best selling Ford so clearly a lot of people disagree with you. New Puma ST confirms that Ford are interested in the performance end of the market still.

Niche high performance cars have zero profit in them for Ford at the moment. For every Mustang sold they need to sell 30 or 40 cooking cars to get the average CO2 down low enough for the range. No wonder they are not keen on selling too many.

If Mach 1 will be $53k then that would be £80k in the UK to make it worth it for Ford.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-ford-puma-st-lands-197bhp
I had an ST many moons ago on a 2010 plate (secound gen and from memory it was less than £20k new), so I'm not anti ST. But this is not a halo performance car, it comes in a diesel verison for a start! I'm not sure Porsche would release a 911 diesel. And a 0-60 sprint of about 6 seconds for a £30k car, again not halo performance.

Yes, there are a lot of people around naive enough to belive the marketing hype for the Puma for what is essentially a Fiesta with a 3 pot engine. Save money and buy a Fiesta or Focus.

And don't get me started on the styling of the Kuga, Focus and Puma, they all look the same, like a rotund beetle.

I'm all for reducing CO2 emissions but you still need some halo perfomance vechicles to enhance the brand. Yes the halo vechicles are not profitable for the company on their own but help the company as a whole.

Are these the same emission targets that the EU allow Ferrari, Lambo etc to exceed? Yes they are produced in low quantities but so was the Focus RS and GT350.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I had an ST many moons ago on a 2010 plate (secound gen and from memory it was less than £20k new), so I'm not anti ST. But this is not a halo performance car, it comes in a diesel verison for a start! I'm not sure Porsche would release a 911 diesel. And a 0-60 sprint of about 6 seconds for a £30k car, again not halo performance.

Yes, there are a lot of people around naive enough to belive the marketing hype for the Puma for what is essentially a Fiesta with a 3 pot engine. Save money and buy a Fiesta or Focus.

And don't get me started on the styling of the Kuga, Focus and Puma, they all look the same, like a rotund beetle.

I'm all for reducing CO2 emissions but you still need some halo perfomance vechicles to enhance the brand. Yes the halo vechicles are not profitable for the company on their own but help the company as a whole.

Are these the same emission targets that the EU allow Ferrari, Lambo etc to exceed? Yes they are produced in low quantities but so was the Focus RS and GT350.
Ferrari are part of FCA, Lambo part of VAG so plenty of cars to offset against.

Styling a personal thing but lots of people are buying them so you are probably on your own a bit there.

Puma has 200PS 3 pot which is a cracking engine. Fiesta ST is similar, there is no Focus to buy other than the ST that is anywhere near the Puma now Ford have dropped the 1.5 in it.

Don't tell Audi that a diesel doesn't count, the new RS6 is a diesel !

New C63 AMG will be a 4 cylinder hybrid !

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Styling a personal thing but lots of people are buying them so you are probably on your own a bit there.
Lots of people of a certain demographic maybe. We'll see if the sales of the Puma continue once the hyperbole drains away. That the Merc A class is nearly as popular as the Focus should give Ford food for thought.

I understand that Ford's business model is stack em high sell em cheap but they need to put more effort into their dwindling halo/performance cars to market the company. Even the Ford Ranger Raptor they've stuck some tin pot diesel into it.
I have no problem with hybrid in performance cars, but diesels is not only backwards in technology but also appeal.

Ive always been a Ford fan (albeit im only in my mid thirties), as great value performance cars but they seem to be making expensive rubbish at the moment.
Luckily the only exception is the Mustang, although even on this they are falling behind the competition in the UK with the lack of the GT350, 500 and maybe Mach 1.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Lots of people of a certain demographic maybe. We'll see if the sales of the Puma continue once the hyperbole drains away. That the Merc A class is nearly as popular as the Focus should give Ford food for thought.

I understand that Ford's business model is stack em high sell em cheap but they need to put more effort into their dwindling halo/performance cars to market the company. Even the Ford Ranger Raptor they've stuck some tin pot diesel into it.
Merc is a good example - very much competing with the Focus, doesn't drive as well, clunky engines and gearboxes but loads of bling and tech. What do people want ?? Bling and Tech ! Most people don't care about driving dynamics as long as the car starts every morning and interacts with their tech. Halo cars ??? For many a halo car has loads of tech / safety stuff, thirsty performance cars are not cool.

I'm not saying this is what I want, but it is where the car market is going because the MAJORITY want that sort of thing. Puma is EXACTLY what a lot of people want - small SUV. Ford dealers have been desperate to get hold of them and can sell them as fast as they can make them. Value added model for Ford too so no selling cheap there I can assure you.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Around $53000
That will be £53000 then
If a UK Mach 1 is only £53k I would be very surprised. Add in the fact that Europe spec Mach 1's will probably have some sort of pack by default I imagine more and if they do in fact limit numbers, discounts and PCP 0% deals wont be on offer which will make anything other than a cash purchase a very very expensive Mustang.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc is a good example - very much competing with the Focus, doesn't drive as well, clunky engines and gearboxes but loads of bling and tech. What do people want ?? Bling and Tech ! Most people don't care about driving dynamics as long as the car starts every morning and interacts with their tech. Halo cars ??? For many a halo car has loads of tech / safety stuff, thirsty performance cars are not cool.
The reason why Mercedes sticks faux AMG line and BMW M Sports on everything is because people aspire to the actual AMG and M performance models. Some people are easy to manipulate but only if you have the right aspirational models. If Ford doesn't invest or show enthusiasm for its performance products then they are finished in the UK and Europe.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If a UK Mach 1 is only £53k I would be very surprised. Add in the fact that Europe spec Mach 1's will probably have some sort of pack by default I imagine more and if they do in fact limit numbers, discounts and PCP 0% deals wont be on offer which will make anything other than a cash purchase a very very expensive Mustang.
I'm expecting it to be circa £60k. Mustangs are different, just like you pay more for a GT500 than a Eco, so can't just say £60k is an expensive Mustang. Lets see what we get for the money.
Sponsored