Sponsored

Long trip protection

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
That stuff looks interesting, I may get some too.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Follow cars at farther distance.
For rock chips on the front facing surfaces of the car that works well. The rocks don't just float in the air. If you hit one, it was thrown up by another vehicle and would be back on the road in seconds at most. I drove from Phoenix to Wyoming on a Saturday and back to Phoenix on Monday, 2,000+ miles and didn't get a single paint chip anywhere, but I took roads with very little traffic and didn't follow close behind anything.

Several posts about using painters tape. That works for rocks and bugs.

3M makes a clear spray for paint protection that peels off. They sell it as a cheap alternative to clear bras and says it will last up to a year but I think it sells for $2x so cheap enough to use just for a trip.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
LeBra has a front end vinyl bra for about $70. Make sure that you wash the car well before installing the bra. Give the front end that will be under the bra two or more extra coats of a good wax to help prevent road grit from doing too much damage under the bra. I have a Toyota that has had a LeBra on it for 8 years and the best paint surface is that under the bra. I do take off the bra, carefully wash and wax before reinstalling.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Get a bra, it works. take it off when you don't need it. Tape comes off at speed in the rain, and spending $700 on some clear film that clouds up eventually? the Bra is $160, and you could sell it if you don't like it.
travelling.jpg

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Get a bra, it works. take it off when you don't need it. Tape comes off at speed in the rain, and spending $700 on some clear film that clouds up eventually? the Bra is $160, and you could sell it if you don't like it.
I agree.
I have xpel and for some clear tape its stupid for what it cost. I installed mine myself, it's not hard just take your time. The problem is I've seen some guys that have clear bra and it has stone chips and one guy had a good sized dent in the leading edge of his hood. The clear bra will help with minor stone chips but that's about it. What I don't like is the wax buildup. I have OCD in a bad way and it's not a big problem but I don't like wax on the leading edge of the xpel. I'd rather have a lebra that I can put on before a drive and remove it once I get there. (Car shows) plus it protects better, and keep stones and bugs from getting in the grille.

Sponsored

JonW

Too many cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hurst Challenger
I put PPF on my 2006 Charger and 7 years later when I sold it, you still couldn't see it. No clouding at all. You need to use a quality brand and it does require some upkeep just as your paint does. It definitely works. I hit a bird, and it scuffed the hell out of the PPF, but no damage to the car. But, it is expensive.

Check this out: http://www.autotrimdesign.net/Road_Wrap_Disposable_Paint_Protection_Film.asp

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Colgan from AutoAnything. Best price around. And be sure to get the mirror covers too.
Sponsored