Living in Socal with LT's

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Im wanting to do some LTs on my 16 GT. Those of you that have them, have you ever really been hassled because of them? Do you swap them every 2 years for smog?
Sponsored

KRS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Im wanting to do some LTs on my 16 GT. Those of you that have them, have you ever really been hassled because of them? Do you swap them every 2 years for smog?
As long as you dont drive like an idiot or have a rice out mustang you should be fine. I have longtubes, no cats, magnaflow resonated x pipe and essentially SR Performance's muffler delete with a vortech supercharger and I never get harassed. The car is def not quite and its on drag radials and cops usually give me a thumbs up tbh. I do mainly just cruise around though and try my best to drive like a normal person lol. Ive had a few even come by and take pics/talk cars with me when they are somewhere I pull up or if Im already just hanging out.

Smog will be an issue though for the most. Need to be ready to swap them out or have your own way to take care of it.

I do drive right through the heart of LA twice a day as my commute is about 45 mins each way everyday.

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Cool, thanks for the response.

I don't drive like an idiot and try to be as respectful as I can. Im Really on the fence with this...

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Taking off headers and putting back on stock manifolds to go get smogged only to take them back off and put headers back on sounds like less fun than a root canal.

It would be better to keep them on and go see the "dude" - I will not admit to the existence of this dude but there is such a creature in an undisclosed location.

Best bet is to keep the stock manifolds on - as stated from a guy who never felt the money I spent on headers was worth it.

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Taking off headers and putting back on stock manifolds to go get smogged only to take them back off and put headers back on sounds like less fun than a root canal.

It would be better to keep them on and go see the "dude" - I will not admit to the existence of this dude but there is such a creature in an undisclosed location.

Best bet is to keep the stock manifolds on - as stated from a guy who never felt the money I spent on headers was worth it.
Yeah I agree. I don’t want to mess around with taking them on and off. I’ve heard of the “Dudes” you speak of, however they are becoming as rare as a unicorn. At this point I think I’m pretty well decided, I think I’ll be skipping this. Thanks for the reply though.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

The only way this works now is they hook up another Mustang that is stock. If there is any software other than stock it won't pass, even if that software keeps the emissions systems in place. The good news is if you are the original owner you don't have to smog now for the first 8 years. If you sell the car to someone the car will need to be smogged. To be frank it seems that LTs are worth about 15rwhp on a otherwise stock 5.0, doesn't seem worth the hassle. A set of MAK deletes would probably be a better bet and easier to smog when the time comes. The MAK deletes don't give up much to LTs, although the torque curve definitely seems fatter with the LTs than the MAKs.
Sponsored