• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
So I've had my new GT for about 6 weeks now and I'm loving it. Thinking about getting tint done as the vehicle I've been driving for a long time doesn't have any tint at all (not even factory tint). My main goal with getting tint done is heat rejection and UV protection and not for looks. That being said I would go with ceramic tint as I hear it's better at both heat rejection and UV protection. I only plan to do all the windows and not the windshield and the biggest issue for me is being able to see clearly at night as my vision especially at night isn't getting any better:).

So curious if anyone here has had their Mustang side windows and or back window tinted 50% or so? If so how is the heat rejection? From reading online it sounds like I would be a decent benefit in the heat rejection department at the 50% level while hopefully being able to see safely at night. I know this is all subjective and it depends on one's eyesight, etc but I figured I would ask and see what everyone thinks.

Also I believe the windows on the 24 Mustang already have some sort of factory tint on them. I just have a base GT w/301A PKG and all my side windows and the rear window so something about transparency at least 70% so it could be higher and I guess no way to tell without one of those guns to measure it. Also if I do get 50% done all around and that's in addition to the 70% (maybe higher) level of factory tint than my overall tint would be less than 50% correct?

Any and all feedback would be beneficial and please post some pics if you can.
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Apex Ultra ceramic tint
  • 50% windshield
  • 35% driver and passenger windows
  • 5% rear quarters and rear windshield
I have ZERO issues seeing through any of this, and the 35% blocks more UV and heat than the 50%. At night, the rear/back window is dark, but I never look through it. I see headlights and other traffic just fine if I do -- meaning, it's not like it's completely blacked out at night due to ambient and other light.

For the front windshield, you can go with a 70% and experience a specific reduction in UV and heat while being nearly clear.

Apex Ultra – Geoshield Window Films (geoshieldusa.com)

S650 Mustang Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around? 1716303572061-mz

S650 Mustang Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around? IMG_8038
S650 Mustang Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around? IMG_8048
S650 Mustang Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around? IMG_8045
S650 Mustang Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around? IMG_8042
S650 Mustang Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around? IMG_8053

WhiteMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Can't speak to the side and back glass since I have 20% there but I got 80% ceramic on the front for the heat/uv benefits and it looks perfectly clear to my eyes.

GhastlyTT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse and 2023 Mach-E GT
Heat rejection has more to do with the material than the percentage of visible light transmission. Ceramic tint is the go to for blocking UV and IR. Go as light or as dark as you want but make sure it's ceramic based film. I went 15% all around.
S650 Mustang Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around? Dark

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Heat rejection has more to do with the material than the percentage of visible light transmission. Ceramic tint is the go to for blocking UV and IR. Go as light or as dark as you want but make sure it's ceramic based film. I went 15% all around.
Dark.jpg
Wow that look great with the Oxford white paint. For my poor old eyes I would have to drive with the windows down and my head out like a dog in order to see anything at night,lol.

DaddyTigggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Conv.
Awesome information, thank you. The closest installer to me is about an hour away. How long did it take to get the tint installed? And what did it cost?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow that look great with the Oxford white paint. For my poor old eyes I would have to drive with the windows down and my head out like a dog in order to see anything at night,lol.
When I see a MSP trooper on the side of the road, I always roll my driver's side window down when I pass by ... :cwl: They are really the only LEOs in MI who care about tint. Most local LEOs don't.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome information, thank you. The closest installer to me is about an hour away. How long did it take to get the tint installed? And what did it cost?
You might want to look @ users "Locations" (under their name/avatar on the left), as most are far from NJ ... :)

Geoshield Apex Ultra Ceramic on all four sides - installed when the car was ceramic coated, so I don't recall how long the tint took. I would just plan on half to one full day of drop it off/pick it up, depending upon which windows you're getting tinted. I'm having the detailer re-do the rear window again - there was some dust under the film he pointed out when I picked it up, but he didn't want to get the car wet re-doing it then then since he just ceramic coated it. That re-do is going to take 2.5 hours (remove and install, not just install).

It cost me $550 in Michigan dollars for the tint, but that was discounted because I had $2K worth of services done. And although that might sound high to some, keep in mind that is 2 ply / 2 mil ceramic tint with a lifetime warranty (material), most durable, color stable/best looking (no blue or purple hues), high optical clarity, 99% UV rejection, and 95%+ IR rejection.

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium Convertible
I went with Expel film, 15% on the back glass and 35% on the side glass. Love the look and the protection for me and the interior. No problems with vision either day or night and not quite dark enough to get LEOs attention.
It took the shop about 3 hours and was about $325.00.

S650 Mustang Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around? IMG_6098

S650 Mustang Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around? IMG_6099

S650 Mustang Let's talk tint - Anyone go light on tint maybe 50% all around? IMG_6101

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great, @TripleshotMcC. Did they do the windshield, too?
Nope, just the back and side glass. The cumulative effect makes it look like the windshield got tinted too. I have never done the side glass in my other Mustangs, and I'm really glad I did this time. I like the look!

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I did Xpel Prime XR Plus

55 - windshield
15 - Driver/Passenger
5 - pods and back glass

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
I went with Expel film, 15% on the back glass and 35% on the side glass. Love the look and the protection for me and the interior. No problems with vision either day or night and not quite dark enough to get LEOs attention.
It took the shop about 3 hours and was about $325.00.

IMG_6099.jpeg
Any issues tinting the rear plexiglass windshield? How about seeing out the side windows at night, any issues with the 35% tint?

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any issues tinting the rear plexiglass windshield? How about seeing out the side windows at night, any issues with the 35% tint?
The rear is glass, no issues at all