is 400hp on the V8 realistic with...

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
All these people looking at catback exhausts make me laugh...and the axleback ones are just plain hilarious. The cats are practically a part of the exhaust manifold, so why not do full exhaust?! Now if you admit it's purely for sound that's one thing, expecting to gain hp from it?! Insane. Especially because modern cat's give almost no restriction to the exhaust.
Why does it make you laugh? Your post makes me laugh. See how stupid that sounds??

Have you even seen the suitcase after the headers that is in the middle of the exhaust system? Guess you haven't. So far all of these manufacturers have all lied about their numbers for the '15GT. I find that very odd. They all have representatives posting on these boards and will tell a blatant lie and continue to comment on the posts? I don't think they would.
Sponsored

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
Give me a stock one and a dyno, I can make it read 400hp for you. Or 200. Or 700 even.

Forget dyno numbers. They aren't realistic and all depend on calculations that many dyno operators manipulate. Only good for doing same car before and after mods for hp gain. Mph in the 1/4 is a better indicator.

Not trying to incite a riot here but......^this. Everyone gets hung up on DYNO numbers. However, I've had my 2012 GT/CS put down 486 LIGHT mods, then I realized the operator was making the pulls in 4th gear, once done correctly it was much lower. Unless ALL mustangs do their pulls on either a mustang dyno or a dyno jet, the same car will show drastically different numbers in the same atmospheric conditions, same engine temps. Not to mention, people don't always show SAE corrected numbers. Dynos are tuning tools, not accurate representations of actual power. You wanna see how well your mods are working? Look at ETs and trap speed before and after your mods at your local track.
I belong to another mustang site that focuses on modding, and here are the true real world hard facts. Dispute them as you wish, and feel free to look it up:

Throttle body other than on CJ manifold or forced induction won't yield hardly any power. Or at least not enough to justify the $500 price tag

The coyotes have respectable stock manifolds/headers, and you might not see much in terms of hp on a dyno with long tubes as you normally would especially NA. Not saying you won't make gains, just saying stock comes with what has been considered mid length headers.

AirRaid makes a larger diameter intake tube that attaches to the stock airbox. This is the only place the stock intake needs to be improved upon. And this is coming from a Steeda CAI owner. Even the steeda intake uses the same duct the stock airbox uses (which pulls air into the intake box from behind the grille).

Drop in air filters like K&N has been proven to restrict HP.

intakes with no tune required are a waste and are for sound and looks. CAI can give some gains when paired with a good tune.

Real world gains with cat deletes have been seen from 10-20 wheel hp, I personally gained 22 wheel hp when paired with my borla s type catback, so yank that suitcase and HOLD ON!:amen:

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP

Trevon

97 Hummer, 15 GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Recaro
Why does it make you laugh? Your post makes me laugh. See how stupid that sounds??

Have you even seen the suitcase after the headers that is in the middle of the exhaust system? Guess you haven't. So far all of these manufacturers have all lied about their numbers for the '15GT. I find that very odd. They all have representatives posting on these boards and will tell a blatant lie and continue to comment on the posts? I don't think they would.
Laugh all ya want. This forum goes from "everyone being excited about their car" to more "holier-than-thou" faster than I could...shake a stick.

The 2015 Mustang is an awesome car, it is. It is just not a god car that everyone is making it out to be. Intake and exhaust just don't do what people think they do. This isn't 2000. It's not the fast and the furious. A tune will carry you further than anything.

And I'm not gonna listen to any manufacturer. Of course they're gonna massage the numbers...

Sponsored

mlor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 135i
Everyone gets hung up on DYNO numbers.
Isn't it fine to be hung up on dyno numbers as long as you are only using them to compare to your own baseline and modified numbers? The minute you start to compare across dyno models and wildly different atmospheric conditions with other people is when I would think the comparisons start to become silly.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Laugh all ya want. This forum goes from "everyone being excited about their car" to more "holier-than-thou" faster than I could...shake a stick.

The 2015 Mustang is an awesome car, it is. It is just not a god car that everyone is making it out to be. Intake and exhaust just don't do what people think they do. This isn't 2000. It's not the fast and the furious. A tune will carry you further than anything.

And I'm not gonna listen to any manufacturer. Of course they're gonna massage the numbers...
Huh? Sorry, I am 44 years old. I don't get into the Fast and Furious mindset. I have been around the block a few times modding Cobras and other Mustangs.

Of course they are going to massage the numbers, of course:headbonk:

Yeah, everyone acts the way you described....:frusty:

Darrinm03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT/CS
Isn't it fine to be hung up on dyno numbers as long as you are only using them to compare to your own baseline and modified numbers? The minute you start to compare across dyno models and wildly different atmospheric conditions with other people is when I would think the comparisons start to become silly.
yes, if you were to use a dyno just for the numbers then that would be best. even if you use it in that fashion you would still need to only do your "after mod" pulls in similar atmospheric conditions every time, otherwise you'd get under/overwhelming results. Track can do the same though, humidity, track prep, all that stuff. Honestly, unless you dyno first, install the part at that shop then immediately dyno afterwards. Not everyone understands/accepts the inconsistencies of dyno numbers.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Intake and exhaust just don't do what people think they do. This isn't 2000. It's not the fast and the furious. A tune will carry you further than anything.

Up until recently I would have agreed with you, but I'm beginning to believe there is something to the cat-back on the '15. I think that huge suitcase is restricting flow, whether it's for noise compliance (a world car thing), or Ford semi-intentionally corking the power so they can magically up the HP numbers next year, with a freer flowing exhaust and new tune, just in time for the new Camaro. Might be a little bit of both.

I want to see some numbers from an unbiased source before I believe the substantial ~30HP claims we're seeing from vendors, but I have a feeling there is indeed some power there to be had from a cat-back, unlike with the previous Coyotes.

Think about the changes they made to the motor, with bigger cams (more cam than the Boss has), better flowing heads, etc. You really think all of that only yielded the measly 15HP increase we got? They are limiting the power somehow. Sure, some of it is probably in the tune, but I think not all of it is... exhaust is the next potential culprit on my list.

We'll get the truth soon enough.

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
^Yeah, pretty sure ford held some back for the 2015 gt, and ecoboost. I guessed 475 for the gt, and 350hp for the eco when everybody was guessing the numbers. Funny how a tune and exhaust will probably put the s550 gt around 475...
Maybe they will give the ecobeast the focus rs tune later on, preliminary estimates/rumors are 350hp for the rs.
If this is true, my next question is what sort of power will bolt ons yield if the stock power is turned up to 475hp?

I had my chips on ford coming out swinging with the 2015 s550, the news updates about performance and power really let me down as they trickled in. The 2015 just seems kind of lackluster to me, great potential for sure though.
Sponsored