Sponsored

Interview Dilemma

Take a Mustang or Focus to a job interview?

• Take Mustang to interview

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • Take Focus to interview

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
I took the summer off to enjoy my Mustang, watch sport on TV and work on the house. I wasn't looking for a job but I've landed an interview with a tech company on Wednesday and I'm going to need a suit for the first time in 13 years.

The dilemma is what car to take to the interview so please can I have your considered advice. :)

Does arriving for an interview in a Mustang increase or decrease my chance of landing the job?

1. Take Mustang to interview
2. Take Focus to interview
Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Definitely take the Focus.... upstaging the interviewer won't go down well:D

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Focus I'd say, as otherwise they may have formed an opinion of you before you even sit down and it may not be favourable (Camaro drivers, etc) ;)
The Mustang can be referred to as something you do as a hobby/with your spare time :thumbsup:

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Focus.

Theres a very slim chance of the Mustang doing any 'good', and a much larger chance of it harming you (for all sorts of reasons).

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Once had a guy turn up for interview in his R A N G E R O V E R which he'd modified to say H A N G O V E R :confused: and we have a guy currently who has placed an "R" in front of his Soul (by Kia). Was funny the first time I guess...

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
There's two outcomes to this:

1) Interviewer is impressed, likes cars, or appreciates your "success" (people seem to validfy a 'nice' car as 'successful') therefore they value you highly, equally, they may like the car and that becomes a talking point, I know [MENTION=8211]stevec[/MENTION] has a few stories about his - he runs his own business with his 2 brothers.
2) Interview feels 'out done' and 'upstaged' then feels you're some c0cky git, and wants to slap you down.
Option 2 is famously conned when 'Trainee traders' go to stock brokers wearing a flash watch or suit, in which managers generally tend to 'hate' because of the whole 'work your way up' to get certain things.

It may depend on the person etc, and what kind of person you are. Personally I'd always take my Mustang to an interview, as regardless, it'd come up in conversation.

Chances are the interviewer wont even see your car until you're gone; usually walk in to a secretary who will work you through, may ask how your day sbeen and if you drove in and then will walk you out, also depends where the car park is.

If your Mustang looked like a drug dealers car (it doesn't), or your focus looked like a ricer, then go with whatever looks more 'Formal' I don't know what the focus looks like, could have a bodykit and slammed for all I know lol ;)!

Stuart0202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'd totally take the Mustang, might be a good talking point if they see you pulling up in it.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
In a modded GT seeing it is not the issue ;)
See, hear, etc, as long as it doesn't sound like a rice wagon, or look like a chav pot, which I assume the focus doesn't, and the Mustang don't, then you'll be fine, it's not like you're turning up in a Bugatti... That'd be a b1tch slap and a 'why are you here' :lol:

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
take the focus.

don't want to have risk of upstaging or creating a negative impression i.e. 'he has too much money' etc etc.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
take the mustang if they ask about it just tell it like it is, a cheap ass car thats fun. you couldn't get the equiv in a bm/audi/merc/other german crap for that little money without buying something 5 years old and you wanted the reliability of a new car.

no interviewer should ever judge you on the car you drive and purely on your ability to do the job you're interviewing for.

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
In the distant past I've arrived at interviews in some seriously prestige cars hoping they will see them and realise I come with executive remuneration expectations only to find that the company car park isn't even within sight of the office where the interview is. It was probably a good thing as HR managers do have influence and as someone else here said, nobody likes being upstaged. Go with the humble Focus and surprise them later with the beast.

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
Take the Focus, if you have to park in some workplace car park one less thing to worry about.
Also you need to send out the message of sensible stability :) You need to fool them at first.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Umm... since when does the interviewer actually see your car?

Scratch that, I had an interviewer mention a previous car I had. He says he was watching for me to pull up and saw me get out of the car (which was a Chevy Volt). That creeped me out. He spent 10 min. talking about electric cars and how he wants a Tesla but would never buy a Chevy product, etc. When he finally got to the interview questions, which were the standard "tell me about a time crap", I had my first post-interview question in mind: "Do you usually work from home or would I be seeing you around here much?" He didn't take that question well... :)

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
Sideways into the car park with the Mustang, wearing nothing but a Stetson and leather chaps :D:hail:

On the other hand, if you want the job, take the focus ;)
Sponsored