Sponsored

Installing MGW Compact his morning-2015 GT

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just about ready to start install. MGW is closed through Jan 4. Has anyone installed this new compact design yet?

Any issues, concerns, tips? I'd sure appreciate it. Will be doing this in garage w jack stands.

I've watched 3 videos.
Sponsored

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
Not too many tips I can think of that aren't in the video. One thing I did that I don't think was in the videos was I took out and put in the linkage bolt from inside the car. Used a small 1/4" ratchet and went thru the hole in the console. Not sure if that makes it any easier or not but it worked for me. If you have any issues during install post it here

OP
OP

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
OK. Thanks! I'll get started in a few.

OP
OP

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Question - factory shift boot & collar

I must have missed this. How do we separate the leather shift boot from the plastic chrome collar? Not there yet - just thinking ahead.

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
You have to cut the collar off. I used a dremel

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Still at it.

Not enough room to easily place the shifter back in after placement of rubber boot.

OP
OP

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
All mount bolts are loose but for those star bolts. I think I need to loosen them but don't recall that in instructions

OP
OP

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Pulled mount arms off sides need got shifter on. Back at it. Hope to be done soon.

Sponsored

Iceman2733

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Like stated just follow the instructions in the video is all you need to do man he goes over it all in detail. I would say for the part of putting the rubber boot on, I had my wife help each of us got a side and it went right on. I fought it by myself for quite some time before I threw it and I mean literally threw it across the yard lol.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
the easiest way to put the boot on is to install the shifter and top half of it to set the reverse lock out, then remove the top half, put the boot on, then reinstall the top half again. Took like 30 seconds instead of fighting with it for minutes and getting greasy nasty fingers

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
It fits with the boot on you just need to find the right angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Done and a couple thoughts

The install is complete and tested briefly around the block. Took a bit longer than planned. My son was a big help but since he didn't preview vids, I spent some time talking him through things and to rematch videos with him.

The new shifter is a masterpiece. However, it was a bit difficult using multiple videos. Hopefully George will be able to create a single use vid for the compact. Until then I would recommend familiarizing yourself with what info is where. Maybe take notes while watching the vids in advance with times that various things are occurring. For example in vid 1 at 2:23 interior tear down starts (not really).

Anyway. This was an incredible experience with just a few frustrating moments, and my son (21) enjoyed as well. Awesome.

Sorry did not have time to take photos. The videos are very good for visuals.

I would encourage you to go for the shift knob. If I had not already picked up the Foose billet, I'd have gone for the weighted one w shift pattern.

No doubt that this Shifter will outlast transmission.

OP
OP

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Had a chance to run up the hill 80 up past Colfax to some icy roads, came back down and stopped at the Dine and Dash for some excellent biscuits and gravy. Anyway, hearing a bit of a thud going into first. Anyone heard of this?
Sponsored