Install component front speakers

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
This may sound like a dumb question, but I've been asking a lot of dumb audio questions here recently, so what's one more. Right?

I've replaced coaxial speakers before, and that's easy-peasy once you get the door panel off. But I've never played with component speakers before. Exactly what is required to change them out? Do you need to run new wires from the door speaker to the tweeter, or do you just splice in the new crossover and mount it in the door?

Where is the factory crossover, or is it built into the speakers?

I'm getting an amp put in Monday, and I keep going back and forth about whether to have them install component Phoenix Gold Ti speakers at the same time. I imagine I COULD do the install, but do I really WANT to?

I know some folks here have suggested that I go with running the front speakers active, but I just can't talk myself into not using the rear speakers. I'll run the stocks in the rear until I kill them, and then I can either turn them off or replace them. But I'd hate to spend this kind of money on an amp only to have it sound like crap on the drive home....
Sponsored

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
If you have the base 6 speaker then there is no crossover. The tweeter and front door speaker are run in parallel.

I reused the OEM wiring for the door speaker to avoid having to fish wires through that chaos. I just left the oem tweeter plug taped to the a-pillar so it didn't rattle. I then ran new wire directly to the new tweeter from the component set crossover.

OEM High level or low level signal to Amp signal input > Amp output > component crossover input> woofer out on component crossover to OEM front speaker wiring > tweeter output on component crossover to tweeter using new wire.