How to photograph your car

loonysup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium ingot silver w/ saddle leather
Thanks to the OP for posting this thread which encouraged me to put down my iPhone and pick up my Nikon. I'm still trying to find better locations in Central Florida and the sun is a killer with a silver car. I need to find more over cast days or try and snap some pics at dusk.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Thanks to the OP for posting this thread which encouraged me to put down my iPhone and pick up my Nikon. I'm still trying to find better locations in Central Florida and the sun is a killer with a silver car. I need to find more over cast days or try and snap some pics at dusk.
Nice black and white

15GTStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
try and go out ~1 hour before sunset for best results. For me, I try to remember that it's not really about the car, but the background and everything else in the photo. The car comes in second. So by that, try and watch what's going on in the background. Try not to have poles sticking up through the body lines or anything else distracting like people or other cars.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
Nice shots. Those 19" rims look like 18" tires on them with that sidewall. Swore these are 18's the first time I looked
LOL, it's not just you. They look a tad on the small side to me as well... but it will look better when I go lower.

The front tires are the exact same size as the OE ones.

Sponsored

danielc

photographer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcarusophotography.com
First Name
daniel
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp recaro
Great thread and posts everyone. I would like to second on lighting and creating a look for your photos. If not by lamps, then choosing a good time of day and positioning the sun in nice way for what you think looks good. I say 'you' because you are creating the image, not anyone here. See what works for you and keep perfecting it.

I am building a service for custom photographs for owners in my area, including fine art prints printed by me in-house up to 44" wide! Here is a sample from a lit session.
mustang gt red front brick overpass - full watermark.jpg

I love this discussion and its great that so many are creating great photographs of their cars!

Chris6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT w/PP
I just got a Sony A6000 with the 50mm but I'm looking to get a 35mm. Haven't put it through its paces yet but all the photos I've seen from other people with that camera is amazing! Hands down one of the best mirrorless cameras on the market.

Without a doubt man. If you shoot mostly portraits or still objects, definitely look into the Rokinon or Samyang 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm F1.4 lenses. They are all FULL MANUAL lenses but with Sony's focus peeking it's a breeze. Unbelievable lenses for the price!

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Great thread and posts everyone. I would like to second on lighting and creating a look for your photos. If not by lamps, then choosing a good time of day and positioning the sun in nice way for what you think looks good. I say 'you' because you are creating the image, not anyone here. See what works for you and keep perfecting it.

I am building a service for custom photographs for owners in my area, including fine art prints printed by me in-house up to 44" wide! Here is a sample from a lit session.

I love this discussion and its great that so many are creating great photographs of their cars!
Lovely shot, great contrast and composition.

Chris6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT w/PP
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429058068.726188.jpg

Fun with light painting when I had my Nikon D600..pitch black outside, couldn't see the car from where I was standing.

Sponsored

toplessfun

Photographer / IS Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yankiyuksel.com
First Name
Yanki
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible

I think I know you Daniel. :)

It's Yanki.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Tried some of the tips on one of my shots. Same photo. First one I used Photoshop and adjusted levels to more accurately portray what my eye actually saw, adjusted depth of field, and used sharpen. Second one is what the camera alone gave me. The biggest "Aha" for me was what the sharpening does to help bring out the lines of the car. Without sharpening it, it takes on a blur and kind of mutes the car. Levels are great, too, no doubt. Love that Photoshop.
Post.jpg
Post1.jpg

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP
It just got done raining and the car looked cool out of my window...so I took a shot.

Nikon D300, 70mm (Nikon lens - 24 - 70mm f2.8) , f2.8, 1/125s, ISO 400...through my living room window....

Sponsored