Sponsored

How is your Aftermarket Intercooler on Your EcoBoost?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2022
Looking to buy a CVFab Street Intercooler for my EB Mustang. I've heard there's more power down low and at higher RPM's (where torque usually decreases).

What are all the benefits you've seen from upgrading your stock intercooler? I'm hoping to see some more power overall and in the top end, lower cylinder head/charge temps, and less heatsoak.
Sponsored

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
I have the Cobb intercooler. I see charge temperature fall more quickly, after being stopped in traffic and generally more consistent temperatures on this measure. This probably contributes to some improvements in the areas you're looking at but I think consistency is what you will see day to day, with just a quality intercooler.

MadRabbit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost
You'll see more HP and torque but it's not that the car suddenly is making more power, it's more that the computer won't be pulling timing and robbing you of power. When the car heat soaks it can (and will) pull timing to protect itself and in the process you lose 20-30 HP. That is why most people say to get the intercooler swapped out ASAP.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Upgrading your IC will not add any more power but will give more consistent power by keeping the charge temps lower and more constant which keeps the PCM from pulling timing which causes the power loss. It also helps protect from detonation from hot charge temps, the stock IC will heat soak badly after one or two hard pulls.

BD

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2022
Sorry meant to say more power compared to when hot, since engine pulls timing. Car feels really slow in the summer compared to the fall for example.

Are you guys pretty happy with the new intercooler, do you feel the car feels more peppy and more powerful in the higher RPM's or anything else? Or is it just consistently powerful and doesn't get heatsoaked easily?

I've heard people say they feel more power even in the first pull, like more power down low and especially at higher RPM when the torque usually cuts out.

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
You will definitely notice a difference in how well the car pulls in winter temps versus summer temps for sure since the charge temps will be much higher in summer. I can say in winter temps below 50 degrees my ambient intake temps and charge temps with the CVFab street IC will be within a few degrees of each other when cruising at steady speeds especially on the highway. Then after a wot pull the charge temps recovers much faster than with the stock IC in the cooler temps.

In summer temps of up to 100 degrees I see about 10 to 20 degrees difference between ambient and charge temps at steady speeds and is a bit slower to recover but still recovers well.

I went on the Hot Rod power tour in June of 2022 with 100+ ambient temps the whole 5 days of the tour and saw charge temp of up to 160 degrees when in stop and go traffic getting into the events. But on the highways between events with ambient at 100 the charge temps were steady at 120 plus or minus a few degrees. I have the FP tune in my car and did a dyno pull in Pensacola, FL at 100 ambient and 125 charge temps and recorded 264RWHP and 380RWTQ on 3 back to back pulls.

MY HP was a flat curve from 2500 to 5500 rpm of 264 and the torque started at 380 at 2500 and tapered off to 300 at 5500 rpm.

BD

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2022
Thanks guys, I think I'll get one sooner or later - maybe closer to when the weather warms up again.
Sponsored