Sponsored

Just did all bolt ons in one swoop... need some input/thoughts to get the car running right.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Ok so mods I did were ARH headers, ported 2018 intake (lockouts are currently installed), and steeda open Proflow 114 mm. As of right now I only have AEDs base tune but can’t really datalog until I get these issues resolved. I’ll reach out to Shaun after I figure out the following issue.

Now a new issue I have, which wasn’t there before the mods, is coolant high even when cold. Basically at startup it goes directly to 194 degrees coolant head temp. Definitely didn’t do that before, and if I remember correctly it did it after I removed the old intake manifold, I just didn’t think anything of it at the time due to everything being disconnected at the time. (I remember it reading about the same when I had the battery connected and turned the ignition on) So I’m not sure if I somehow damaged a sensor or maybe damaged a wire.... any other thoughts?

besides that it’s really anemic, I haven’t really tried getting on it with the base tune and this issue but the little bit that I did, it felt like it has no ass. Also low idle and trouble starting.

I seem to always run into issues whenever I do something. Header, had to expand the pipes to get it on the headers, had shipping issues with all my parts orders 🤦🏻‍♂️ Well except for the mani. CAI I had to wallow out one of the holes to get everything to line up and of course shit keeps falling in the engine bay where I have to remove shit to get to it. oh yea and of course the headers are so big I can’t even get a deep well to ensure the damn engine mount is torqued enough...its tight but not real sure it’s tq’d to spec. Honestly the easiest part of this job was removing the mani and installing the headers themselves. Or at least those have been the least frustrating. Even did the shit on ramps in my apartment parking lot.

anyhow vent over 😩
Sponsored

Last edited:

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Is the fan coming on right at startup? If so then most likely the head temp sensor in the back of the head by the firewall is loose, disconnected, or damaged. Start there. When I did my intake manifold years ago I failed to reconnect that sensor on both heads and it gave me a CEL and the fan came on right away. Basically, it can't read the temp so the fan comes on as a fail safe in case the engine is overheating.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
If you're having low performance and you have the CEL from the cyl heads then I would assume again that since the ECU can't read the temps it is putting you in limp mode as a fail safe to protect the engine. Most likely it is cutting back on timing and throttle and adding fuel. That is the only explanation I can come up with. Or you have a vacuum leak from the install. Or an exhaust leak. Or something with the tune. But I would start with those head temp sensors. Check on them. If they are disconnected or damaged then fix that, clear out the DTCs, reload the tune for good measure, and see how it responds.

OP
OP
DivineStrike

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're having low performance and you have the CEL from the cyl heads then I would assume again that since the ECU can't read the temps it is putting you in limp mode as a fail safe to protect the engine. Most likely it is cutting back on timing and throttle and adding fuel. That is the only explanation I can come up with. Or you have a vacuum leak from the install. Or an exhaust leak. Or something with the tune. But I would start with those head temp sensors. Check on them. If they are disconnected or damaged then fix that, clear out the DTCs, reload the tune for good measure, and see how it responds.
thanks, and yea probably is in limp mode. A/f rario Sometimes wants to shoot up, so that makes sense if it wants to add a bunch of fuel. Only drops below 13/14 when it’s bogging at idle. Vacuum leak could be possible, I’ll have to try the smoke test if sensors don’t fix it. Very unlikely it’s an exhaust leak by the header, i did use a new oem gasket. But given my luck with this project I wouldn’t be surprised 🤦🏻‍♂️😩😅

Last edited:
OP
OP
DivineStrike

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the fan coming on right at startup? If so then most likely the head temp sensor in the back of the head by the firewall is loose, disconnected, or damaged. Start there. When I did my intake manifold years ago I failed to reconnect that sensor on both heads and it gave me a CEL and the fan came on right away. Basically, it can't read the temp so the fan comes on as a fail safe in case the engine is overheating.
and yea fan comes on right away, sensor at the back? Not one of the ones in the intake valley?

Last edited: