High beams will not stay on

blaisa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS, 1970 Camaro, 2019 Mustang Eco
I have a 2017 GT which the headlights high beams will not stay on. When you push or pull on the directional lever the high beams come on but as soon as you release it the headlights return to low beam The car is equipped with the HID (projector) type headlights. I have replaced the control lever on the steering column with no change.

My question is what component / relay keeps the high beams engaged / lit?
Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
do you have auto headlamps setting along with regular ON? If you do did you try it on both of those settings?

Shadetree43

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
21 EB Prem, VB, Pony Pkg, 201A, 13 RR F150 Lariat
From 2021 Owners Manual. 2017 is likely very close.

WHAT IS AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL The system turns on high beams if it is dark enough and no other traffic is present. If it detects an approaching vehicle’s headlamps or tail lamps, or street lighting ahead, the system turns the high beams off. Low beams remain on. A camera sensor, centrally mounted behind the windshield of your vehicle, continuously monitors conditions to turn the high beams on and off. SWITCHING AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL ON AND OFF Switch the system on or off using the information display. See General Information (page 99). Activating the Automatic High Beam Control Switch the lighting control to the autolamps position to activate. See Autolamps (page 81). Note: Automatic high beams are not available when autolamps are not turned on. When active, the high beams turn on if: • The ambient light level is low enough. • There is no traffic in front of your vehicle. • The vehicle speed is greater than approximately 32 mph (52 km/h). When active, the high beams turn off if: • The ambient light level is high enough that high beams are not required. • The system detects an approaching vehicle's headlamps or tail lamps. • The system detects severe rain, snow or fog. • The camera is blocked. • The vehicle speed falls below approximately 27 mph (44 km/h). Note: The deactivation speed is lower on curves. Note: High beam reactivation may be delayed in certain curvy road situations. Note:The system may not operate properly if the sensor is blocked. Keep the windshield free from obstruction or damage. Note:The system may not operate properly in cold or inclement conditions. You can switch on the high beams by overriding the system. Note: If the system detects a blockage, for example bird droppings, bug splatter, snow or ice, the system goes into low beam mode until you clear the blockage. A message may appear in the information display if the camera is blocked. Note: Using much larger tires or equipping vehicle accessories such as snowplows can modify your vehicle's ride height and degrade automatic high beam control performance. AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL INDICATORS The indicator illuminates to confirm when the system is ready to assist. OVERRIDING AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL WARNING: The system does not relieve you of your responsibility to drive with due care and attention. You may need to override the system if it does not turn the high beams on or off. 84 Mustang (CZG) Canada/United States of America, Vehicles Built From: 14-09-2020, enUSA, Edition date: 202010, First-Printing Automatic High Beam Control (If Equipped) WARNING: You may need to override the system when approaching other road users. WARNING: You may need to override the system during inclement weather. E162679 Push the lever away from you to switch between high beam and low beam.

Jimz3stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2008 Fusion, 2009 Mustang coupe
From 2021 Owners Manual. 2017 is likely very close.

WHAT IS AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL The system turns on high beams if it is dark enough and no other traffic is present. If it detects an approaching vehicle’s headlamps or tail lamps, or street lighting ahead, the system turns the high beams off. Low beams remain on. A camera sensor, centrally mounted behind the windshield of your vehicle, continuously monitors conditions to turn the high beams on and off. SWITCHING AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL ON AND OFF Switch the system on or off using the information display. See General Information (page 99). Activating the Automatic High Beam Control Switch the lighting control to the autolamps position to activate. See Autolamps (page 81). Note: Automatic high beams are not available when autolamps are not turned on. When active, the high beams turn on if: • The ambient light level is low enough. • There is no traffic in front of your vehicle. • The vehicle speed is greater than approximately 32 mph (52 km/h). When active, the high beams turn off if: • The ambient light level is high enough that high beams are not required. • The system detects an approaching vehicle's headlamps or tail lamps. • The system detects severe rain, snow or fog. • The camera is blocked. • The vehicle speed falls below approximately 27 mph (44 km/h). Note: The deactivation speed is lower on curves. Note: High beam reactivation may be delayed in certain curvy road situations. Note:The system may not operate properly if the sensor is blocked. Keep the windshield free from obstruction or damage. Note:The system may not operate properly in cold or inclement conditions. You can switch on the high beams by overriding the system. Note: If the system detects a blockage, for example bird droppings, bug splatter, snow or ice, the system goes into low beam mode until you clear the blockage. A message may appear in the information display if the camera is blocked. Note: Using much larger tires or equipping vehicle accessories such as snowplows can modify your vehicle's ride height and degrade automatic high beam control performance. AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL INDICATORS The indicator illuminates to confirm when the system is ready to assist. OVERRIDING AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM CONTROL WARNING: The system does not relieve you of your responsibility to drive with due care and attention. You may need to override the system if it does not turn the high beams on or off. 84 Mustang (CZG) Canada/United States of America, Vehicles Built From: 14-09-2020, enUSA, Edition date: 202010, First-Printing Automatic High Beam Control (If Equipped) WARNING: You may need to override the system when approaching other road users. WARNING: You may need to override the system during inclement weather. E162679 Push the lever away from you to switch between high beam and low beam.
Hey, you sound like you’re familiar with the stangs, do know about transmission as well ? I have a 4.0,5 spd man. I bought another trans with 83k on it, should I have old one rebuilt or the replacement one? I don’t have money for both. Thx .

Shadetree43

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
Hey, you sound like you’re familiar with the stangs, do know about transmission as well ? I have a 4.0,5 spd man. I bought another trans with 83k on it, should I have old one rebuilt or the replacement one? I don’t have money for both. Thx .
Well I don't know about your first thought, but I have been there and done that a working on/with cars a long time and a few years back, but with a Toyota . If your are handy and plan on doing it yourself, (changing a transmission isn't really that hard) with proper tools, jack stands, etc.
Since you already have another transmission, are you anywhere confident it might be good? I got the one I changed from a "you pick it" salvage yard. The donor car looked reasonably nice on inside and had been hit on one corner in rear. Driveline looked straight. Pulled it and put in mine & lasted several years and went with the car when my daughter traded it.
Basically in a case like this, you pays your money and takes your chance (with some research if possible). You don’t want a transmission from a stick shift driving school.
Good luck with whatever you decide, just be safe doing it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

blaisa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Not on the 17 Mustang. Not sure what year Mustang they put that on but the 2017 did not have automatic high beam control. I currently own two 2017 Mustang GT/CS and my other one works properly. Push the lever forward and the high beams stay on even in bright sunlight conditions.

There must be something which engages / keeps the high beams in when the lever is pushed forward. Relay or something.

OP
OP

blaisa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
do you have auto headlamps setting along with regular ON? If you do did you try it on both of those settings?
You are the second person to mention automatic headlight setting. If so equipped and I do not know it how can I tell? How do I change the settings.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
You are the second person to mention automatic headlight setting. If so equipped and I do not know it how can I tell? How do I change the settings.
If you have auto then that would be turning the light all the way to the right(for auto), one short of that should regular headlights and ,one more short would be parking lights. Start with that as I d have to see manual for further settings. so be sure you're not On auto and see if that works the beams first. I not familiar with your specific year.

OP
OP

blaisa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
If you have auto then that would be turning the light all the way to the right(for auto), one short of that should regular headlights and ,one more short would be parking lights. Start with that as I d have to see manual for further settings. so be sure you're not On auto and see if that works the beams first. I not familiar with your specific year.
Okay. Then yes I have had the light switch in the correct position. High beams won't stay on.

Shadetree43

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I did not realize 2017 year did not have Auto-HiBeam feature.
From the Mustang Brochure, it looks like that feature became available with the 2018 refresh as a part of the "Safe & Smart" package. Quote below is directly from a 2018 Mustang Brochure.

Ford Safe and Smart Package: adaptive cruise control & forward collision
warning with brake support; Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection
and active braking; automatic high-beam headlamps; BLIS ® (Blind Spot
Information System) with cross-traffic alert; Lane-Keeping System; rain-
sensing windshield wipers; and memory feature for driver’s seat, sideview
mirrors and ambient lighting
Sponsored