Sponsored

helmat sa2010 vs a sa2015

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Baaah, screw it... Voyager 2 2015 it is. Even gonna throw in a few extra bucks for mat black.

I may be slow, but I'll look good :)

Forgot rule #1 - always test fit, especially as a first time buyer. The different brands differ in sizing and what head shape they work best with.

If you are tall, you might want to take note of the shell size, or how much height a helmet adds. For cost reasons, every helmet size doesn't get its own unique outter shell. This varies by brand an model. This can cost you up to an inch of headroom if you have a small helmet with a big shell.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jabrax

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
Forgot rule #1 - always test fit, especially as a first time buyer. The different brands differ in sizing and what head shape they work best with.

If you are tall, you might want to take note of the shell size, or how much height a helmet adds. For cost reasons, every helmet size doesn't get its own unique outter shell. This varies by brand an model. This can cost you up to an inch of headroom if you have a small helmet with a big shell.

Damn, and i already ordered one. :doh:

Little nervous now, because I took a measurement and I hit exactly where it starts for large. The helmet I rent at njmp is a large and fits very snug. So I assumed large would be safe.

being on the border of med/large puts at a 50/50 shot.

They were one of the few places that had on in stock and shipped. Fingers crossed

I agree with you, helmets should probably be handled like shoes, not something to order online without trying first

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yes. That is why I like Bells. Their sizing runs a bit bigger. A medium bell fits me well, but a medium is usually too small with other brands. But a large is a bit big with those brands. So Bell is my Goldilocks brand.

But I have never tried a Simpson helmet.

Reactions: GTP
OP
OP
jabrax

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
The voyager 2 came in last week. It fits juuuuust tight enough, nice and snug around the face.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Yes. That is why I like Bells. Their sizing runs a bit bigger. A medium bell fits me well, but a medium is usually too small with other brands. But a large is a bit big with those brands. So Bell is my Goldilocks brand.

But I have never tried a Simpson helmet.
I measured my head, and I was at the upper limit of size Medium. I ordered a G-force open-face helmet from Summit in medium. Felt like my head was in a vice. Same for a couple friends that tried that helmet. I had about an inch to spare to my roof. (I am 6'2".) I returned it to Summit.

Not sure what to do next. If I track just a few times a year, isn't an inexpensive open face helmet good enough for me? For example, a Hans device requires tether points on the helmet, and multi-point harness, new racing seat, etc. I don't plan to go down that rabbit hole.

I don't plan to find the limits of my car or my skill by the size of the body shop bill. I just want to drive fast in a controlled and safer environment than on the street.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You need to find out what each organization you plan on running with requires. Helmet minimums are up to them, not you. As far as I know, the use of a Hans device for HPDE is still up to you, though.

Personally, I wouldn't wear an open-face helmet for anything past autocross.

Norm
Sponsored

Reactions: GTP