Sponsored

Heal / Toe

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Is it me or are the pedals not set right so as to make heal and toe difficult? Anything I can do to adjust them? They were set better in my E90 M3.

On another note, it was nice to be able to redline her for the first time since last year because of the bad weather we've had. Im getting used to the torque curve on this engine, how it puts down its power and im improving at anticipating when the back is about to slip out!

Also, the P Zeros seem to be gripping better, not sure why that is? Might be my imagination or does the grip improve when a tyre is mid way through its life and 'bed in'??
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah they're really not set up for it.

The tyres grip better when they're warmer, 10c + and they're fine, if you think ambient temp at the moment is between 7 and 11 depending where you are they'll grip quicker than trying to get them up to temp at 0c.

Every tyres grippier when bedded in and all the "shit" rubbed off them (oils for storage etc).

Also, heel toe kits:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-heel-toe-pedal-kit-manual-2015-555-1272.html

I think [MENTION=14447]Centurion07[/MENTION] did it.

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The tyres grip better when they're warmer, 10c + and they're fine, if you think ambient temp at the moment is between 7 and 11 depending where you are they'll grip quicker than trying to get them up to temp at 0c.

Every tyres grippier when bedded in and all the "shit" rubbed off them (oils for storage etc).

Also, heel toe kits:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-heel-toe-pedal-kit-manual-2015-555-1272.html

Thanks. Yep Im aware summer tyres are set for 7+ deg c but the tyres seem to be gripping better than Ive felt since I got the car, nearly a year now. So it's either im getting more used to the car or the tyres are bedding or it's my imagination

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways

Also, heel toe kits:

steeda pedal kits are useless unless you put some spacing to raise the throttle up I used this https://garageline.com/home/117-garageline-2015-2016-ford-mustang-accelerator-pedal-mount.html designed for exactly that. brings throttle level with brake

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it's the differing heights that's the issue

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Gotcha, i was remembering something like that, however didn't want to missinform. :p!

The steeda ones good when it spaces the accelerator towards the brake making heel toe, retardidly simple.
yeah the steeda kit allows you to use left and right side of your foot instead of actual heel and toe but its the height difference that kills it.

I believe you got confused as I think it was cent that used a chunk of black packing foam between standard pedal and steeda accelerator pedal cover to raise the throttle height to match the brake.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
yeah the steeda kit allows you to use left and right side of your foot instead of actual heel and toe but its the height difference that kills it.

I believe you got confused as I think it was cent that used a chunk of black packing foam between standard pedal and steeda accelerator pedal cover to raise the throttle height to match the brake.
I'm not too sure, someone did buy a pedal kit thought it was Tony :shrug: Might have been gibbo though.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the Steeda pedals but did have to raise the throttle pedal by about an inch with some thick nylon-type washer underneath.

Pics are in my build thread somewhere...
We'll share the victory here [MENTION=26439]hinch[/MENTION] 50/50 a piece :D!

Sponsored

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
Do people double de-clutch as well as heel and toe, or just heel and toe.

The second will increase wear and tear on the synchro's because you are not correctly rev matching the lay shaft/neutral shaft, to the output shaft ?

Just heel and toe changing without double de-clutching during the change will increase wear as you are relying on the synchro itself to rev match the output shaft rather than letting the clutch and engine rev match the shafts and allowing a far smoother change.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Do people double de-clutch as well as heel and toe, or just heel and toe.

The second will increase wear and tear on the synchro's because you are not correctly rev matching the lay shaft/neutral shaft, to the output shaft ?

Just heel and toe changing without double de-clutching during the change will increase wear as you are relying on the synchro itself to rev match the output shaft rather than letting the clutch and engine rev match the shafts and allowing a far smoother change.
Heel-toe will not increase wear on the synchros. Both methods do the same thing; match engine speed with transmission speed without the need for synchromesh. Double clutching is entirely pointless on pretty much any car since the 40s (maybe even earlier, as synchromesh was invented in the 20s). Heel Toe will do exactly what you want it to do without the redundant shift to neutral. The only modern vehicles I can think of that would benefit from double-clutching would be HGVs with simplified (but very robust) synchromesh systems where you don't want the transmission under massive load when you engage the next gear.

Rev Matching, after-all, is just Heel Toe without the third pedal.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Heel-toe will not increase wear on the synchros. Both methods do the same thing; match engine speed with transmission speed without the need for synchromesh. Double clutching is entirely pointless on pretty much any car since the 40s (maybe even earlier, as synchromesh was invented in the 20s). Heel Toe will do exactly what you want it to do without the redundant shift to neutral. The only modern vehicles I can think of that would benefit from double-clutching would be HGVs with simplified (but very robust) synchromesh systems where you don't want the transmission under massive load when you engage the next gear.

Rev Matching, after-all, is just Heel Toe without the third pedal.

I have a 1973 mg midget that would like to inform you that not every car since the 40's had syncro's :)

1-2 can be interesting especially if driving it a little bit spirited

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a 1973 mg midget that would like to inform you that not every car since the 40's had syncro's :)
The 4-speed transmission in the Midget is from the 50s IIRC (isn't it used in a few Morris cars in some fashion?), so not far off from the 40s and, in true British car fashion, was never really updated once they got it sort-of working. :lol: Feel free to correct me.

Even so, in a modern car, double clutching is entirely pointless and rev-matching / heel-toe will suffice.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
The 4-speed transmission in the Midget is from the 50s IIRC (isn't it used in a few Morris cars in some fashion?), so not far off from the 40s and, in true British car fashion, was never really updated once they got it sort-of working. :lol: Feel free to correct me.

Even so, in a modern car, double clutching is entirely pointless and rev-matching / heel-toe will suffice.
it was indeed used in a few morris's and a few other cars too as its direct bolt up to A series engine which was used in B's , C's, Mini's, Miners, metro's! after a variant.
Sponsored