ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Hey guys -

Getting around to replacing my passenger side headlight. Was in a fender bender and it took the brunt of the hit. Scratched the lens and broke 2/3 tabs so it's wobbly. Everything else works.

Question: If I buy the housing, what's the process like to transfer the other parts over? Ballast and bulb is it? Anyone do this?

Thanks!
Sponsored

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
the headlight itself is separate from the ballast. the bulb is like replacing a bulb on any headlight.

OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
The bulb transfer itself I'm not to concerned about. First time I've ever heard the term ballast...not sure what's involved with moving that from old housing to new housing and/or if there are other parts I have to move over.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
the ballast shouldn't be mounted to the headlight, it hadn't been with any of my past cars.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Because it's an HID headling (High Intensity Discharge) it has a separate ballast. In conventional headlights, you just had a halogen bulb that would plug into the headlight housing and then a wiring harness that would plug into the back of the light.

In the case of HID headlights, you have an HID bulb that plugs into the housing (just like a halogen bulb would) but then you have a ballast that plugs into the bulb. The ballast circulates the gas inside of the bulb to provide the light. I am no expert on the Mustang headlight specifically but I would assume the wiring harness would plug into the ballast, not the bulb itself.

As you take the original headlight off the car, I would imagine the location of these parts should be self explanatory. As was said above, you'll just need a new housing. All of the bulbs and harness's should transfer. As for the DRL's, those are LED boards that should already be integrated into your new headlight housing. You'll probably just need to plug a harness into them. Not sure if the HID ballast I mentioned earlier is somehow integrated into the headlight housing or is separate but again, that should become obvious as you take it apart.

EDIT: The headlight parts should look something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231885922886?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
You have the bulb itself and then the ballast. Assuming your headlight functions now, both parts should be transferable to your new housing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
In looking further, it does indeed secure itself to back of the housing. Looks like 4 screws. I just wasn't sure exactly what it was.

Doesn't seem like this will be that tough.

Thanks!

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
well shit, that's interesting. i guess it makes sense for packaging requirements on newer cars.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Confirmed. Here is the part diagram. It does indeed look like the ballast mounts to the headlight housing. At least it's on the outside so it should be easily removable.
Headlight Diagram.JPG

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious but have you already purchased the replacement headlight housing? When I was rear ended about a year ago, one of my taillights had to be replaced because of some very minor damage (a small part of the black plastic surround cracked). Apparently the one taillight assembly was $900! I'm assuming part of that is because of the integrated LED boards.

From what I can tell, the headlight housing isn't any better. The Ford Parts site lists it as being $1300! Not sure if that includes everything shown in the pic posted above or is just for the housing. I would imagine you could potentially start finding these parts in junk yards here and there. After all, there's a Cars & Coffee event just about every weekend! Lol ;)

Good luck!

OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Just curious but have you already purchased the replacement headlight housing? When I was rear ended about a year ago, one of my taillights had to be replaced because of some very minor damage (a small part of the black plastic surround cracked). Apparently the one taillight assembly was $900! I'm assuming part of that is because of the integrated LED boards.

From what I can tell, the headlight housing isn't any better. The Ford Parts site lists it as being $1300! Not sure if that includes everything shown in the pic posted above or is just for the housing. I would imagine you could potentially start finding these parts in junk yards here and there. After all, there's a Cars & Coffee event just about every weekend! Lol ;)

Good luck!
Haven't purchased it yet. I'm perusing eBay. Hardest part is finding these with the mounting tabs intact. No way in hell I'm giving ford close to $1000 for this. The $1,300 I believe includes the ballast and the bulb, probably worth $500 alone. I either need to find a new hood or a good shop, corner got a little bent too. Trying to save where I can.

I was hoping they'd pop up in junkyards, headlights seem to take much of the hit when running into people it seems. Shame.

Sponsored

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
at the price they cost, you're best sucking it up and using your insurance and eating your deductible

OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I'm confident I can replace/fix both for less than my deductible. Hard lesson learned that my deductible was too high. Fixed now.
Sponsored