Has anyone used Plastidip for stripes?

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
On the dip your car.com site, they show using painters tape to get a straight edge (without using a gap like usual).

Can you really get a clean edge with painters tape (maybe the light green special kind)?

Does Plastidip come in a silver color? And if so has anyone done stripes with that, with the Glossifier to make it glossy or at least semi glossy?

somewhere I read it's weird to wash plastidip areas on a car. But then you see whole cars that have been plasti dipped. :shrug:
Sponsored

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
I think it would be hard to get a consistent and smooth look on so large an area without using a spraygun system (there are systems out there just for Plastidip, but the cost runs against the cheap mod idea). Rattle-canning it would be a pita.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I could see it working for hash marks over the wheels

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I think it would be hard to get a consistent and smooth look on so large an area without using a spraygun system (there are systems out there just for Plastidip, but the cost runs against the cheap mod idea). Rattle-canning it would be a pita.
I'd think it's likely difficulty to gett an even coat with a spray can over large areas. I did buy a spray kit from Harbor Freight (that I never opened) last year... Hmmmn, I wonder if it would work with this thick material.

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang Coupe
I used it on my wifes for a stripe across the trunk top and hood. It is very hard to get a smooth look. VERY HARD! I had to redo it 3 times. The straight edges are easy. Tape off with whatever you want, but pull the tape up while it is still wet. If you let ut dry at all, it will peel up the plastidip. the silver can be purchased online

Sponsored

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I used it on my wifes for a stripe across the trunk top and hood. It is very hard to get a smooth look. VERY HARD! I had to redo it 3 times. The straight edges are easy. Tape off with whatever you want, but pull the tape up while it is still wet. If you let ut dry at all, it will peel up the plastidip. the silver can be purchased online
Can you post some close up and regular pictures? What technique did you learn by try #3? :)

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang Coupe
Can you post some close up and regular pictures? What technique did you learn by try #3? :)
Heavy heavy coats. Almost to the point of running
Sponsored