Sponsored

Best way to "friendly" rev in an A10 while in motion?

1emglenn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 A10 Roush phase 2
Got a friend down the street who is a gear-head and loves the sound of my car. If I'm going by and see him out, I always slip in neutral and give him a couple of revs. Doing somewhere in the twenties and the trans doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Smoothly goes in neutral and just as smoothly goes back in gear when I'm done.
Sponsored

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
I'm over that rev shit. Just make sure you "can" stomp that 392 when it counts is all that matters.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Disclaimer: This not about douche style revving lol. Just talking about those friendly taps or two give when a nice V8 does it to you rarely from time to time.
Don't try to fool yourself, it's all douchey.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Is it possible the 392 be a manual and dude was downshifting/rev matching to come to a stop ? And you just thought he was giving you a “friendly rev”
This happens to me more than I would like. Slowing down I often engine brake, and so I go into lower gear, and the rev match blips the throttle (or I sometimes turn it off and manual rev match), and then I've had (mostly) challenger V6 & V8's, bmw 5 series (not even M5, really?), and Audis start to rev like I am asking them to rev "salute".

And some challengers would get aggressive and rev and rev, or just bounce their engine against the rev limiter while waiting at the light (or traffic moved and he's staring at me revving), and when I drive off slowly (exhaust in sport+ of course) they'd peel their tires... one guy almost crashed into a car making right on red because he was in the right lane and I was stopped to make a left. He stood there revving over and over, and the car making right turn on red in front of him thought he'd was stopped to let them go, and the challenger took off (idiot wasn't even looking at the front, just looking at me), and almost crashed into the car.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy revving my engine, and the reason why I got the active exhaust was so that I wouldn't annoy my neighbors (I go to quiet mode when I leave/return to my house) which means 3 blocks away from my house it goes right to sport+. And I drive "spiritedly" often... And I do enjoy running into car guys in the road and people saluting, but I don't enjoy immature folks who get all riled up and lose all common sense because they hear a V8 engine revving next to them.

When I first got my GTPP, I passed an oncoming magnetic PP2, as he approached, he lowered his window and gave a peace sign. I now do the same thing. Or when I think it may be mis-observed as the one finger salute, I sometimes do the "hang loose". I have had more positive reaction to it than revs. To each their own I guess.

As for popping into Neutral while in drive, I used to do it decades ago, when I drove my "blue beast", a beat up 88 Ford tempo, but that was because it was like a 3spd auto, and at 70mph, it was near redline. And I used to pop into neutral, and then just rev match before I pop back onto gear... that car lasted over 100k miles.

As for the A10 on the mustang, I would think the computer would not allow you to mash gears if you pop out and in from drive to N, but hearing how people are saying it takes 3 sec to re-engage the gear, I'd be more weary of not being able to jump back to engine control more than ruining your tranny. It's not like you are asking here if you can do a neutral drop on the A10.

But THAT being said, what I like most after a good rev is the sound of a V8 l, engine-breaking on lower gear (not the blip, but the loooong sound, that lowers in note as car slows). If a GT did that next to me, I'd think that's cool and probably give you the peace sign.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I really want that DCT.
x2. Badly. Is yours back yet Mik?

OP if you must...left foot on brake and knock it into neutral, blip then wait for the revs to settle and select a gear. Try it in a carpark and get to know the engagement lag if any so no one crunches your exhaust tips when the lights change. Not sure what protections the A10 has but older boxes eg T700 or TF 727 don't like being put in gear with revs on board as it shocks the drivetrain...breaky parts....

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Very interesting thread. I was actually just commenting to my fiance the other day that one of the reasons I like my manual is that I can blip it whenever I want (I guess that makes me a douche? I just like the sound). Never really thought about being able to slip it into neutral with the A10.

As for downshift revmatching blips setting off a round of blips from other cars around me at a light - that's happened to me as well. I don't mind though: I just give them a few blips back ;-)

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
You didn't need to rev back. Here's all you gotta do. Follow these instructions for next time.

Roll down the window.
Now put your right hand in the middle of the steering wheel and your left hand out of the window. Now simultaneously lay on the horn and shoot those f***ers a middle finger for not driving a Ford. Quickly peel out.

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
Is it possible the 392 be a manual and dude was downshifting/rev matching to come to a stop ? And you just thought he was giving you a “friendly rev”
Nope. Dodge owners can't drive stick and sure as hell don't know what rev matching is.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Story checks out. My Charger doesn't have any "sticks", and I don't even know what a "rev" is or what it gets matched with.
Look It's all very technical. let the real drivers worry about things like that. You just worry about that latte you keep in your right hand.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I also, legitimately don't know what a latte is. Whenever it's explained to me, my eyes glaze over at the phrase "steamed milk". What the fuck does that even mean? I'm also a tea drinker.
It's in the Ford Mustang Manual under "What to do with your right hand if you opted for the girly man's transmission".

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
If your still moving and in higher gear with very little throttle I'd guess you could quickly floor it then back out of the gas as quick as you got in it, car will drop from 10th to maybe 3rd depending on your speed resulting in a nice Rev. In my car at least it doesn't result in unwanted acceleration if done quickly(I usually do it if I want to drop gears before a sharp turn).
Corvette guy in front's gonna be super impressed too, when that slight miscalculation suddenly causes the Mustang behind him to ram into his rear I'm sure.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
bmw 5 series (not even M5, really?)
Fwiw depending on year, up to 2017 on the 5 series had twin turbo V8s in them. I have an 650ix in addition to my Mustang and it will flat out scoot off line the line. It would for sure beat the Mustang. Sound is absolutely zero to write home about, but a hoot to drive.
Sponsored