Sponsored

Handbrake Creak

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 EcoBoost Grabber Blue
Debating whether or not to use the pony for next weeks summer hols. However, this involves many hours on a ferry crossings. I'm concerned that the handbrake might not hold the car if the crossing is chopping, clearly with a really rough crossing you're in the lap of the gods anyway.

My handbrake creaks when the car is on an incline. I reported this before it's first service but the dealer assured me that the handbrake tension was as high as they could adjust it.

What's the opinion on the handbrake, is the creaking a cause for concern? If I take it should I take some wheel chocks for peace of mind?!
Sponsored

Wobs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My handbrake also creaks and is without doubt, the worst handbrake I've had in 40+ years of motoring, my Dealer adjusted it at the first service, but it didn't make any difference, it holds if I really YANK it on, but I shouldn't have to do that :D

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Yes, mine creaks and I think this has been mentioned by others on the forum. Someone described it as sounding like an "old boat". Had my cable tightened at the last service and seems to have made a little difference although I may just be deluding myself. I definitely wouldn't leave it out of gear on a hill and rely on just the handbrake.

You could stick some chocks in the car for the ferry crossing. If you could get some vintage (P51 Mustang era) USAF chocks, it'd be awesome!

chock-with-wheel.jpg

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
I've seen a couple of [S550] Mustangs where the handbrake is pulled up at a staggering 45 degrees when parked and yet mine barely raises above the centre console, literally 2 clicks, and holds fast with no issues whatsoever. Sounds like your adjustment is off to me.

A friend of mine had the same issue on just about every car he owned, regardless of manufacturer, which turned out to be his somewhat 'over zealous' yanking on the handbrake, far in excess of what was needed to hold the car, which stretched the handbrake cables to the point that no further adjustment was available.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen a couple of [S550] Mustangs where the handbrake is pulled up at a staggering 45 degrees when parked and yet mine barely raises above the centre console, literally 2 clicks, and holds fast with no issues whatsoever. Sounds like your adjustment is off to me.

A friend of mine had the same issue on just about every car he owned, regardless of manufacturer, which turned out to be his somewhat 'over zealous' yanking on the handbrake, far in excess of what was needed to hold the car, which stretched the handbrake cables to the point that no further adjustment was available.
I'm so paranoid with handbrakes after my yaris rolled on a hill with the handbrake pulled that I literally yank the fker as high as it can go (I'm sure you'll have seen mine at like a 90* angle lol).

That said, it doesn't creak at all. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Seems there are 2 camps for this...those that yank the handbrake like their life depended on it (Manders), and those that raise it just enough. I'm the latter, and if I'm on a slight hill, I'll raise it a little more. It'll creak a little if I'm on a hill, but then I just pull it up a little harder - but never so it points to the roof like Manders :lol:

IMO if you're on a flat surface, it doesn't need to be pulled that high, but I know there are some heavy handed folks out there. I remember shouting at my Dad when he drove my Ecoboost & lifted it too high for my liking :tsk:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Seems there are 2 camps for this...those that yank the handbrake like their life depended on it (Manders), and those that raise it just enough. I'm the latter, and if I'm on a slight hill, I'll raise it a little more. It'll creak a little if I'm on a hill, but then I just pull it up a little harder - but never so it points to the roof like Manders :lol:

IMO if you're on a flat surface, it doesn't need to be pulled that high, but I know there are some heavy handed folks out there. I remember shouting at my Dad when he drove my Ecoboost & lifted it too high for my liking :tsk:
Lifting too high doesn't do any damage anyway. Engineering explained goes through it. Total myth they're all just notched out, equally if you push the button or not (for raising it), offers no benefit. (again citing EngExp)

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Lifting too high doesn't do any damage anyway.
But it will as mentioned stretch the handbrake cable(s) under excessive load!

Diverting slightly off topic here (but still related)... one thing I've never quite sussed out is why years ago, when driving cars made in the 60's and 70's, you could yank the handbrake on and the rear wheels would lock up with ease, but with every modern car, at least from the 90's onwards that I've tried it with (and I've tried it on every car I've owned, especially the FWD ones, as I've always at some point got bored going round corners at speed with huge amounts of understeer and tried to liven things up) the rears will just not lock with the handbrake. Something to do no doubt with the move from drums to discs on more modern cars.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Diverting slightly off topic here (but still related)... one thing I've never quite sussed out is why years ago, when driving cars made in the 60's and 70's, you could yank the handbrake on and the rear wheels would lock up with ease, but with every modern car, at least from the 90's onwards that I've tried it with (and I've tried it on every car I've owned, especially the FWD ones, as I've always at some point got bored going round corners at speed with huge amounts of understeer and tried to liven things up) the rears will just not lock with the handbrake. Something to do no doubt with the move from drums to discs on more modern cars.
You need one hell of a yank to get that cable to snap, sooner see the rubber arm break than the steel cable :lol:!

Gibbo can probably explain something about the handbrake and stuff like that, to me, (in the muz) if I'm going to drift, ESC is off and the handbrake is only ever used in short bursts (more pumping it than tugging and holding like I had to do in the silvia when I learnt)

Sponsored

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver

Quite a bit of that (if not the vast majority) is down to the fact that the percentage surface area of rear pads compared to rear discs is minute, compared to the surface area of shoes to a drum.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
... one thing I've never quite sussed out is why years ago, when driving cars made in the 60's and 70's, you could yank the handbrake on and the rear wheels would lock up with ease, but with every modern car, at least from the 90's onwards that I've tried it with (and I've tried it on every car I've owned, especially the FWD ones, as I've always at some point got bored going round corners at speed with huge amounts of understeer and tried to liven things up) the rears will just not lock with the handbrake. Something to do no doubt with the move from drums to discs on more modern cars.
I think the handbrake traditionally used the rear drums, but I don't think the discs are used for the handbrake on a modern car. I think there's a separate little 'mini-drum' or something?

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
Lifting too high doesn't do any damage anyway. Engineering explained goes through it. Total myth they're all just notched out, equally if you push the button or not (for raising it), offers no benefit. (again citing EngExp)
I have always been in the habit of pushing the button when lifting handbrake lever to reduce wear in the ratchet. I dont suppose many folk keep a car long enough to wear out a ratchet but it just seems the correct thing to do. I always park with brake on & in gear. In the garage the handbrake is off.
My M3W has a fly-off handbrake which took a bit of getting used to. Pull back then press the button to set it, to release pull back & release - simples.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Mine did creak but now i pull the handbrake right up it seems to be fine. Likewise Tim, I always push button when lifting the handbrake, sounds amateurish not to

Other alternative is to leave it in gear

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have always been in the habit of pushing the button when lifting handbrake lever to reduce wear in the ratchet. I dont suppose many folk keep a car long enough to wear out a ratchet but it just seems the correct thing to do. I always park with brake on & in gear. In the garage the handbrake is off.
My M3W has a fly-off handbrake which took a bit of getting used to. Pull back then press the button to set it, to release pull back & release - simples.
I still press it don't get me wrong, but you don't need to ;)! Also the noise is fucking annoying if you dont press it. But the press button is traditionally as a release rather than an engager. yada yada, more pointless words ;)!

Here's my hyper erect handbrake btw.
Sponsored