GT500 dome map light led replacement

jpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Audi RS3
I successfully replaced my dome map lights with leds. No pictures; sorry. But here are the steps.

Do Not try to pull the whole assembly down.

Remove the lens shield:
  • Use a very thin electrical screwdriver or two, or something similar.
  • The lens is attached by three lips. The big one points directly at the front of the car. There are two smaller lips that are each pointed towards a rear corner of the car. As you look up at the lens, visualize the big lip clip at 6, and the two smaller ones at 10 and 2.
  • The basic idea is to pry the two smaller lips out slowly, and have the lens fall or pop out. My lenses popped out without breaking anything. Go slow! I used two small electrical screwdrivers, the first to gain a hold, and the second to work my way around gently and have the lens pop out.
Remove the bulb:
Use the scotch tape method. Insert a long piece of scotch tape with the sticky side towards the bulb. The hard part is getting the sticky tape all the way behind the bulb. There’s not much clearance, so it took me several tries on each bulb. Use the tape to essentially tie a tape knot around the bulb. Now pull the taped-together tape with the bulb in it out, in the out direction of the bulb socket. You may need to but a finger on the tape of the bulb to insure a strong contact. Even after I successfully pulled out one bulb this way, I still had problems getting the second one out.

Insert the led. Test by turning on the dome light with the switch. If no go, remove, turn over and replace.

Replace the lens cover.
Sponsored