Sponsored

GT350R on coil-overs

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yes, it's clear the Tractive setup emulates and even exceeds the stock Magneride adaptability. My comments were regarding the relative benefits and demerits of conventional coil-overs vs. stock Magneride.

Side comment, it is interesting to me that the Tractive hardware very closely resembles AST hardware (same anodized orange collars and mount plates, similar seals and bearings). I know nothing about DSC Sport's origins, but I wonder if there is some relation.
Check out https://tractivesuspension.com/

The origin of the color scheme is covered on the history page.
Sponsored

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
On the street perhaps.
The car does still have body roll. But the magneride slows the body roll motion. The Tractive system gives you road manners in a full coil over race set up, allows corner balance, reduced weight. I have adjustable sway bars and end links. I can drive on the street with sport cup 2 or lesser tires and full race slicks if I like on the track.
Any track event you should have at least a 4 point roll bar, 5-6 point harness, helmet and HANS device
Maybe I missed it, are you selling this setup? Nothing wrong with that I suppose. The GT350 isn’t a race car so it confuses me slightly why one would want to reengineer the excellent stock setup and reduce the street ability and value of the car. To each his own. Regarding the stock shocks, if they were legal to run, I would be building a car around them now as I suspect it would go faster with stock shocks than with a $10,000 set of Dynamics and a year spent chasing chassis setup. Magneride is like cheating imho. :shrug:

Reactions: _M_
OP
OP
Kenwood1113

Kenwood1113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350R
I have a heavily modified 2016 GT350 Track pack.
By modified I mean the following.

Forgeline GA1R open lugs
Pilot sport cup 2

Front:
R splitter
Vorshlag camber plates
Cortex monoballs
Eibach sway bar
Delrin sway bar bushings
Cortex adjustable sway bar end links
Ford performance springs
Arp wheel studs

Rear:
Cortex monoballs
Eibach sway bar
Delrin sway bar bushings
Cortex adjustable sway bar end links
Ford performance springs
Arp wheel studs
Ford performance toe bearings
Ford performance IRS cradle bushings
Ford performance differential bushings
Self made vertical links
Voodoo13 toe links
Voodoo13 adjustable camber links

Engine:
ARH headers
ARH catless x pipe
Lund 100 octane tune
Sunoco 260gt 100 octane race gas

Drivetrain:
MGW shifter
QA1 driveshaft

Interior:
Watson roll bar
Srp pedals
R rear seat delete

I’m still waiting on recaro profi spa carbon race seats.
I’m trying to remove as much weight as possible without going to carbon fiber.

With that said, I have been seriously shopping for coil overs, cortex racing is your best bet. Since our cars have magneride, it’s not as simple as just removing the magneride dampers and adding coil overs. Once you unplug or remove the magneride it deactivates abs, steering etc.

Cortex has already done gt350s by overriding the magneride system and making it all work. They offer JRI and Ohlin. If I wanted to do the dial and knob coil over set up I’d go with Ohlin myself.

But what I really want and have been waiting for is the Tractive coil over dampers. They been working on it for about 2 years now and just had a booth setup at PRI this year. I contacted them last week and waiting for more info.
Tractive is the way to go, you keep all your controls but they are now coil overs and it’s the future of dampers. No knobs or dials. All can be adjusted with the DSC controller. Easy and trick.

Agreed, the Tractive system is very interesting and arguably the most sophisticated. It might be worth making a phone call to get an update on development.

Thanks

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
In most performance cars, moving from the stock suspension to a more capable/ stiffer spring/coilover setup that goes from single to double/triple adjustable will at most, give you about 1.5 seconds on a ~2 mile track in the hands of a skilled driver. I would be very surprised given the sophistication of the Magneride that controllable software for Mageride (e.g. DSC, DDA) would yield more than .5 secs or even spool valved dampers (like the ZL1 1-LE) would even get you to 1.0+ difference on the same car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kenwood1113

Kenwood1113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on the advancements in suspension technology and my personal experiences I would expect better results than 1.5 seconds. Of course the coil-overs, if I go this route, will be just one aspect to this particular build.

I gave consideration to purchasing a GT3 RS but to be honest I believe that we can throw $30-$40K in mods at this car, have around $100K in it and have a unique track car. That being said, I regard the steering and PDK transmission in the GT3 RS to be among the best on the market but I love the 5.2 NA engines in these cars and I especially love the idea of having a "Mustang" that "exceeds expectations."

As someone said earlier, "to each is own". I realize that the money we spend to create marginal improvements in performance may not be "prudent" but it's something that we enjoy. Our family loves our cars, AMG's, M series, SVT's, exotics, etc. Most of all, we love unique. To me the GT350 is an outstanding platform and this is the car that I'm currently most interested in building.

Appreciate all the input and I look forward to learning how much performance we can wring out of these cars.

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1
I've been on the full Cortex/Jri coil-over set up for 3 months now, and I'm very happy with the results so far. I'm running double in the front and triple w/ reservoir in the rear.
My car is mainly set up for Auto X now but next year I'll be running Optima Challenge in the GT class, so we'll get to have some road course fun.
Also, working with Filip we figured out how to bypass the magnaride shocks without sending the car into ice mode.
You best bet would be to email Filip [email protected] or give him a call and discuss
how you want to set up your car.
Paul

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Based on the advancements in suspension technology and my personal experiences I would expect better results than 1.5 seconds. Of course the coil-overs, if I go this route, will be just one aspect to this particular build.

I gave consideration to purchasing a GT3 RS but to be honest I believe that we can throw $30-$40K in mods at this car, have around $100K in it and have a unique track car. That being said, I regard the steering and PDK transmission in the GT3 RS to be among the best on the market but I love the 5.2 NA engines in these cars and I especially love the idea of having a "Mustang" that "exceeds expectations."

As someone said earlier, "to each is own". I realize that the money we spend to create marginal improvements in performance may not be "prudent" but it's something that we enjoy. Our family loves our cars, AMG's, M series, SVT's, exotics, etc. Most of all, we love unique. To me the GT350 is an outstanding platform and this is the car that I'm currently most interested in building.

Appreciate all the input and I look forward to learning how much performance we can wring out of these cars.
I think I said “to each his own” but based on my experience you will slow the car down AND diminish the driveability. Save the race car parts for a race car and save your money. Not trying to be negative, but just maybe my comments will save someone who’s thinking coil overs are going to improve the gt350 performance a bunch of money and headaches. IMHO of course.

OP
OP
Kenwood1113

Kenwood1113

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been on the full Cortex/Jri coil-over set up for 3 months now, and I'm very happy with the results so far. I'm running double in the front and triple w/ reservoir in the rear.
My car is mainly set up for Auto X now but next year I'll be running Optima Challenge in the GT class, so we'll get to have some road course fun.
Also, working with Filip we figured out how to bypass the magnaride shocks without sending the car into ice mode.
You best bet would be to email Filip [email protected] or give him a call and discuss
how you want to set up your car.
Paul
Good info--thank you sir.

Dominator

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Maybe I missed it, are you selling this setup? Nothing wrong with that I suppose. The GT350 isn’t a race car so it confuses me slightly why one would want to reengineer the excellent stock setup and reduce the street ability and value of the car. To each his own. Regarding the stock shocks, if they were legal to run, I would be building a car around them now as I suspect it would go faster with stock shocks than with a $10,000 set of Dynamics and a year spent chasing chassis setup. Magneride is like cheating imho. :shrug:
No I do not sell them. Nor am I in anyway tied to them. I am in the process of purchasing them. Why is the GT350 not a race car?
As with anything, better can be had. The stock system has its limits and also its lack of spring choices. The only choice of springs with the stock system are ford performance springs and soon bmr. The stock magneride is not bad at all. But not is it perfect. A dsc controller can allow magneride tuning to the stock system with great results. But the coil overs allow more tuning, better dampers, corner balancing, faster response, better performance etc. some gt350 owners have also completely removed the magneride dampers and went to the more conventional coil over dampers. I also considered Ohlin coil overs but I love the beauty and adjustability of the Tractive. Plus it keeps the functional modes of our car. They are also not $10000.00.
Complete with front and rear dampers, springs, camber plates and dsc controller it is $8290.00

Sponsored

Dominator

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think I said “to each his own” but based on my experience you will slow the car down AND diminish the driveability. Save the race car parts for a race car and save your money. Not trying to be negative, but just maybe my comments will save someone who’s thinking coil overs are going to improve the gt350 performance a bunch of money and headaches. IMHO of course.
That’s because you like slow and stock.
Not everyone leaves a car stock and is happy with its stock performance. How are you to say that stock is faster when it’s proven not to be. Many others have already used the dsc controller on the stock magneride and gained both track performance and faster times and also improved the street ride.
If you like your car stock that’s fine. But not all do.

I have the feeling if someone told you 5 years ago that magneride would be better than conventional dampers you’d say the same thing. You already made the comment that “I’m your experience”. What may that be?
Technology is among us all. Tractive dampers are not new to the market. Do the research before being negative.
If you think the stock magneride is that great, and has no limits. Why is it not used on the FP350s and GT4.
I know for a fact the DSSV system is close to $20,000.00.
The Tractive system is a bargain and high quality.

Dominator

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Agreed, the Tractive system is very interesting and arguably the most sophisticated. It might be worth making a phone call to get an update on development.

Thanks
I already been talking too Jordan. The complete system is already been tested on their GT350.
I am placing my order now.

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1
some gt350 owners have also completely removed the magneride dampers and went to the more conventional coil over dampers
Who are the other GT350's out there that removed their magneride?
I'm pretty sure my car is the only one so far?

s
If you think the stock magneride is that great, and has no limits. Why is it not used on the FP350s and GT4.
It's illegal to run magneride suspension in those classes

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
That’s because you like slow and stock.
Not everyone leaves a car stock and is happy with its stock performance. How are you to say that stock is faster when it’s proven not to be. Many others have already used the dsc controller on the stock magneride and gained both track performance and faster times and also improved the street ride.
If you like your car stock that’s fine. But not all do.

I have the feeling if someone told you 5 years ago that magneride would be better than conventional dampers you’d say the same thing. You already made the comment that “I’m your experience”. What may that be?
Technology is among us all. Tractive dampers are not new to the market. Do the research before being negative.
I know for a fact the DSSV system is close to $20,000.00.
The Tractive system is a bargain and high quality.
My experience? I don’t know if it counts with you but it’s thousands of race laps and dozens of wins in a bunch of cars, mostly mustangs, at tracks all over the country. Cars that I built and tuned. Winning championships. Making all the dumbass mistakes possible with suspensions in search of another tenth of a second. Driving my GT350R on track at Sebring. I don’t know, who are you? Prove to me you have any idea what you are talking about. Prove to me it’s faster. Bring the tech.

But you can’t. And this is pointless because it’s not a race car. One lap of America and HPDE isn’t racing. So if you’re not racing, why f it up?

Oh, and the race cars would use the tech it if it were legal. But it’s not.

Reactions: CSL

Dominator

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
My experience? I don’t know if it counts with you but it’s thousands of race laps and dozens of wins in a bunch of cars, mostly mustangs, at tracks all over the country. Cars that I built and tuned. Winning championships. Making all the dumbass mistakes possible with suspensions in search of another tenth of a second. Driving my GT350R on track at Sebring. I don’t know, who are you? Prove to me you have any idea what you are talking about. Prove to me it’s faster. Bring the tech.

But you can’t. And this is pointless because it’s not a race car. One lap of America and HPDE isn’t racing. So if you’re not racing, why f it up?

Oh, and the race cars would use the tech it if it were legal. But it’s not.
How can you say that it’s not faster with coil overs or Tractive?
Prove the stock suspension is the best. It’s not proven and or I can’t prove it. I don’t have that data as of yet. Someone has to be the pioneer and take the step.
Nothing is available for the stock magneride except dsc controller and that alone is proven to reduce track times by over 1.5 seconds, not tenths of seconds. We have one choice of aftermarket springs, FP and that’s it.
As you know, coil over springs are limitless in choices. Coil overs allow corner balancing. If your happy with your cars performance that’s good. But others want more.
Are you saying Paul is wrong for choosing to remove his magneride and gong to coil overs? He’s happy with his choice and performance. That’s all that matters.
Sponsored