Sponsored

GT350 oil filter housing fit RHD GT?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Coupe Race Red 6MT
I am wondering if the GT350 oil filter adapter can be used to set up a air-oil cooler arrangement on a RHD GT? I might need to get a unit to try and see. Meanwhile, can someone help with the following:
- there is a new cartridge filter unit M-6881-52CA, does anyone have handy the part # for the original spin on filter unit which is what would prefer so I can use the performance oil filters? How can I find GT350 parts diagram and part # for GT350 engine oil cooler parts?
- has anyone tapped the housing oil lines ports for AN fittings or know the ID of the ports?
- any pictures of this housing in situ so I can compare position to see if there obvious issues in fitment to RHD before sourcing a unit
- if anyone has replaced their housing with the cartridge unit and have it available, could they PM
Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I would like some photos if you could of the takeoff housing and the part #. The ID of the oil line ports would be use useful as well. I have looked at the MMR kit, but it does not have a thermostat. The Improved Racing filter boss and thermostat or such like would need to go with it and this would avoid extra plumbing of a separate inline thermostat. The GT350 looks like it has a thermostat (big hex on it) built in.

TJCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350
Here are some pictures of the oil filter housing that came off of my 2016 GT350 with spin on type filter. There is no thermostat in the engine oil coolers. The engine oil pump pushes oil through the filter and then through the cooler and back into the engine. The hex you see in these pictures is a bypass that will bypass the filter if it were to fail and not let oil go through it.

The hex with the electrical connector is the oil pressure sensor.

The holes where the oil cooler hoses attach are .853" ID and .545" deep to the first step. I don't think the holes could be tapped for AN fittings like you were hoping.

I think the number cast into the old housing for the spin on filter is RFGR 3E-6884-EA.

This is how the hoses attatch to the filter housing on the GT350.
100_0153.JPG
100_0157.JPG
100_0156.JPG
100_0165.JPG
100_0152.JPG

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Thanks TJCShelby that is extremely helpful. It is interesting that there is no thermostat, set up as race car so longer oil warm up times for street. That reduces the attractiveness of exploring this path but it would still be interesting to see if it clears the RHD rack if one wanted to go down a OEM fitment path. I agree that tapping for AN probably will not work: hole just slightly too large for 10AN thread and 12AN thread (1.1250" dia major) will probably take out too much remaining wall. An AN weld on to the OEM O ring steel hose end is probably the go.

Sponsored

TJCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350
Sorry I can't help on your car more because I have never seen a RHD Mustang. I don't know if there is equipment in that area that's not on LHD. Maybe some RHD owners can help you out on that. I have a couple more pictures of mine with the cartridge type. The lines going to the cooler go between the front cross member and the sway bar and that will be the same for both type housings. Anything else I help with let me know.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate the help, the in situ pictures are helpful to see on car orientation. Once I get back to Australia end of this week (working in Tokyo on business) I will have a look at my car and see if things look like they might fit based on your picture. We know that the standard USA GT oil filter housing and cooler will not fit as it hits the RHD rack motor.
Sponsored