Sponsored

Got quoted full MSRP for a '15...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming soon
This will be my first car purchase and it shows. I walked into Galpin Ford in the Valley and test drove a '15 GT Premium w/ Nav, LoJack, Premier trim, and Reverse park assistance. It was indeed a sweet car. I went into the office to talk numbers with absolutely no ammo. I just wanted to test drive the car and get an idea of what kind of numbers they would throw at me.

They quoted me full MSRP of $41K -500 rebate + $4200 in taxes and licenses. So around $44,700 out the door. I tried to negotiate using the x-plan and they said they only take x-plans with preorders, not cars on the lot. So I asked if they honored truecar estimates and they said they wouldn't. The sales guy insisted that the GT's are going 2k above MSRP and that was the reason why.

I'm extremely inexperienced with car purchases, but I really thought I could do better than that. I think I'll start e-mailing several dealerships in the west coast and try to negotiate that way, but honestly it seems like it would be cheaper just to preorder the '16 as of now.

Is $38.5k OTD for a '15 GT Premium Auto, with Navigation, Premier Trim and Enhanced Security package unrealistic?

I feel like they're taking advantage of me because I'm young and inexperienced. Any feedback, tips or experiences would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Wow...that sucks.

I thought I have read on hear that Galpin was good to deal with? Maybe not.

fmusignac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Sounds like you are right... Shop around, get the to fight over you! Need patience when dealing with sales people like that.

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I said wait until the end of the month. Shop around a bit and pitch prices you got from other dealership. I used this method and got my EB premium with Nav for 27K OTD.

Edit: I did this method with 3 other cars in the family and all bought about 5500+ under MSRP.

PhillMcKraken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
They absolutely are ripping you off. Go to a different dealer. Getting close to invoice cost should be very doable, especially for something on the lot. I think accepting xplan is a dealer choice, but I still think they should accept it no matter what if they are a Ford dealer.

Sponsored

5.0_newguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I got my 15 gt pp premium. everything except Recaros and the cruise control sensors here in NC for 38500 out the door! and from what I have seen for similar cars 40k seems to be average... since 16s are coming out soon you should be able to get a killer deal on a 15 with dealers trying to make room for the new inventory. IMO walk away from that deal quickly

cowzrul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '20 F-Pace SVR, '19 F250
If you have X Plan available to you that would be the most I would pay. Many times you can even get a better deal. You did good by walking away. If they want to sell a car they can call you later and agree to X Plan pricing. If you are serious and ready to move I would go through the steps on TrueCar and let them submit your info to dealers. Internet Sales are usually monitoring those emails and will respond to your request. From there you can negotiate X Plan or better. You are in control.

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
You said it yourself you were unprepared.

Sit down, do your research/homework. See what similar cars are selling for in your area, and make the dealership compete to get the sale. It's a great tactic to make dealerships 'fight for your business' so to speak. Pit them against each other.

Next time prepare yourself and you'll come out ahead. LOL at salesman saying they sell for 2k over msrp.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Call them back and ask to speak to the sales manager. I think you will get a better response. Tell them you can get x-plan anywhere, why should I go with your dealer? If you can do better, we can do a deal right now

Sponsored
OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming soon
Wow...that sucks.

I thought I have read on hear that Galpin was good to deal with? Maybe not.
From what I heard they are good to deal with, but I think it was because I was unprepared maybe?

I said wait until the end of the month. Shop around a bit and pitch prices you got from other dealership. I used this method and got my EB premium with Nav for 27K OTD.

Edit: I did this method with 3 other cars in the family and all bought about 5500+ under MSRP.
Nice deal on the EB. Now that I have a taste of what it's like I'll definitely have to plan smarter.

If you have X Plan available to you that would be the most I would pay. Many times you can even get a better deal. You did good by walking away. If they want to sell a car they can call you later and agree to X Plan pricing. If you are serious and ready to move I would go through the steps on TrueCar and let them submit your info to dealers. Internet Sales are usually monitoring those emails and will respond to your request. From there you can negotiate X Plan or better. You are in control.
Not a bad idea. Thanks.

Call them back and ask to speak to the sales manager. I think you will get a better response. Tell them you can get x-plan anywhere, why should I go with your dealer? If you can do better, we can do a deal right now
I'm joining MCA as I write this. Will have to come up with something else.

You said it yourself you were unprepared.

Sit down, do your research/homework. See what similar cars are selling for in your area, and make the dealership compete to get the sale. It's a great tactic to make dealerships 'fight for your business' so to speak. Pit them against each other.

Next time prepare yourself and you'll come out ahead. LOL at salesman saying they sell for 2k over msrp.
I plan to and I was hoping they would be one I can use to compete with someone else, but full MSRP, I don't even need that on paper...

Thanks for the feedback.

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
I just wanted to test drive the car and get an idea of what kind of numbers they would throw at me.

They quoted me full MSRP
I'm not surprised that they quoted you MSRP. If you told your salesperson anything along these lines, then you did not sound like a serious buyer and he likely dismissed you. Did he actually start working a deal with the manager? If they don't start a deal in writing, you're not likely to ever hear numbers far south of MSRP. If they did start a deal on paper and wouldn't budge, then they assumed you weren't a serious buyer.

Like others have suggested you do, the salesperson likely assumed you were just trying to use him as ammo for a deal elsewhere. While I support this method, you have to appear serious to get competitive quotes.

For comparison, I got my GT Premium ($42,900 MSRP) for about $41,200 OTD in Texas. That works out to $4,800 off ($500 Ford Customer Cash + $4,300 dealer discount) +TTL.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I feel like they're taking advantage of me because I'm young and inexperienced.
And THIS is how you get experience buying cars. Walk away, get your facts in order and try again. Either at this dealer or another.

Know what you plan on paying before you walk in. Be prepared to walk away.

And never let them know you are excited about the car. As hard as that sounds, you have to make it look like you are doing them a favor buying the car, not the other way around.

5.Owned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
38.5 plus tax and fee's should be a deal,i wouldn't buy if it wasn't close to that!

NVPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP
38.5 plus tax and fee's should be a deal,i wouldn't buy if it wasn't close to that!
I have a GT PP that I got in Oct and it's about what your car is as far as options. MSRP was 43.5. I paid around 38.5 after xplan and 750 rebate. I was one of the early ones to get the car. not sure if that helps.
Sponsored