Sponsored

Gonna do first oil change at 790mi, ok to use Valvoline or need to go to dealer?

gothampony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package 1
Any reason why I can't just go to Valvoline on a Sunday and get it done? My week is busy and dealer is hard to get appt with right now. Also is oil change at 790mi ok? Not too late for first change? I haven't hit this car very hard really.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Forget the dealer. Just be sure they put 10 litres in it and ask them if they would fill the filter to help with the dry start. And yes, first thousand miles is ideal!

OP
OP
gothampony

gothampony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Thank you sir, what is dry start? And 10liters of which oil should I be using (I'm sure they'll have a book that tells them but anything I should be preferring?). Also filling the filter means coating or soaking it with oil as well as adding the 10 liters? Also another dumb question, 10 liters is within the max amount and not risk of overflow? Do they usually do less?

So many dumb questions for a Sunday, thanks sir.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Thank you sir, what is dry start? And 10liters of which oil should I be using (I'm sure they'll have a book that tells them but anything I should be preferring?). Also filling the filter means coating or soaking it with oil as well as adding the 10 liters? Also another dumb question, 10 liters is within the max amount and not risk of overflow? Do they usually do less?

So many dumb questions for a Sunday, thanks sir.

The books are not always correct or up to date. Make sure they put in 10 litres and not 8! You want them to fill the filter with oil because it takes a while for the oil pump to fill the filter and get it circulating into the engine (yes they should also coat the rubber ring). That makes it happen faster. Choose the oil you want to use going forward. I suggest a full synthetic. Check the dip stick before you leave to make sure everything is correct.

OP
OP
gothampony

gothampony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
The books are not always correct or up to date. Make sure they put in 10 litres and not 8! You want them to fill the filter with oil because it takes a while for the oil pump to fill the filter and get it circulating into the engine (yes they should also coat the rubber ring). That makes it happen faster. Choose the oil you want to use going forward. I suggest a full synthetic. Check the dip stick before you leave to make sure everything is correct.
Thank you kindly sir. Will do.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I would wait a little longer.
Change at 3000 miles.
Drive normally first 1000 miles.
Drive semi hard between 1000-2000 miles.
Drive hard between 2000-3000 miles.
Change oil.
Sponsored