Going in too fast?

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
As a beginner you should focus on two things - being smooth and hitting your marks. The key to getting better is to get really good at one skill at a time. Once you can do that intuitively, more on to the next skill.

More grip will just allow you to hit the wall harder.
I'm smooth, just a little too slow when applying the brakes to max.
My experience isn't exactly zero and I am looking at moving to intermediate soon for HPDE. Really the last skill I want to learn is rev matching flawlessly.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm smooth, just a little too slow when applying the brakes to max.
For HPDE that's not entirely a bad thing . . . though it's reasonably easy to improve upon.

Something I just read that may be related - it's better to focus more on some end-of-braking point than on an initial brake point marker. Might have been by Ross Bentley.

My experience isn't exactly zero and I am looking at moving to intermediate soon for HPDE. Really the last skill I want to learn is rev matching flawlessly.
Simple rev matching is not only easy, it's easy enough to work into your street driving. Adding braking to that (heel-toe) is the trickier part, but once again that isn't exactly a requirement for enjoying a HPDE outing. Nice to have, but really optional.

Norm