Sponsored

FRPP track shocks with BMR handling springs?

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I already have the FRPP track handling kit but before I install it I wanted to swap out the progressive FR springs with something linear. The BMR handling springs seem to have the firmest rate of all that are available, which is a plus to me since I will be tracking the car on r-compound tires (it is also my daily driver).

Has anyone paired this set up and if so what are your thoughts? Are there any reasons why I shouldn't consider the BMR springs with these shocks? I was initially leaning towards Steeda Ultralites however the BMR springs have a slightly heavier rate which is preferable to me.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Steeda Dual Rate Comp Springs (which is not the same as progressive - they are linear while driving) are firmer by 50 lbs. up front and I think 220 lbs. in the back. I have them. Excellent springs on track and with my Steeda adjustable dampers, no problem on the road. .75" drop all around so you retain great and necessary suspension travel but not a rake look. That said, the BMR springs will be fine on those dampers (has been done before), though I'd rather you get into an adjustable like Steeda Pro-Action or Koni Yellow (Steedas have more compression control and different rebound valving but both will do the job). You can do the Steeda fixed dampers, too - after all, I run my adjustables basically at what the fixed damper valve settings are.

A GREAT combination if you want to find it is the Swift Spec R rate up front (like 270-ish) and the Steeda Ultralite rate (like 880-ish) in the rear. I did that for about 2 days as I was transitioning springs and liked it a lot.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I already have the FRPP track handling kit but before I install it I wanted to swap out the progressive FR springs with something linear. The BMR handling springs seem to have the firmest rate of all that are available, which is a plus to me since I will be tracking the car on r-compound tires (it is also my daily driver).

Has anyone paired this set up and if so what are your thoughts? Are there any reasons why I shouldn't consider the BMR springs with these shocks? I was initially leaning towards Steeda Ultralites however the BMR springs have a slightly heavier rate which is preferable to me.
I would highly recommend this combination.

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Steeda Dual Rate Comp Springs (which is not the same as progressive - they are linear while driving) are firmer by 50 lbs. up front and I think 220 lbs. in the back. I have them. Excellent springs on track and with my Steeda adjustable dampers, no problem on the road. .75" drop all around so you retain great and necessary suspension travel but not a rake look. That said, the BMR springs will be fine on those dampers (has been done before), though I'd rather you get into an adjustable like Steeda Pro-Action or Koni Yellow (Steedas have more compression control and different rebound valving but both will do the job). You can do the Steeda fixed dampers, too - after all, I run my adjustables basically at what the fixed damper valve settings are.

A GREAT combination if you want to find it is the Swift Spec R rate up front (like 270-ish) and the Steeda Ultralite rate (like 880-ish) in the rear. I did that for about 2 days as I was transitioning springs and liked it a lot.
Interesting, the dual rate springs are not something i'm all that fond of though. Adjustable shocks are not a priority for me purely because I find I never touch them. I tend to set what is best on the track and just put up with it on the street :D. Granted that having the adjustment allows tuning for the best set up on the track, but not really looking for that this time around. I suspect the dual rate springs you are talking about may be a touch too heavy for the FR shocks to control adequately?

I would highly recommend this combination.

[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] have you run this arrangement? Thoughts?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, the dual rate springs are not something i'm all that fond of though. Adjustable shocks are not a priority for me purely because I find I never touch them. I tend to set what is best on the track and just put up with it on the street :D. Granted that having the adjustment allows tuning for the best set up on the track, but not really looking for that this time around. I suspect the dual rate springs you are talking about may be a touch too heavy for the FR shocks to control adequately?

[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] have you run this arrangement? Thoughts?
My setup is very close for spring rate (I have the handling rear springs, just with GT350R fronts because I didn't want as much drop as the handling fronts give at 1.2") and damping (Steeda Fixed Pro Actions). [MENTION=26233]Rebellion[/MENTION] has the FRPP dampers with the same springs as I do and without riding in each other's cars, our feedback between ourselves is that it feels quite similar. The dampers are good for those rates.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Interesting, the dual rate springs are not something i'm all that fond of though. Adjustable shocks are not a priority for me purely because I find I never touch them. I tend to set what is best on the track and just put up with it on the street :D. Granted that having the adjustment allows tuning for the best set up on the track, but not really looking for that this time around. I suspect the dual rate springs you are talking about may be a touch too heavy for the FR shocks to control adequately
Yeah. I wouldn't use the frpp shocks with the dual rates.

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
My setup is very close for spring rate (I have the handling rear springs, just with GT350R fronts because I didn't want as much drop as the handling fronts give at 1.2") and damping (Steeda Fixed Pro Actions). [MENTION=26233]Rebellion[/MENTION] has the FRPP dampers with the same springs as I do and without riding in each other's cars, our feedback between ourselves is that it feels quite similar. The dampers are good for those rates.
I think i'll have to dig back through your build thread and have another read :). IIRC the 350R springs are ~270 lbs in the front with a 3/4" drop? Is your concern with the front ride height being too low to do with negative affects of bump steer?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think i'll have to dig back through your build thread and have another read :). IIRC the 350R springs are ~270 lbs in the front with a 3/4" drop? Is your concern with the front ride height being too low to do with negative affects of bump steer?
They're approximately 245-250. My concern is that it's my daily driver and being too low could cause issues. Also I prefer the look at 0.7-0.8" drop over 1" or more. If you're patient, Kelly [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] has some stuff cooking related to these springs.
Sponsored