Sponsored

Front indicator issue

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Help.....Hi all, I am having indicator issues on my 2016 Mustang on the drivers side front. The indicator stops working intermittently. It's actually been happening for awhile but didn't realise, however now it happens a lot more frequently. I can tell its happening as the indicator light hyper flashes on the dash. I thought potentially the LED which I've had for ages, was starting to fail, so i removed and replaced with oem bulb and same issue. For some reason it seems to happen while car is running. I can have the indicator on with only accessories and it's fine but as soon as I start the car the indicator stops flashing outside. It will start working again after turning the indicator on and off a random number of times. All other indicators work fine. Its frustrating and I'm at a total loss, I may have to go to an auto electrician to sort it out. Any ideas anyone.
Sponsored

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any DTCs present? This could be quite a few things and you should first check for BCM or SJB related error codes.

Have you tried just re-seating the lamp connector, first?

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Any DTCs present? This could be quite a few things and you should first check for BCM or SJB related error codes.

Have you tried just re-seating the lamp connector, first?
Hi mate sorry for my ignorance but what do the acronyms DTC, BCM or SJB mean. What do you mean by reseating the connector.

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi mate sorry for my ignorance but what do the acronyms DTC, BCM or SJB mean. What do you mean by reseating the connector.
Unplug and re-plug in the electrical connector to the light housing. Sometimes it is just that simple. Also check the fuse for the affected light.... pull and re-insert the fuse. (We are ruling out the easy things first).

DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code
BCM = Body Control Module
SJB = Smart Junction Box

Use an ODB2 scanner to see if you have any DTC codes at all and report back here. Here in the US we can go to an autoparts store and most will scan the car for free.

We dont want to just throw parts at the problem or assume "modules failed." We will see what the car has to say....

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Unplug and re-plug in the electrical connector to the light housing. Sometimes it is just that simple. Also check the fuse for the affected light.... pull and re-insert the fuse. (We are ruling out the easy things first).

DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code
BCM = Body Control Module
SJB = Smart Junction Box

Use an ODB2 scanner to see if you have any DTC codes at all and report back here. Here in the US we can go to an autoparts store and most will scan the car for free.

We dont want to just throw parts at the problem or assume "modules failed." We will see what the car has to say....
Cheers, never heard of the scan service in Australia. Which fuse number is it, the owners book doesn't say anything about turn signals.

Cheers

Last edited:

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to see if you have error codes, like in this thread, which will help with next-steps. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/turn-signal-relay.183866/

I would:
  • An auto electrician or dealer might be your best bet to diagnose/fix.
  • Disconnect the battery for a few minutes to see if it resolves the issue. You could pull fuses, but this might be enough.
  • Disconnect and re-connect the lamp housing to rule our a bad connection
  • Scan for ODB2 error codes (DTCs), as I mentioned above.
Modern lights are not controlled via direct fuses or relays anymore. They are powered via the BCM. Any error codes will be insightful.

Good luck!
Sponsored