HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I've purchased around 40 new personal vehicles and am often fascinated by statements from dealer personnel that don't make sense.

Yesterday was the latest.

A condition for ordering my 2016 GT was a free loaner car any time it would be in the shop for warranty work that took more than a day. They did not agree easily.

When I picked up the car yesterday, the subject came up and the sales manager claimed that Ford would be paying for the loaner and that that was standard policy.

I said I didn't care who paid for it but my written contract was for the dealer to provide the loaner. I told them I have read reports from numerous new Mustang owners who did NOT get a free loaner when their car was in for lengthy warranty repairs and didn't understand that, if it really was Ford's policy to provide free loaners for all multi-day warranty work.

Their explanation was that some dealers didn't inform the customers they could have a free loaner. I asked why a dealer wouldn't go out of their way to make sure the customer knew because those customers would likely give bad references for the dealer as well as Ford for having to deal with the loss of the car. They quickly changed the subject.

So, in case they were telling the truth that Ford will pay for a loaner car for all multi-day warranty work, this is a heads up. All you have to do is ask.

And if they were not telling the truth (where my money is), what is the possible reason for making up such a story? They weren't verbally backed into any corner or anything and went out of their way to bring this up months after the deal was signed.

My best guess is that dealers can sometimes talk Ford into paying for a loaner on a case by case basis and were sort of thinking out loud about planning to always make a case to Ford if my car needed work and hoping Ford approved so they didn't have to pay out of their pocket.

Brian Five-O (sp?) or other dealer employees on the forums: any input?
Sponsored

ibinubu12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 2.3L Premium MT82 EB PP
As far as I can tell it depends on the dealer.

I had the EPAS rack on my Focus fail and the dealer provided an Enterprise rental from their on-premises rental desk without even having to ask.

Fast forward two years to when my Focus' clutch pack needed to be replaced and a different dealer said "it's backordered three to four weeks, and your car is undriveable so you can't have it back" and then refused to provide a rental saying I would have to call Ford and request it.

Jackie Chan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Corvette ZR1
rentals come with ford esp's, not the basic warranty

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
As far as I can tell it depends on the dealer.

I had the EPAS rack on my Focus fail and the dealer provided an Enterprise rental from their on-premises rental desk without even having to ask.

Fast forward two years to when my Focus' clutch pack needed to be replaced and a different dealer said "it's backordered three to four weeks, and your car is undriveable so you can't have it back" and then refused to provide a rental saying I would have to call Ford and request it.
That is what I believed to be the norm and why I insisted on a document stating the dealer would provide a free loaner for any warranty work that takes more than a day.

But as a customer I prefer for the manufacturer to have a policy of free loaners. Getting a loaner is important but getting it from the manufacturer is worth 10 times as much because it means they take the hit for not having parts available and not the customer or the dealer. If the manufacturer doesn't pay for a loaner, they have less incentive to get parts out and repairs done quickly.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
rentals come with ford esp's, not the basic warranty
Or as a separate written agreement with the dealer.

I was buying on an A plan for the first time so there was no difference in cost between dealers. Ford audits to make sure dealers don't sell below the A plan price (for an A plan sale). But you can negotiate other perks. I do all my own maintenance so that wasn't anything I wanted but I told the dealers, I would buy from the one that guaranteed a free loaner for any warranty work that takes more than a day.

Sponsored

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
My information is not factual, just based off of my understanding...

All "New" vehicles under 36,001 miles can get a loaner car. We just need to ask.

In one case I was told no, had to pay for it (One day service). Another time they had it for four days, and they automatically offered a loaner car. I asked why this time and not last time, they said because it was over a 24 hour period.

Another time, over the 36,001 miles, told to get my own rental car.

In each case I did not have an ESP.

Now, yesterday we purchased a new 2016 GT and purchased the Premium Care that includes the loaner day one and the enhanced option for the $60 per day rental car (Instead of the tiny bear cans on wheels).

As such, I do think it depends on what the mileage is, the dealership decisions and the warranty purchase choices made.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My information is not factual, just based off of my understanding...

All "New" vehicles under 36,001 miles can get a loaner car. We just need to ask.

In one case I was told no, had to pay for it (One day service). Another time they had it for four days, and they automatically offered a loaner car. I asked why this time and not last time, they said because it was over a 24 hour period.

Another time, over the 36,001 miles, told to get my own rental car.

In each case I did not have an ESP.

Now, yesterday we purchased a new 2016 GT and purchased the Premium Care that includes the loaner day one and the enhanced option for the $60 per day rental car (Instead of the tiny bear cans on wheels).

As such, I do think it depends on what the mileage is, the dealership decisions and the warranty purchase choices made.
Now that pretty much matches what my dealer said. So what I can't figure out is why any dealer doesn't go out of their way to get a loaner for all customers with lengthy repairs. Obviously those customers would be happier if they had a loaner because you see them complaining about not getting one in these forums.

That tells me there has to be some disincentive for dealers to give customers a loaner a car and I'm curious what that is. Do they stiff a customer just to avoid having to submit a claim to Ford? Or does Ford not reimburse them completely? Or ????

Stevdug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350, 2015 Z06, 1986 SVO, 1990 ZR-1
Vehicle Showcase
The ford dealer nearest me has provided a free loaner twice for warranty work on my 15 f150, they are not the dealer I purchased the truck from and I did not purchase a extended plan.

SkattrBrane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 Race Red
Dealer closest to me would not extend me a loaner car for warranty work on a 2015 GT w/ 9k miles. They would have had the car for 3 days. I went to the other dealer across town and they offered me a loaner without a hesitation. They are a smaller dealer and seemed more customer service oriented. The big dealer (D&D Ford) was a high volume, sell and forget type of dealership. There is a huge complaint against the whole situation with them also, but that's another story. It seems to me that Ford does not want to get involved in dealership issues and as long as they are selling volume, Ford corporate could care less...

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ford will give you a loaner while work is actively being done on the car, not while it is waiting for parts, even if it is not drive-able. Same with GM, only every GM dealer I've been to has been far happier to give me a loaner vehicle.

Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
My dealer went so far as to stamp my papers with a giant, red rubber stamp, "no free oil changes", which means they also went so far as to design and purchase a giant, red rubber stamp that reads, "no free oil changes".

Free loaners? Out of the question.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Last time I had a dealer change my oil was in my 2014 Silverado. They put 6 out of the 8 quarts needed in. Their excuse: we haven't trained the team yet on the new Silverados.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Last time I had a dealer change my oil was in my 2014 Silverado. They put 6 out of the 8 quarts needed in. Their excuse: we haven't trained the team yet on the new Silverados.
I never let a dealer or shop do anything I can do even if I have to buy tools or inexpensive parts myself.

My Cadillac has 100% free maintenance and I still do my own maintenance.

I am fully trained on my cars. Unlike service techs, I never work on my car hung over or to earn overtime for alimony or child support payments or while pissed that my team lost or distracted by any number of things. I don't take any shortcuts on my cars. I work on them when that has my full and undivided attention and I'm not rushed, tired, etc..

Jackie Chan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Corvette ZR1
I never let a dealer or shop do anything I can do even if I have to buy tools or inexpensive parts myself.

My Cadillac has 100% free maintenance and I still do my own maintenance.

I am fully trained on my cars. Unlike service techs, I never work on my car hung over or to earn overtime for alimony or child support payments or while pissed that my team lost or distracted by any number of things. I don't take any shortcuts on my cars. I work on them when that has my full and undivided attention and I'm not rushed, tired, etc..
Must be nice being perfect. I'm sure techs everywhere weep at the thought they will never get to do any work on your cars. Of course I'm guessing a cock strong internet poster like yourself meant to group all techs into divorcees or "baby daddies" on the hook for payments for their broken homes.

Im pretty sure the line of,"I like to do all of my maintenance on my cars" would suffice

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Totally up to the dealer unless you are on ESP plan. Larger dealers use ths "perk" as an incentive to buy from them.
Sponsored