• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ford Aerodynamics

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Grabber Blue, 2007 Mustang
I posted a pic in one of the threads about this, these appear to be where the car sits on the assembly jig. In their minds, its not a problem and therefore no "fix" wil be offered. Get the DIYVan kit, its really nice.
Sponsored

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Did the s550 sit on the same type of jig? I didn't think there were drastic changes from the s550 to the s650 undercarriage. I do know Ford did use newer wind tunnel testing on s650 that led to covers,strakes and hood venting changes.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I posted a pic in one of the threads about this, these appear to be where the car sits on the assembly jig. In their minds, its not a problem and therefore no "fix" wil be offered. Get the DIYVan kit, its really nice.
While i agree, its potentially conflicting to claim a couple of strakes makes such a big difference but openings in a closure inline with the flow don’t potentially vary the turbulence - as well, although and but …

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
While i agree, its potentially conflicting to claim a couple of strakes makes such a big difference but openings in a closure inline with the flow don’t potentially vary the turbulence - as well, although and but …
The Ford Aerodynamics Engineer in charge of the S650 already confirmed you can close them off without affecting anything related to aerodynamics. AFAIC, there is nothing conflicting about his words to me.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Negative.

The engineer that I work with (who contacted the Ford aero engineer Jonathan Gesek, who said it was safe to block off the hole) was finally able to speak to Jonathan's boss over this past weekend.

The slot/hole is 100% there to facilitate the manufacturing process. No, the vehicle is not sitting on something that goes through that slot. Apparently, there's an piece of eqiupment (robot?) of some sort that either uses that hole to access something underneath the liner OR that slot actually accommodates the tool that is used to position the wheel well liner itself.

I asked the engineer (here) what part it helped install, and he said, "We discussed it, but everybody was drinking and I forgot what he told me it held/helped install.

He did indicate that there were no plans to modify the process or "plug" the hole, and that he agreed with Jonathan that there was no harm covering/closing the hole.

For what it's worth, that's what it's for.

I haven't been driving the DH that much lately ... still need to install my DIYVan kit, though. The duct tape is holding, but I don't drive when it's raining.

Last edited:

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Negative.

The engineer that I work with (who contacted the Ford aero engineer Jonathan Gesek, who said it was safe to block off the hole) was finally able to speak to Jonathan's boss over this past weekend.

The slot/hole is 100% there to facilitate the manufacturing process. No, the vehicle is not sitting on something that goes through that slot. Apparently, there's an piece of eqiupment (robot?) of some sort that either uses that hole to access something underneath the liner OR that slot actually accommodates the tool that is used to position the wheel well liner itself.

I asked the engineer (here) what part it helped install, and he said, "We discussed it, but everybody was drinking and I forgot what he told me it held/helped install.

He did indicate that there were not plan to modify the process or "plug" the hole, and that he agreed with Jonathan that there was no harm covering/closing the hole.

For what it's worth, that's what it's for.

I haven't been driving the DH that much lately ... still need to install my DIYVan kit, though. The duct tape is holding, but I don't drive when it's raining.
Really appreciate you getting to the bottom of this situation for us. It's kind of disappointing that they is no plan to modify or plug the hole but at least we know that's it not an issue with plugging the hole and honestly it's a good idea IMHO to plug the hole.

I too have been using tape to cover the hole until more clarity was given on the matter. Now I guess I should probably order the DIY Van kit and get that done sometime soon so I will put it on my ever growing to do list:)

Also I sent you a PM regarding some follow up questions about tint so hopefully you don't mind:)